Levo Gen 2 Thinking about a Zeb Ultimate on my 21 Levo Comp...question...

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
So now that I have the EXT eStoria on my 21 Levo Comp it seems unbalanced with the Fox 36 Float fork and I am thinking about replacing it with a ZEB Ultimate in 160mm. My question is, should I get the 44mm offset version? That will make it a bit more slack correct (which is what I want). I assume this is a straight forward swap?

Also, will the calipers bolt straight on without any spacers for the stock rotors?

Thanks!

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
Had both the Ultimate and Select. Great forks and they will take a 200mm rotor stock. Other sizes will need adapters/spacers. If you're looking for slacker you'll like the 44mm.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
It's always hard to get "balanced" suspension, when you have coil shock and air fork. But yes RS Zeb is very sensitive fork, but heavier than Fox 36.
And depends how much you weight, because if your are a light guy it's easier play with the air pressure. So the light guy can get very sensitive Fox 36 fork. Just change to better oil and less air.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Dropout offset doesn't change head angle. It changes rake. Which in turn alters trail.

Changing axle to crown length (eg. more travel or a taller crown like the Zeb has) will alter H/A and seat tube angle and also (slightly) alter BB height.

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
It's always hard to get "balanced" suspension, when you have coil shock and air fork. But yes RS Zeb is very sensitive fork, but heavier than Fox 36.
And depends how much you weight, because if your are a light guy it's easier play with the air pressure. So the light guy can get very sensitive Fox 36 fork. Just change to better oil and less air.

Yeah that's one other reasons I am looking at the Zeb as I am about 245lbs with gear on....so needless to say not a lightweight rider, lol.

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
Dropout offset doesn't change head angle. It changes rake. Which in turn alters trail.

Changing axle to crown length (eg. more travel or a taller crown like the Zeb has) will alter H/A and seat tube angle and also (slightly) alter BB height.

Thank you makes sense.

killjoyken

Mar 10, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
I had a Zeb Ultimate 170mm on my 2020 Levo and it's now a 160mm on my Stumpjumper Evo. I'm running the 38 Elite on my 2022 Levo and IMO it's a little better than the Zeb. Neither fork is perfect but it will depend on what you're looking for in a fork and your riding conditions.

If you've got the time and the knowledge you can fine tune the 38 better than the Zeb. The Zeb has less adjustments but enough to make it really good. The Grip2 on the 38 allows you to tune it to really, really good. The 38 does have more feedback through the bars on rough trails but I wouldn't call it harsh at all. Once I learned to stop trying to make forks "plush" my cornering speed increased exponentially. This is the first Levo I've owned where I don't feel the need to upgrade the suspension.

You can't go wrong with either, but my choice is the 38 with the Grip2 damper with the 44 offset.

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
I had a Zeb Ultimate 170mm on my 2020 Levo and it's now a 160mm on my Stumpjumper Evo. I'm running the 38 Elite on my 2022 Levo and IMO it's a little better than the Zeb. Neither fork is perfect but it will depend on what you're looking for in a fork and your riding conditions.

If you've got the time and the knowledge you can fine tune the 38 better than the Zeb. The Zeb has less adjustments but enough to make it really good. The Grip2 on the 38 allows you to tune it to really, really good. The 38 does have more feedback through the bars on rough trails but I wouldn't call it harsh at all. Once I learned to stop trying to make forks "plush" my cornering speed increased exponentially. This is the first Levo I've owned where I don't feel the need to upgrade the suspension.

You can't go wrong with either, but my choice is the 38 with the Grip2 damper with the 44 offset.

Thanks for that information! Seems to be the common consensus all around. They are both great forks but the Fox is just a bit better once dialed in. Tough choice.......

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles