Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ride
Kenevo 1.3
I’m no engineer but dosen’t that pivotless stay on the E-caliber look a bit thin? It’s the very first thing I noticed when I saw the bike.

View attachment 54456
Looking at how the rear suspension works, I'd say it's designed thin so it can flex - there's no pivot's at the chainring end and it looks like the section round the shock slides in a linear fashion, so it either flexes or something snaps ?

• Wow
Reactions: Beekeeper

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Ride
Cube Reaction Race
Looking at how the rear suspension works, I'd say it's designed thin so it can flex - there's no pivot's at the chainring end and it looks like the section round the shock slides in a linear fashion, so it either flexes or something snaps ?
Ok, it looks big and beefy at the front but when you get to the back I wondered if they went over budget and had to save on materials 😮

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ride
Kenevo 1.3
Ok, it looks big and beefy at the front but when you get to the back I wondered if they went over budget and had to save on materials 😮
No. They started designing it at the front.. Then the new trend for smaller motored, smaller cheaper battery bikes which cost twice as much trend started ... so they had to make the rear look a lot cheaper so they could try to sell it for £12,000. :)

There might be a refresh next year where they get rid of the rear shock and seat stay, invent "hybrid harmonic suspension" - which is just a chainstay - and sell it for £14,000.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Ride
Cube Reaction Race
No. They started designing it at the front.. Then the new trend for smaller motored, smaller cheaper battery bikes which cost twice as much trend started ... so they had to make the rear look a lot cheaper so they could try to sell it for £12,000. :)

There might be a refresh next year where they get rid of the rear shock and seat stay, invent "hybrid harmonic suspension" - which is just a chainstay - and sell it for £14,000.
these prices are starting to resemble the outrageous menu items in some restaurants for a breakfast 🍳

The one below costs £2000

hey it’s just an omelette!

929216CB-E4AD-4048-8026-28130642A184.png

• Haha
Reactions: Zimmerframe

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ride
Kenevo 1.3
And in case anyone is wondering, they actually manage to sell 12 a year 🍳 🍳 🍳 🍳🍳🍳🍳🍳🍳🍳🍳🍳
I wonder what the wealthy people who can afford more than just a basic omelette have for breakfast ? :unsure: :coffee: ?

It must be awful for the 12 poor families who visited .. "no honey (none gender specific) , you should just have some toast..."

Mabman

E*POWAH Master
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Looks like a pivot at the base of the seat tube to me? The whole rear triangle moves with no Horst link thingie. I didn't really study the one I saw that much but it was an odd looking bike overall I felt.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ride
Kenevo 1.3
Looks like a pivot at the base of the seat tube to me? The whole rear triangle moves with no Horst link thingie. I didn't really study the one I saw that much but it was an odd looking bike overall I felt.
Yup, there's a pivot there :) Otherwise it wouldn't move :)

It's the top bit, where it connects to the shock - the way they've done it makes it look like that could be fixed to run back and forwards in parallel with the frame, in which case there would need to be another pivot at the bottom of the seat stay or the seat stay needs to flex. It's most likely that where it mounts to the shock there's also some movement/pivot/something as it would be unusual to make a frame section which is designed to flex rather than incorporating a pivot ! But who knows, maybe that's what 12k buys you - Carbon's normally pretttttttyy rigid though !

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Ride
Cube Reaction Race
Interesting video.
I wonder how many times those stays can repeatably flex like that without microscopic cracks forming. Wonder what we would see under an electron microscope 🔬