Status
Not open for further replies.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Maybe a stupid question, but why do you need this value? If you like to know the value you can easily calculate it by deviding the power (W) by the voltage (V). The voltage is roughly 36V so the outcome should present the Amperage (A).

P=UxI
Power (W)
U = Voltage (V)
I = Amperage (A)
The voltage is variable during the ride so will not give an accurate calculation ?‍♂️

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Why do I need it? Simple, because the information is available and is ‘Currently’ pardon the pun, what I need for an ongoing investigation of mine. If the info I have requested can be displayed in the ‘after ride’ stats that would be perfect for me.

I suppose you could ask why I also need the info in the screen shots below.... my simple answer is... If it’s available, why not? I need some of it but there maybe someone out there who needs all of it. I don’t want to spend loads of time calculating when the results can be just be displayed like everything below.

Do you use BLEvo?

View attachment 12078

View attachment 12079

View attachment 12080

View attachment 12081

View attachment 12083

Hi Kiwi,

Yes I use BLEvo both Android and IOS version. For the Android version I use the BV6000 per Paolo´s recommendation including the new remote.

I was just interested why you would like to see the maximum and average amperage readings for Eco, Trail and Turbo as I personally think that it´s only the outcome power in watts which matters.

I heared that some BLEvo users find the app somethings difficult to understand. How more data Paolo adds how more complex the ride stats get.

What´s next? Maximum and average voltage readings for Eco, Trail and Turbo or Maximum and average amount of magnet pulses/km readings for Eco, Trail and Turbo?

Maybe there is a very good reason behind your question, so that why I was interested to learn why you would like to see the amperage value.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
The voltage is variable during the ride so will not give an accurate calculation ?‍♂️

I understand the voltage will decrease. With a full battery it starts somewhere around 41V but BLEvo calculates the power based on the voltage and amperage. Via the "Open ride Map" option you can exactly see the power at each moment during your ride. Within the ride stats, you can find the average and maximum recorded values too.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi Kiwi,

Yes I use BLEvo both Android and IOS version. For the Android version I use the BV6000 per Paolo´s recommendation including the new remote.

I was just interested why you would like to see the maximum and average amperage readings for Eco, Trail and Turbo as I personally think that it´s only the outcome power in watts which matters.

I heared that some BLEvo users find the app somethings difficult to understand. How more data Paolo adds how more complex the ride stats get.

What´s next? Maximum and average voltage readings for Eco, Trail and Turbo or Maximum and average amount of magnet pulses/km readings for Eco, Trail and Turbo?

Maybe there is a very good reason behind your question, so that why I was interested to learn why you would like to see the amperage value.

Hi Maastricht,
If Paolo doesn’t mind doing it and it is easy for him to do it then that is fine.
If Paolo doesn’t want to do it and only wants to display the maximum current then that is fine too.

Doing it saves me downloading the csv file for every ride I do and extracting all the info I need out of the csv.

Not sure why I have to run all this past you when the original request is not even for you .....

Put it this way, if I hadn’t asked Paolo to display the maximum motor power reading last year we would not know about the issue with some 2018 motors only putting out 560 to 580 Watts with 14-16 Amps which Specialized have now got a fix for.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Hi Maastricht,
If Paolo doesn’t mind doing it and it is easy for him to do it then that is fine.
If Paolo doesn’t want to do it and only wants to display the maximum current then that is fine too.

Doing it saves me downloading the csv file for every ride I do and extracting all the info I need out of the csv.

Not sure why I have to run all this past you when the original request is not even for you .....

Put it this way, if I hadn’t asked Paolo to display the maximum motor power reading last year we would not know about the issue with some 2018 motors only putting out 560 to 580 Watts with 14-16 Amps which Specialized have now got a fix for.

First of all, let me be very clear you don't need to run this request past me. Sorry, if you felt that way as this wasn't my intention. Paolo decides!

However as we are here all on a forum trying to learn of each other (at least I am) by exchanging knowledge, I was just interested to understand why this parameter would be important as I still think the outcome in watts (resulting from amperage and voltage (which drops when the battery % decreases) is much more important.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi Maastricht,

No problem.
I want to know this information as some of the 2019 Levos are only putting out just over 700W of Maximum motor power. Mine puts out between 700-725 @ a draw of 18 to 19 Amps. I get almost identical data out of Mission Control but it is live on the display and not captured like BLEvo and not easy to read....

The 2018 Levo’s are consistently putting out (with the new fix) 760-790W of Maximum motor power @ 19-21 Amps.

The marketing blurb was the new 2019 Levo’s had 410% assistance v 380% assistance for the 2018 Levo’s.
I would expect all the 2019 Levo’s to be putting out at least the same 760-790W if not more but am I not sure about what is meant by ‘410% assistance’ how it is calculated and what it actually means if anything in regards to maximum motor power output. It appears that more Amps drawn from the battery = more Maximum motor power. I know this extra power is obviously going to affect your range.

What I am seeing at the moment and hearing from other forum members is some of the 2019 Levo’s are lower on max power output compared to the 2018 Levo’s.
The reason I want the Battery Current displayed is so it is easy for other forum members to look at what their readings are so they can feedback without having to download csv files and check various columns.

What are your thoughts?

I know power isn’t a big thing to some people, but to me, the terrain I ride, my style of riding, it is a very big thing to me.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Hi Maastricht,

No problem.
I want to know this information as some of the 2019 Levos are only putting out just over 700W of Maximum motor power. Mine puts out between 700-725 @ a draw of 18 to 19 Amps. I get almost identical data out of Mission Control but it is live on the display and not captured like BLEvo and not easy to read....

The 2018 Levo’s are consistently putting out (with the new fix) 760-790W of Maximum motor power @ 19-21 Amps.

The marketing blurb was the new 2019 Levo’s had 410% assistance v 380% assistance for the 2018 Levo’s.
I would expect all the 2019 Levo’s to be putting out at least the same 760-790W if not more but am I not sure about what is meant by ‘410% assistance’ how it is calculated and what it actually means if anything in regards to maximum motor power output. It appears that more Amps drawn from the battery = more Maximum motor power. I know this extra power is obviously going to affect your range.

What I am seeing at the moment and hearing from other forum members is some of the 2019 Levo’s are lower on max power output compared to the 2018 Levo’s.
The reason I want the Battery Current displayed is so it is easy for other forum members to look at what their readings are so they can feedback without having to download csv files and check various columns.

What are your thoughts?

I know power isn’t a big thing to some people, but to me, the terrain I ride, my style of riding, it is a very big thing to me.

I had my 2019 motor exchanged early January due to the noise issue. After the exchange I noticed the motor firmware was 6.0.0 where my old motor had 6.1.0. I don't know the difference between 6.0.0 and 6.1.0 so I thought the newer the better. Maybe this can explain the watt peak power difference? What firmware are you having? Be careful, for obvious reasons, too that when upgrading motor or battery firmware at your LBS, they can not exclude the TCU so if you currently are running 2.025 or 2.019 it will be upgraded to 2.026. (like mine)

My max. recorded motor peak power is 723W at 37V and 19,8A. My cadence at that moment was 77rpm and I delivered 305W at that moment. The assistance was 32% with peak power 100%. I was riding with BLEvo smart heart rate and smart leg power.

I keep thinking that it's not interesting to measure the amperage. I full agree measuring and comparing power in watts makes sense. I keep stick to this opinion as power is the result of voltage and amperage and voltage will drop in time.

Regarding the 410%, I need to check another post of Specialized Rider Care. If I will find it I will add it in this post. -> I found it again here it's explained:
Understanding Support vs Peak Power in Mission Control App v2.0 - EMTB Forums

So taking the above in mind at the moment I received 723W from the motor as a peak, my input was multiplied by factor 2,37 and that most likely is due to the assistance was set at 32%.

What I will do next time when I go, especially for you Kiwi, I will run turbo at 100%/100% uphill and will give all power which I have in me. I will check the results afterwards and let you know. I guess you then have a good comparison between a 2018 Levo, your 2019 Levo (of which I don't know the firmware update) and mine.

Good idea?

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I had my 2019 motor exchanged early January due to the noise issue. After the exchange I noticed the motor firmware was 6.0.0 where my old motor had 6.1.0. I don't know the difference between 6.0.0 and 6.1.0 so I thought the newer the better. Maybe this can explain the watt peak power difference? What firmware are you having? Be careful, for obvious reasons, too that when upgrading motor or battery firmware at your LBS, they can not exclude the TCU so if you currently are running 2.025 or 2.019 it will be upgraded to 2.026. (like mine)

My max. recorded motor peak power is 723W at 37V and 19,8A. My cadence at that moment was 77rpm and I delivered 305W at that moment. The assistance was 32% with peak power 100%. I was riding with BLEvo smart heart rate and smart leg power.

I keep thinking that it's not interesting to measure the amperage. I full agree measuring and comparing power in watts makes sense. I keep stick to this opinion as power is the result of voltage and amperage and voltage will drop in time.

Regarding the 410%, I need to check another post of Specialized Rider Care. If I will find it I will add it in this post. -> I found it again here it's explained:
Understanding Support vs Peak Power in Mission Control App v2.0 - EMTB Forums

So taking the above in mind at the moment I received 723W from the motor as a peak, my input was multiplied by factor 2,37 and that most likely is due to the assistance was set at 32%.

What I will do next time when I go, especially for you Kiwi, I will run turbo at 100%/100% uphill and will give all power which I have in me. I will check the results afterwards and let you know. I guess you then have a good comparison between a 2018 Levo, your 2019 Levo (of which I don't know the firmware update) and mine.

Good idea?

Thanks, Very good idea ?
I have 2 TCUs a 2.019 and a 2.025

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Thanks, Very good idea ?
I have 2 TCUs a 2.019 and a 2.025

Besides the TCU firmware, which firmware versions do you have for the battery and the motor?

Mine are for the battery 0.3.1 and the motor 6.1.0 which I then run with TCU 2.026. According to my knowledge these would be the latest versions. I am curious if you have older battery or motor firmware.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Besides the TCU firmware, which firmware versions do you have for the battery and the motor?

Mine are for the battery 0.3.1 and the motor 6.1.0 which I then run with TCU 2.026. According to my knowledge these would be the latest versions. I am curious if you have older battery or motor firmware.
I will need to check and let you know

etoni

E*POWAH Elite
Sep 3, 2018
Thun Switzerland
This is my output with the brose 2.1

C6B3A36A-C0CB-4C15-80C3-B2969E7224CD.jpeg

kellermann

Nov 2, 2018
Germany
You need to start the turn and then turn off the screen manually. Only after start... then when a button on remote control is pressed, the screen is switched on and kept on for the timeout set in Android.

I have found a good workaround for me. My settings for long press on the buttons are: 1) down button - screen goes off after timeout ( 60 sec ); 2) up button - enable screen on level change.

So a long push on the down button and the screen goes off after 60 sec. If i want to switch the screen on continuesly, i take the up button and the timeout is blocked. Only the screen message “ enable screen on level change” is a little bit confusing.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales

Hi M,
Battery is
Firmware 2.3.1
Hardware 3.1

Motor is

Display is
Firmware 13.a
Hardware A.1.0

Below is my last ride where I did not go over 727W and did not go over 19 Amps

DD38D639-7750-4FEB-8E81-7FD18484C7D6.png

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Hi M,
Battery is
Firmware 2.3.1
Hardware 3.1

Motor is

Display is
Firmware 13.a
Hardware A.1.0

Below is my last ride where I did not go over 727W and did not go over 19 Amps

View attachment 12120

Hi Kiwi,

Have you seen the last post of Specialized Rider Care in the other thread:
Power smashed through the roof - EMTB Forums

They stated:
In terms of support, each e-Bike motor is slightly different. 100% on the slider means 4.1x rider power for 2019 Levo (2.1 motor), 3.8x for 2018 Levo (1.3 motor) and 3.2x for older Levo (1.2)

When you talk about motor power, bear in mind that two types of power regularly get confused when discussing e-bikes:

a) Electrical input power (battery power that the motor consumes)
b) Mechanical output power (motor power that is added to rider power at the crank)

Mission Control (+ all other apps using ANT data) measure the electrical input power to the motor (Battery Voltage x Current). This is what you see if you view the stats page whilst riding, 20 Amps x 36V is 720W maximum INPUT power, this sometimes may be higher when the battery is fully charged (closer to 40V).

Note this isn't the same as motor OUTPUT power - no motors are 100% efficient, hence peak power OUTPUT for Brose motors is approximately: - 1.2/520W, 1.3/550W, 2.1/560W. 2.1 is the most efficient so will deliver max motor output power using less electrical input power ;) as some of you are seeing. (This means less battery consumption for the same output power)

Underneath you can find a graph which shows the maximum mechanical output power of the 2.1 motor:
1553256371034.png

1553256925073.png

But we are now zooming in on the max. electrical input peak motor power which is a result of the current (A) and max. voltage (V) at a specific moment. As I promissed I will do a test within next few days where I will first full charge the battery as I need to have the max. voltage.

The difference between the maximum mechanical output power and the electrical input power is the efficiency. Now I am starting to doubt as well. You would expect a high value would be the best here. I am now starting to doubt as, as long as the mechanical output power is at 560W, the higher the electrical input power (of which you like to record the highest value) actually means we would like to know the worst efficiency possible to reach that 560W. Do you understand my thought? Maybe you have other better ideas?

Are you running with the 700Wh battery? I am riding with the 500Wh. I am asking as you mentioned you have firmware 2.3.1 where I thought I was riding with the last version which is 0.3.1. Regarding the motor firmware you are outdated. The latest firmware is 6.1.0. I only don't know the difference between 6.0.0 and 6.1.0. Interesting would be to know if it has an effect on the mechanical output power. Anyone any idea?

1553256913053.png

Last edited:

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I tried to use BLEvo to record my ride for the first time today and for some odd reason it is showing exactly double distance but the speed is correct. As you can see below I have ticked the box to use phone gps as input:

F39B9E21-2052-4847-ADB2-FE6C670A6CEB.png

This is the ride summary where you can see the totals and speed/distance is exactly double compared to real data:

4105670D-A65E-4D17-A648-82ED4ACCCA8B.png

Then when I go into the map view of my ride and look at a random spot(small asphalt road) the speed is indicated correct as seen here:

F9D8A294-DBAC-4450-8E75-133F08049A59.png

I would love to be able to move around with that speed but no way I can pedal that fast on a flat road without serious assistance ?

For reference here is the statistics from my Garmin:

46DE2941-F3D9-4BCA-9720-FB38AEDA9FA4.png

What am I doing wrong?

Karsten

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Hi Karsten,

Did you set the real wheel circumference? There are two sliders. One for speed the second one for wheel circumference. Here you need to enter the real wheel circumference.

I think you should not select use “gps instead of bike sensor” in your case. Adjust it and just try a very short ride of 1km if it now works correctly. I am curious about the result.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Hi Karsten,

Did you set the real wheel circumference? There are two sliders. One for speed the second one for wheel circumference. Here you need to enter the real wheel circumference.

I think you should not select use “gps instead of bike sensor” in your case. Adjust it and just try a very short ride of 1km if it now works correctly. I am curious about the result.
I did set the wheel circumference correctly and funny thing is that in map view replay speed is correctly indicated but distance is double up - Very strange!

Karsten

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
I tried to use BLEvo to record my ride for the first time today and for some odd reason it is showing exactly double distance but the speed is correct. As you can see below I have ticked the box to use phone gps as input:

View attachment 12140

This is the ride summary where you can see the totals and speed/distance is exactly double compared to real data:

View attachment 12141

Then when I go into the map view of my ride and look at a random spot(small asphalt road) the speed is indicated correct as seen here:

View attachment 12142

I would love to be able to move around with that speed but no way I can pedal that fast on a flat road without serious assistance ?

For reference here is the statistics from my Garmin:

View attachment 12143

What am I doing wrong?

Karsten
Hi @khorn , thanks for your post..
I think there is a bug in the distance counting as @Maastricht says.. try to remove the speed to use the gps..
I will fix in the next release..
Thanks again.. and sorry for the issue

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
I get a message - PP needs to be 100% for firmware .23, do I need to upgrade the firmware to get rid of this message?
No.. you need to set the PP to 100%...
If you don't have the latest firmware, don't worry, maybe there is a bug in checking the firmware version.. try to press the button "reload" in the bike setting page.

Vilt

Feb 13, 2019
Berg en Terblijt, The Netherlands
No.. you need to set the PP to 100%...
If you don't have the latest firmware, don't worry, maybe there is a bug in checking the firmware version.. try to press the button "reload" in the bike setting page.

But I would like to limit the peak power in eco mode. Is this not possible? I find that the bike still uses a lot of power in smart eco 1-20%.

Also what does "auto fast" and "auto eco" do in smart mode? It is not explained in the help page.

(Sorry for all the questions, did my first 50km+ ride yesterday)

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
But I would like to limit the peak power in eco mode. Is this not possible? I find that the bike still uses a lot of power in smart eco 1-20%.

Also what does "auto fast" and "auto eco" do in smart mode? It is not explained in the help page.

(Sorry for all the questions, did my first 50km+ ride yesterday)
If the bike consume a lot of power, increase the legs power value.. the algorithm for the Smart Power is optimized for PP 100%..
Auto fast means that the assistance is calculated automatically and it is increase as soon as you need..
Auto eco add some delay in order to use some delay..
But I think this is written in the user manual..

chrischdl_88

Mar 20, 2019
Germany, Augsburg
Hi Paolo,
I am new here and interested on your Blevo app. I would like to know if something like this wristband tracker is going to work for the app to use the smart hr mode with my Levo.
Have not read everything here yet and for now I am not sure if it will work or not ;) I do not want to use a chest band hr tracker as i dont like to wear those :(
Thank you very much in advance for your advice :)
Cheers
Christian

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
Hi Paolo,
I am new here and interested on your Blevo app. I would like to know if something like this wristband tracker is going to work for the app to use the smart hr mode with my Levo.
Have not read everything here yet and for now I am not sure if it will work or not ;) I do not want to use a chest band hr tracker as i dont like to wear those :(
Thank you very much in advance for your advice :)
Cheers
Christian
No sorry.. The smart watches are not compatible with BLEvo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles