The new 2019 Giant Trance E+ 2

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Nice review, thanks. I must admit the long chainstays do puzzle me a bit too - does that make it hard to manual over obstacles on the trail? Would you take the Giant over a similarly priced (but obviosuly much lower specced) Levo, or even the Merida 160 800?

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Thanks.

I have tested the Giant and e160-800 side by side, an they're quite different. Obviously the batteries are quite different. I've never had any worries about the "old" batteries though, but some might feel safer with the Giant battery. And if you ride a lot, the faster recharge times of the Giant can be an advantage.

The e160-800 has fairly short chainstays and doesn't climb as effortlessly as the Trance E+. On the Giant I rarely have to move my body around the bike to keep the front wheel down on steep climbs. On the Merida I need to focus on body position. In tight turns and going down hill, the Merida feels lighter and easier to handle, and it is 1kg+ lighter. But I got the impression the e160 can feel a tad less stable at higher speeds. e160-800 has the SLX brakes, I'm not sure if they're any cheaper than the MT520. The SLX feels easier to operate, but the MT520 is more consistent in the rough. I like the MT520, but the SLX has some advantages and depending on your riding you may not need the MT520.

Drivetrain is pretty much the same on these bikes. But suspension is different, and the 36 Rhythm fork is what makes the Trance E+ 2 a bit better specced. The RS Super Deluxe shock on the e160 has a reservoir and my current impression is that it's a capable shock, but I need more time tuning and experimenting. This might affect how stable the e160 feels at high speed descents too. The Fox shock on the Giant feels nice. The RS might be a bit better for the harder stuff thanks to its reservoir, but I'm not ready to conclude yet.

The Merida tyres has got the grippier 3c compound. I would have to swap the tyres on the Giant, it's quite wet and slippery around here atm.

To me, handling and playfulness beats climbing abilities. So I believe the e160-800 suits me better, but I'm not sure yet. I need to ride the Merida a bit more, hopefully the snow won't arrive in another month.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Great review mate. My Canyon came with 3C MaxTerra on the rear. Great tyre and loads of grip but pretty worn after only 100km.
Thanks. Yeah, the softer 3c compound will not suit all riders/conditions. If I were to get a bike I would prefer 3c to 2c though.

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
Thanks. Yeah, the softer 3c compound will not suit all riders/conditions. If I were to get a bike I would prefer 3c to 2c though.

My mate has got 2C on his Vitus rear wheel and done exactly the same distance so we can compare wear after a couple of months.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles