Article The new 2023 TREK FUEL EX-e reviewed

spicker

May 2, 2022
Newfoundland, Canada
I see noise comparisons with Shimano and Bosch, but what about the Brose? Mine has been pretty quiet, though it has started to make a new (very quiet but noticeable) hum in the past couple of days.

Aussie78

May 11, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
Come on now.... :LOL:

A bold claim. I'd like to know the make/model of the cells used before taking that as gospel. Theres not exactly a plethora of top-end cell manufacturers out there.

yeah it has me stumped

The TQ pack is rated at 50.4v, 6.8Ah and 360Wh and 1.83kg.

Off the electrical specs I'd guessing that is a 12s2p Samsung INR21700-50E pack. not much else makes sense.

50E is 69 grams and 17.64 Wh.

BUT form factor suggests otherwise.

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
First they charge more for more powerful bigger battery's. Now charge more for smaller battery's with less powerful motors . I still want one though. Although recently started working as a full time stay at home dad. So cash flow may be a problem . Hmm maybe I'll just chuck a 27 on the back of my cube hardtail and it will become a light nimble sl eeeb

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
yeah it has me stumped

The TQ pack is rated at 50.4v, 6.8Ah and 360Wh and 1.83kg.

Off the electrical specs I'd guessing that is a 12s2p Samsung INR21700-50E pack. not much else makes sense.

50E is 69 grams and 17.64 Wh.

BUT form factor suggests otherwise.

And the 50E is a very popular cell. I would be surprised if no other ebike manufacturers were using it.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
I could be wrong but I dont see these low power ebikes being around for long. I imagine the the rail will outsell this 5 to 1, I just dont see too many customers choosing this over the rail with all the power and range for a 10lb weight trade off. The trick is going to be getting the full fat ebikes lower weight, not offering these half measures that really arent all that desirable.

My entire group were ebike pioneers back in 2017/18...first full group in my country to have Levos. fast forward a few years, and we are all on SL ...and most have booked the Fuel Exe.

riders who want lightweight ebikes are diffrent from ppl who ride FF ebikes. We want as close to manual feeling as possible. It was pointless for us to have 700wh batteries because we were coming back from our 3 hour rides with 80%left.

We dont want to blast around at full speed non stop, powering up every technical uphill without changing gears. We just want abit of assist to take the sting out of the climbs

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Under powered and over priced. Not sure what the attraction is with this "new face of eBiking'. Going further with lots of grunt is the whole point of eBiking in my opinion.

No more than a strange marketing experiment far from the real goal of eBikes weighing as much as analogue bikes (or close) with more power and distance than current eBikes.

The goal is a while away yet though and based on how pricing is going up with cost like 20K 😆 (With Deore).

Last edited:

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Under powered and over priced. Not sure what the attraction is with this "new face of eBiking'. Going further with lots of grunt is the whole point of eBiking in my opinion.

No more than a strange marketing experiment far from the real goal of eBikes weighing as much as analogue bikes (or close) with more power and distance than current eBikes.

The goal is a while away yet though and based on how pricing is going up with cost like 20K 😆 (With Deore).

My LBS already has 5 orders since launch(compared to 6 rails sold this whole year), lightweight Emtbs are very popular depending on the terrain. not everyone does 6 hour rides and needs 700wh batteries

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Its like 13K here in New Zealand though! Ridiculous considering its capabilities.

I'm being cynical but this is just a carrot for the crowds who are wanting a bike that looks normal so they don't get shit talked out on the trail.

They will buy a proper ebike soon after. Trek is laughing all the way to the bank.

my first 2 ebikes were full fat Levos. then i moved to a SL, and i will never buy a FF ebike again. Dont need the weight, dont need the big battery, dont need all that power. Have booked a EXe 9.8 XT to replace my SL.

My group is the same...all went from FF levos to lightweight ebikes and now eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Fuel EXe. You might think they are useless, but they are very in demand where im from

Theres no ebike hate in my country.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania

Once again it depends what you are after in a bike. I find full powered Ebikes heavy and cumbersome while my SL is although still heavy compared to a normal bike, it still has a more nimble feel, I can bunny hop over obstacles, I can move it around in the air, it's doesn't feel like I've pulled the brakes on when I hit the 25kph limiter and when I run the battery flat, it's no chore to ride unassisted.

If you aren't looking for a normal mountain bike riding feel then a full powered bike is maybe what you are after.
It's like saying why by a 250cc dirt bike when you buy a 690cc bike. Different bike for different needs.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
My LBS already has 5 orders since launch(compared to 6 rails sold this whole year)

Can't really argue with stats like that that. Like them or not, clearly there is a market for SL's. It wouldn't really work for me with the type of riding I do here in the UK but I can see their place for many. Actually I'd quite fancy one for Morzine where theres a lot of good riding up top aside from the uplifts. An SL would be perfect :love:

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I don't currently feel the need for an SL ebike. My Enduro is my main bike, and my group of friends mostly rides regular bikes. It's a fast group, so my FF e160 let me go out with them until my fitness was good enough to keep up on the real bike.

I love having an ebike, but definitely my second bike used for fun days blasting round the place with other ebikes, turning wet winter rides into less of a slog, and providing a personal uplift for DH oriented days. It's boring and a bit cold when riding with unassisted friends (although that ease was lovely last night in baking heat).

I'm 46 , in 10 years an SL will be perfect to keep me on the pace when riding with younger / fitter riders. For now though it falls through the middle.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
It's boring and a bit cold when riding with unassisted friends

thats where the SL comes in, with fit frens, on trail mode, its a great workout and you would be tired out. i ride with national level riders, the type of ppl who come in podiums in races all the time, and a SL is perfect to chase them.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
thats where the SL comes in, with fit frens, on trail mode, its a great workout and you would be tired out. i ride with national level riders, the type of ppl who come in podiums in races all the time, and a SL is perfect to chase them.
I'm not riding with anyone that fast, but we're regularly in the top 10% in Strava. I'm probably the slowest in the group, but I can keep up on my regular bike. Like I said, give it 10 years and I'll probably want an SL to stay with the pace, but not just yet.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk

:sneaky: 2014 will be the next big leap in emtb technology , the perfect emtb will be the same weight as a normal bike, it will have a 3nm motor powered buy 3 triple AAA Duracell batteries, it will look exactly like a normal mtb and be indistinguishable from the real thing, you will have to work hard for your satisfaction but it will feel so natural .

Range you say? If you have to ask just fu%k off and get fitter and richer.

Count me in for this new emtb era , the cost £15000 upwards .

Fu£%k me, I've just realised i might as well buy a normal MTB (y)

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Living the dream Rob, fair play.
I can see me being 8k poorer when these bikes hit the floor, and yes i wont be going for the high price version :rolleyes: .

On a negative note unlike Rob i will be at work the following morning after a skin full of beers admiring my purchase and justifying the need to have one.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
when i got my bike id have thought buy now i could get a batt the same size with double the range but it has gone backwards with even bigger batts and frames and more waight.

i want a 15kg bike that can go 50miles going 50 mph ;)
I think you might need to start hitting the gym .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles