Article The new Specialized Levo gen3 is here!

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
We’ve had a closer look at the new gen3 Specialized Levo, and we’ve ha a short ride on it. You can watch this video below from EMTB Videos where we share all of our thoughts about the bike. Or you can continue reading.

b01_DSC00823-1024x683.jpg
Specialized Levo S-Works

Battery

The previous Levo model was introduced for 2019 and it was an innovative bike. Specialized had come up with a clever way to implement the battery. Sure, there are bikes where it’s easier to remove and install the battery. But Specialized save quite a bit of weight with their solution. And now, three years later, there still isn’t a more innovative solution out there we think. Specialized have made some changes though. The old “flap” that connected the battery...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Same model I saw a few months ago in a friend that tests for a bike publication had in his shop. Didn't ride it because why bother it is way out of my bike$$ comfort zone.

What I did take away from his feedback was that the TCU was cool to mess with and he had taken it for a few pretty good rides with elevation and it had good power and range and handled the downs ok.

He has a gen 2 levo and his main ride is the big buck SL which he noted he still prefers but he is youngish and fit and in that sphere of mtb'rs that still subscribes to the no pain no gain theory. Unlike Rob Warner apparently.

Endurip

Jan 9, 2021
Sweden
So should I buy a new reliable car from Japan, or the new pig ugly Levo knowing that most likely, the motor will brake a couple (if not more) times a year?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So should I buy a new reliable car from Japan, or the new pig ugly Levo knowing that most likely, the motor will brake a couple (if not more) times a year?
If you need to commute a reasonable distance, you should probably use your money for a car and not buy fun toys and find yourself destitute and unemployed.

If you find the bike unattractive, why would even consider buying it ?

That's like talking to a lady you don't find attractive in anyway and asking why you should sleep with her and pointing out that you knew someone who slept with her mother and they didn't like that either. Even though the mother is happily married and the daughter will be snapped up by one of thousands who would love her for what she is ?

FSEngineer

Jul 14, 2020
Kent
I wonder if these ones are waterproof...

At those price levels I can't help thinking these will be bought almost exclusively by the "all the gear, no idea" crowd. I have no doubt they're good to ride, but nearly £9k for the basic one, rising to £13k? For a bicycle? Surely they're dreaming.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Im a bit dissapointed with the angleset mechanism I was expecting something more “sofisticated” is just ... an angleset
So you're upset that it comes with the pieces you need to adjust your geometry because the solution is simple and reliable rather than complicated, heavy and prone to going wrong ? :unsure: ? ?‍♂️

Personally, I thought it would be something which would turn to adjust, but how often would you adjust it once you had it where you wanted it ? So they probably went the right route with simple ??

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
So you're upset that it comes with the pieces you need to adjust your geometry because the solution is simple and reliable rather than complicated, heavy and prone to going wrong ? :unsure: ? ?‍♂️

Personally, I thought it would be something which would turn to adjust, but how often would you adjust it once you had it where you wanted it ? So they probably went the right route with simple ??
Have you Zim bought a one or getting paid by Spesh-a-lized or why all this white knighting on one mountainbike all over the forum?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Have you Zim bought a one or getting paid by Spesh-a-lized or why all this white knighting on one mountainbike all over the forum?
LOL.

Nope, it just seemed like quite an exciting release where they have pretty much addressed every issue/complaint/problem/doubt/dislike everyone's ever had, which we'll hopefully see on the layman's versions when they're released, but then people just complain about crazy things.

In theory, we're all here because we're passionate about our stupidly expensive hobby. Some peoples comments surprise me, it's as if half the people were accidentally we're re-directed from tweedelbowpadsforum.com

I guess I've been through a dark and negative place over the last few months so maybe I'm just overly sensitive to negativity ? ?‍♂️ :oops:

So if it's coming over that I'm being a dick - Sorry, I guess I'd better have a few forum off days and re-charge my negativity receptors ! :)

I need to be ready for the next batch when the Kenevo Prime arrives ! :ROFLMAO:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You've lost me there... ? Not for the first time though ??
I forgot we're in the other thread ! :)

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain

Is not a dealbreaker at all. But yes when they announced this “feature“ wich at the end is something you can fit in most of the bikes, yes, for me is disappoint. I was expecting other mechanical trick such you can play without remove nothing.

And people complain because is a forum! you know, people say what they think, that’s what is for, share, discuss etc. And for a brand complains are as important or more than props, because they learn from both.

Aside to that: it was a very good ebike and is now even better. Good news. Maybe not the great all rounder it was but people seeks more enduro geo these days. It’s the natural route.

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire
I suppose the concern here is that in their haste to grab the big ££s for new gear (which does look and sound great btw), its upping the cost for entry level emtb's at a time when it seems to be taking off. Ive just sh!t me pants at forking out over £5k for what is a middling model at best. Levo's Gen 7 will be a £20k+ at this rate.

If folk are paying it, I suppose you cant argue with that but its still fantasy land money for a modern 'push' bike.

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
Gotta laugh when they say "a new bike is here". Where exactly. Not available online. Not available at any local dealers. Probably an outrageous wait time to get one. Just the pandemic times I know, but frustrating none the less. I still have my deposit down on a Bullit. The Turbo Levo still has the edge on range and power, but probably either way I will need a spare battery for long rides and the Shimano battery is not so long. Great bike though. Dropped a note to my dealer to see if he has any idea when my Bullit will arrive. Hope soon.

J200George

Jun 14, 2020
Glasgow United Kingdom
One wonders if specialized are just testing the price elasticity of demand in the market. We are seeing quite a lot of constraint on supply right now thanks to covid, brexit, latterly suez, China trade wars etc, shortages in components and semi conductors but surely when things normalise spesh will really stick out as being shockingly over priced. Don’t get me wrong I’d love one, and actually I can afford one but I think my current cycling peer group might consider it a ridiculous extravagance and I’d be laughed off the mountain (not that I’d give a shit) but it does seem OTT really.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
normalise spesh will really stick out as being shockingly over priced.
The S-works is only marginally more expensive than the top of the range Bullit, Pivot & Trek Rail . The PRO version's actually cheaper than those.

I think it has a roll on effect that we find it far easier to justify spending £7k on some other bike we like which only weeks ago we felt was too expensive ! :D :ROFLMAO:

J200George

Jun 14, 2020
Glasgow United Kingdom
The S-works is only marginally more expensive than the top of the range Bullit, Pivot & Trek Rail . The PRO version's actually cheaper than those.

I think it has a roll on effect that we find it far easier to justify spending £7k on some other bike we like which only weeks ago we felt was too expensive ! :D :ROFLMAO:
Haha true all of a sudden splashing £4-7k on a bike is the norm. Don’t really want in any arguments around pricing and all that r&d has to be paid for I suppose but in a few years time there are going to be some pretty sexy used bikes around.

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
Now my Bullit arrival is pushed back to July. Tried to jump ship for a new Levo but the Gen3 date is next fall/winter!!!! Also I just checked and you can buy a new KTM 890r enduro motorcycle for less than a Specialized Turbo Levo S-Works! I had a KTM 790r enduro and that is a high end motorcycle with tons of electronics and tech and works great. I am getting the X01 coil shock Bullit and both the S-Works and Pro are more expensive than the best Bullit. Remember when Santa Cruz had the rep for the most outrageously expensive bikes? I will repeat again how frustrating it is for the manufacturers to seed the latest and greatest to reviewers to get everyone excited, but then no availability for months and months. How is a rider supposed to make an irrational spur of the moment purchase if there are no bikes to buy:)

Velociraptor

Oct 10, 2020
Pacific Northwest
In USA the Bullit X01 coil is listed for 11499
Levo3 Pro is 13,000 =1501 more than the Bullit
Levo S-Works is 15,000=3501 more than the Bullit

I sure hope Santa Cruz does not raise their prices this year!

Chris1969

Feb 18, 2021
Germany
A rattling bike for over 11000€ is a lot. The Shimano EP8 sound going down is a „no go“ for some. And battery in the levo is bigger, software is better.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles