The Trek sizer says I am a size "ML" but the Rail only has sizes M and L

bikechiq

Nov 1, 2020
Littleton
The Trek sizer says I am a size "ML" but the Rail only has sizes M and L so which one should I go for?

Does ML mean I could go either M or L?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Yup - Med or Large.
By your @bikechiq name I am guessing you are female? That being so, if you are not going for a ladies specific bike I would most definitely recommend Medium.

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
Here's a link to the Rail sizing guide from the Trek NZ web site:

It's still best to try one in store if possible.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Even if you're on the cusp between medium and large, you'll likely be more comfortable on a medium. I was right between large and XL. Never got to try a large but rode an XL round the car park. I did feel a bit stretched out on it. Shop staff said that would only be exaggerated once I rode the trails. Also told me the bigger bike would be more of a handful to corner. Ended up getting the large and I love it, feel right at home

aklemm

Jul 23, 2020
Atascadero, CA
How tall are you?

I'm 5'10" and the L Rail felt perfect when I put some test miles on one. I'm usually in between a M and L.

5'9" or taller I'd go with a L
5'8" or shorter I'd go with a M

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
How tall are you?

I'm 5'10" and the L Rail felt perfect when I put some test miles on one. I'm usually in between a M and L.

5'9" or taller I'd go with a L
5'8" or shorter I'd go with a M
I'd concur with that. I'm 5'10.5" (33" inseam) on a good day and ride a large Rail with very little seat post extension. The large has a 170mm dropper whereas the M has a 150mm but can take a 180mm One Up dropper.

j3ayy

Oct 10, 2020
North Yorkshire
I am 5’9” & gone for the L frame on my 2021 Rail 9 when it arrives in may ? Tried a M in the store & it was just on the small side & i felt uncomfortable on it.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I'm 175 (5'9) and I'm riding a M Rail. I do a lot of technical trails and prefer to size down. I rode a Rail 7 in L on a trip recently, and it felt a lot less playfull than my 9.8. Not sure if it's just the size of the weight ( or both) that comes into play. I have no problem on either size though, but my Slash 8 is a M/L and that's perfect?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles