Status
Not open for further replies.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
I checked mine and when selecting "Open CSV/TCX/GPX file folder" it opens the maps in ES File Explorer. Maybe you have installed ES File Explorer but didn't open ES File Explorer yet? I needed to open it once if I remember correctly and give some permissions.

After these permissions I can immediately open the maps via BLEvo.

Actually it seems that the real ES File Explorer has been removed from Play Store due to the developers being involved in a click fraud scandal
Screenshot_20190820-224540.png

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Actually it seems that the real ES File Explorer has been removed from Play Store due to the developers being involved in a click fraud scandal
View attachment 17369

I wasn't aware about this. I just checked some websites and it seems they advise Android users to remove this app. So that's what I did and installed Amaze File Manager as a free alternative. Only one issue now... I can't open via BLEvo the CSV/TCX/GPX map anymore. @PaoloBLEvo , can you maybe solve this via an update? ES File Explorer is not available anymore on Google PlayStore. Thanks!

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
Feature request: I tried to replicate a road bike once and it was not really possible because of the differences in air drag made the forces get much higher as speed got higher. So the amount of boost needed depended on speed.

You can play with this and see how the wattage needed to stay at 20 mph on a road bike on drops is 170 watts and a MTB is 285:

Bike Calculator

So it was impossible for me to come up with a percent boost that would work at all speed ranges since air draft is a force that squares.

But Blevo could totally simulate a road bike effort by accounting for this difference in drag! It would just need to ramp up boost as a function of speed with the appropriate curve.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Feature request: I tried to replicate a road bike once and it was not really possible because of the differences in air drag made the forces get much higher as speed got higher. So the amount of boost needed depended on speed.

You can play with this and see how the wattage needed to stay at 20 mph on a road bike on drops is 170 watts and a MTB is 285:

Bike Calculator

So it was impossible for me to come up with a percent boost that would work at all speed ranges since air draft is a force that squares.

But Blevo could totally simulate a road bike effort by accounting for this difference in drag! It would just need to ramp up boost as a function of speed with the appropriate curve.

I think I like your idea, just to make sure I understand you correctly, you would like a new BLEvo smart function related to "e-bike weight compensation in relation to speed" to compensate the additional weight of an emtb compared to a normal mtb.

So when I use the calculator you send where I selected a rider weight of 0KG (as you like to compensate the additional weight (+/-15kg) of the emtb only), you would end with something like this:
1566321515073.png

In the calculator I inserted the speeds below and came to the following wattages:
3W @4,69km/h
11W @10,10km/h
27W @15,07km/h
55W @19,96km/h
101W @25,02km/h
167W @29,98km/h
259W @35,00km/h
So to summarize the wattages above should be compensated at the given speeds to compensate the additional weight of an emtb, right?

Maybe @PaoloBLEvo can add this feature as an exclusive option for BLEvo riders only ;)?

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
What I was proposing was to compensate for air resistance / drag and tire rolling resistance between an eMTB and a road racing bike. That way we can pedal and not be faster than friends on road bikes when riding on pavement.

There is no way to do that with a dumb algorithm. Need a drag curve of both bikes and riding positions (which is easy to make from the calculator), and then ramp up power to compensate for the difference depending on the speed.

I don't think there is a way to compensate for weight because it would depend if you were going uphill or downhill.

Calculators:

An interactive model-based calculator of cycling power vs. speed

Bicycle Speed (Velocity) And Power Calculator

Bike Calculator

PaoloBLEvo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
Now in 3.5.3 i also have the issue, that the size of the arrow remains very small, a restart of blevo monitor changes nothing. I remember, in 3.5.2 it was ok.
I will fix in the next release, but now you can select the arrow size in the BLEvo configuration menu..
The change is taken only if you restart BLEvo..

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
What I was proposing was to compensate for air resistance / drag and tire rolling resistance between an eMTB and a road racing bike. That way we can pedal and not be faster than friends on road bikes when riding on pavement.

There is no way to do that with a dumb algorithm. Need a drag curve of both bikes and riding positions (which is easy to make from the calculator), and then ramp up power to compensate for the difference depending on the speed.

I don't think there is a way to compensate for weight because it would depend if you were going uphill or downhill.

Calculators:

An interactive model-based calculator of cycling power vs. speed

Bicycle Speed (Velocity) And Power Calculator

Bike Calculator
If I understood well, you want to ride with a constant motor power..
For example if you set 100watt, the assistance percentage should be changed by BLEvo increasing or decreasing the assistance percentage if the motor power is lower or higher 100 watt.. is this correct?

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
No. I just want a road-bike simulation mode so that I can ride beside friends who are on road bikes and have my effort feel the same as theirs. The key to making it work is to have the power change based on your speed to compensate for the difference in air drag between the upright riding position of a MTB and the leaned over riding position of a road racing bike.

Due to differences in air drag and tires, it takes 170 watts to ride a road bike at 20 mph, and 285 watts to ride a MTB at 20 mph. But this changes depending on the speed.

So in this mode, Blevo will increase assistance the faster that you go to cancel out the differences in air drag.

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
No. I just want a road-bike simulation mode so that I can ride beside friends who are on road bikes and have my effort feel the same as theirs. The key to making it work is to have the power change based on your speed to compensate for the difference in air drag between the upright riding position of a MTB and the leaned over riding position of a road racing bike.

Due to differences in air drag and tires, it takes 170 watts to ride a road bike at 20 mph, and 285 watts to ride a MTB at 20 mph. But this changes depending on the speed.

So in this mode, Blevo will increase assistance the faster that you go to cancel out the differences in air drag.
Now what I understood is:
- if the speed is lower than 20mph, BLEvo increases the assistance percentage
- if the speed is higher than 20mph, BLEvo decreases the assistance percentage
Is this correct?

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
Nope,.

First you use this program: Bicycle Speed (Velocity) And Power Calculator

And calculate the number of watts needed for a MTB at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 mph.

Then you calculate the watts needed for a racing road bike with hands on the drops at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 mph.

Then when this mode is active, you add additional boost equal to the (road-bike-watts - MTB-watts) as a function of the current MPH.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Then when this mode is active, you add additional boost equal to the (road-bike-watts - MTB-watts) as a function of the current MPH.

If this idea would work than I would be interested in a "simulate an mtb" setting in case I ride with friends with non-assisted bikes. I however am wondering why you wrote additional boost.

If you like a "simulate a road racing bike" setting then I guess you only need the support outcome of the calculator difference and no additional support on top of that?

I must say however too that with a SMART HR BLEVO setting between 0% and 10-15% that I have the normal MTB feeling already too. Nevertheless this can maybe more fine tuned based on the calculators you shared.

Last edited:

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
You can’t really simulate a normal MTB because the only difference is weight so it would have to give more assist only when going up a hill. Not sure how it would do that unless you used the angle sensor and required the user to zero the angle when they were on level ground. And then the phone would have to stay mounted on the bike. But if you were ok with all of those conditions, then you could simulate a bike that was 30 lbs lighter or a rider less heavy.
So yeah. I would vote for wanting that feature.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
I however am wondering why you wrote additional boost.

If you like a "simulate a road racing bike" setting then I guess you only need the support outcome of the calculator difference and no additional support on top of that?

Not boost in addition to other boost.

I meant the motor should provide assistance equal to the difference in watts between what it takes for a racing road bike and a MTB to maintain whatever speed you are currently going.

And bonus if it also compensated for weight differences by using the angle sensor in the phone. Then the app could have a “weight subtraction” feature.

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
@rsilvers - o_O are you asking for features to be added to BLEvo before you have even tried it?

When you own a Specialized e-bike and purchase BLEvo, try the Smart Power feature and/or Smart HR. I think you will find it does what you want. ;)

BTW. In the US, motor assistance cuts off at 20mph and above that speed you will find it near impossible to keep up with your road bike friends. So you are asking for a pointless feature! :rolleyes:

I think @rsilvers should create his own app and stop wasting @PaoloBLEvo time.

rsilvers

Dec 2, 2018
US
Most rides are 16-18mph. Lots of people have disabled their speed limiter. The 2017 bike I tested was good for 23 mph.

The other features reduce effort but not in a way to simulate a road bike by accounting for weight and drag.

Last edited:

bowser

May 23, 2019
Australia
So I fitted a Planet3 rear wheel planetary setup today and I finally got my speed to match. Initially I looked down and speed vs GPS speed was way out then I remembered I needed to to adjust the speed multiplier to 1.5. I set the wheel diameter back to 2300mm and speed multiplier to 1.5, no good, still way higher on the GPS, went to 2.0 and still no good, 2.5 still no good but getting closer, 3 is very close to bang on, GPS is slightly lower but we are talking decimals.

Wonder why i had to go to speed multiplier 3.0 to get the speed to line up (in the open, not in the bush)

Will having the speed multiplier set at 3.0 throw my distance covered out?

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
So I fitted a Planet3 rear wheel planetary setup today and I finally got my speed to match. Initially I looked down and speed vs GPS speed was way out then I remembered I needed to to adjust the speed multiplier to 1.5. I set the wheel diameter back to 2300mm and speed multiplier to 1.5, no good, still way higher on the GPS, went to 2.0 and still no good, 2.5 still no good but getting closer, 3 is very close to bang on, GPS is slightly lower but we are talking decimals.

Wonder why i had to go to speed multiplier 3.0 to get the speed to line up (in the open, not in the bush)

Will having the speed multiplier set at 3.0 throw my distance covered out?
Which version? Ios or Android?
I don't know planet3 but I know that for LSS the speed multiplier should be set to 1.5..

bowser

May 23, 2019
Australia
Which version? Ios or Android?
I don't know planet3 but I know that for LSS the speed multiplier should be set to 1.5..

android v3.5.3, planet3 is same principal as LSS. Also thought it needed to be 1.5 but the speedo reads very low compared to GPS when set at that. bike is firmware 2.3.1

Does the multiplier effect the distance travelled?

Last edited:

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
android v3.5.3, planet3 is same principal as LSS. Also thought it needed to be 1.5 but the speedo reads very low compared to GPS when set at that. bike is firmware 2.3.1

Does the multiplier effect the distance travelled?
The speed multiplier change the data received by the speed sensor..
The speed received is multiplied for this factor.
Also the km travelled is multiplied for this factor because the km of the bike are calculated in function of the speed sensor

bowser

May 23, 2019
Australia
So if my speed matches the GPS speed then both should be correct and distance should also be correct.

I'll go for a ride tomorrow with a known distance and see how that matches to the current settings.

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
So if my speed matches the GPS speed then both should be correct and distance should also be correct.

I'll go for a ride tomorrow with a known distance and see how that matches to the current settings.
Yes.. for this you need to set the configuration parameter to use the bike sensor..

Groene005

May 3, 2019
Holland
Has the bike been hacked by someone? (previous owner?) In MC the wheel circumference motor setting is visible. If it there says 1973 then that can maybe explain the speed difference which you are measuring between BLEvo and GPS. At which GPS speed does the bike cut off?

Can you please share screenshots of MC and BLEvo setup page?

Can you also share the real wheel circumference which you measured with toothpaste?

Screenshot_2019-08-22-18-14-26.png
Screenshot_2019-08-22-18-43-14.png
DSC_0001.JPG
Screenshot_2019-08-22-18-58-49.png
DSC_0007.JPG
Screenshot_2019-08-22-19-12-03.png
DSC_0008.JPG

Has the bike been hacked by someone? (previous owner?) In MC the wheel circumference motor setting is visible. If it there says 1973 then that can maybe explain the speed difference which you are measuring between BLEvo and GPS. At which GPS speed does the bike cut off?

Can you also share the real wheel circumference which you measured with toothpaste?

I decided to use wheelcircumference in stead of GPS. Now is in BLEVO and MC the wheelcircumference set at 2210 mm. Also in the GARMIN.( picture 1,2,3) I made two little rides of 5 km. One time with MC and GARMIN(picture 4, 5)
One time with BLEVO and GARMIN (picture 6,7)
Between the two rides I did not change anything except turning of MC and turning on BLEVO. Very strange there is a difference of 10% between BLEVO and MC. The real distance was excactly the same. Maybe Paolo has an explanation.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
 View attachment 17470 View attachment 17473 View attachment 17474 View attachment 17475 View attachment 17476 View attachment 17477 View attachment 17478

I decided to use wheelcircumference in stead of GPS. Now is in BLEVO and MC the wheelcircumference set at 2210 mm. Also in the GARMIN.( picture 1,2,3) I made two little rides of 5 km. One time with MC and GARMIN(picture 4, 5)
One time with BLEVO and GARMIN (picture 6,7)
Between the two rides I did not change anything except turning of MC and turning on BLEVO. Very strange there is a difference of 10% between BLEVO and MC. The real distance was excactly the same. Maybe Paolo has an explanation.

Hi,

I think the issue is that you have set the speed limit in BLEvo at 28km/h instead of 25km/h where I assume your real wheel circumference is 2210mm.

((28/25)x5=5,6km so 5,47km seems pretty accurate.

But maybe Paolo has a different thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles