The lets BBQ on your woodburner thread ...

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Pork Leg.jpg

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
I think you might need to give us some instructions and pictures for replication !!!!!! I've just gone all Sordy and I'm now hungry again !

This is the recipe I used for the overnight marinade...

Garlic Powder 1Tbsp
Onion Powder 1Tbsp
Cayenne powder 1Tbsp
Red Pepper Flakes 1Tbsp
Ground Black Pepper 1Tbsp
Salt 1/2 Tbsp
Brown Sugar 2 Tbsp
Soy Sauce 3 Tbsp
Worcestershire sauce 4 Tbsp

I used a joint of Silverside beef but I cut it too thickly I think, it was a bit of an experiment but I somehow pulled it off :LOL:
You need to cook at around 150f-160f for a good 5-7 hours depending on thickness. There's loads of videos on Youtube how to do it.
There's a photo on my phone I'll post up...

20210103_133422.jpg

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Really need to go shopping .... but this is Zim's patented Covid Garlic BBQ Pork .. it has enough Garlic that no one will be able to get within 2 meters of me !

View attachment 49161

Is that in prep for your night ride to the vampire castle?
Now it all makes sense... first was body armour thread, second I saw him practicing with chainsaws, that was closely followed by a stash of garlic... next will be wooden stakes and silver bullets

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Really need to go shopping .... but this is Zim's patented Covid Garlic BBQ Pork .. it has enough Garlic that no one will be able to get within 2 meters of me !

View attachment 49161
Just about fell off my chair when I first saw your pic on my phone. I thought all of those bits on the side was garlic! But now that I'm on my computer (with my glasses on so I can see), it's just mostly rice. Kinda disappointing.

Mate, that wouldn't scare off Zombies for more than a minute.

Now this... THIS is a real garlic dish. Optional grilled or fried fish can be added as a garnish... ?

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 11.01.18 AM.png

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
OK team , lets see if I can not feck this one up .. I thought I'd marinate my giant steak for tonights BBQ ...

Found this mix .. any thoughts/variations ??

¼ cup whiskey

¼ cup soy sauce

¼ cup Dijon mustard

¼ cup finely chopped green onion

¼ cup packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 dash Worcestershire sauce

ground black pepper to taste
Not enough salt
And where's the acid ?
Maybe whisky will do that .

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Found this mix .. any thoughts/variations ??

Salt - lots.
Pepper - not as much.
Garlic Powder - a light dusting to help the crust form.

You can do it sans the garlic powder, but it does make things nicer without overpowering things.

Hell, I will even give you a couple of my All Purpose rub recipies - just in case that steak is pretty rough ..... or last place at last weeks race meet.

ALL PURPOSE
1/2 Cup Paprika
1/2 Cup Kosher Salt - also can use Himalayan Rock Salt
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Granulated Garlic (fine - or powder)
1/4 Cup Granulated Onion (fine - or powder)
1/4 Cup Chili
1/4 Cup Cumin
2 Tablespoons Ground Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons Dry Mustard
1 Tablespoon Cayanne Papper

ALL PURPOSE 2
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Ground Black Pepper
1/2 cup Kosher Salt - also can use Himalayan Rock Salt
1/2 cup Granulated Garlic (fine - or powder)
1/2 cup Onion Powder
1/2 cup Smoked Paprika
1/2 cup Chili Powder
1/4 cup Cumin

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Ground Black Pepper
1/2 cup Kosher Salt - also can use Himalayan Rock Salt
1/2 cup Granulated Garlic (fine - or powder)
1/2 cup Onion Powder
1/2 cup Smoked Paprika
1/2 cup Chili Powder
1/4 cup Cumin
That's like 4 cups of stuff ? A 600g steak is quite big, but I think it light look like an anchovie on a beach in all that :ROFLMAO:

maynard

Subscriber
Maybe ..

It was "ok" ... but it wasn't "WOW !" ... I'd go so far as to say it was a waste of good whisky !
Cooking with whisky is crazy . Just stick to wine or beer . Its ok to add after cooked for flavour. Its much better to drink instead. Red wine is great for marinating anything. Ok there you go kids . That cooking tip was for free .

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Cooking with whisky is crazy . Just stick to wine or beer . Its ok to add after cooked for flavour. Its much better to drink instead. Red wine is great for marinating anything. Ok there you go kids . That cooking tip was for free .
Ummmm NOOOOOOOOOOO - that fish in your profile would be shite marinated in red wine - needs a white for that … or even better, a honey bourbon.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Da-aum @Beezerk - those look tasty. Sadly, here in NZ the butchers and supermarkets are ripping the hell out of people for the BBQ cuts.
Spare ribs are like $25-30 and are mostly bone and gristle they have been trimmed so close to the bone. Seen baby backs like you started with last week and they wanted $45. Freaking rump cap (picanha) that we used to use for beef mince is now a prime cut and more expensive than sirloin a lot of the time. Even beef cheeks are $20 Kg.

Can remember when I started as a chef and prime beef filet was about $9.00 a Kg and that was like 5 1/2 - 6" diameter. These days they want close to $50 Kg and it is about 3 1/3-4" diameter. Hell, I used to get pork filet that was close to that size. The quality of the meat is crap too - anything that resembles marbeling they add 20% to the price .... if it is not exported.

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Da-aum @Beezerk - those look tasty. Sadly, here in NZ the butchers and supermarkets are ripping the hell out of people for the BBQ cuts.
Spare ribs are like $25-30 and are mostly bone and gristle they have been trimmed so close to the bone. Seen baby backs like you started with last week and they wanted $45. Freaking rump cap (picanha) that we used to use for beef mince is now a prime cut and more expensive than sirloin a lot of the time. Even beef cheeks are $20 Kg.

Can remember when I started as a chef and prime beef filet was about $9.00 a Kg and that was like 5 1/2 - 6" diameter. These days they want close to $50 Kg and it is about 3 1/3-4" diameter. Hell, I used to get pork filet that was close to that size. The quality of the meat is crap too - anything that resembles marbeling they add 20% to the price .... if it is not exported.

Crikey, I hear what you're saying. I've noticed really cheap steaks like Bavette, Denver and Flat Iron are now steadily rising in price because they've become fashionable.
I ordered my meat from an online butcher here in the UK, prices were not too bad to be fair, maybe slightly less than supermarkets given the amount I got and the quality.
Picked up a 1.8kg Jacobs ladder as well which will be going on when the weather allows a 9 hour cook ?

maynard

Subscriber
Ummmm NOOOOOOOOOOO - that fish in your profile would be shite marinated in red wine - needs a white for that … or even better, a honey bourbon.
. I never marinate fish i was talking about red meat or chicken/pork. It cooks the flesh u could poach it slowly at low heat In a mixture off wine and honey bourbon although I've never cooked with bourbon. Although I would prefer fish stock . Trout is so delicate. If I had of killed that fish . I would of cured it . And sliced that shit finely and had it with brioche sour cream and chives . Alas I let her go . She was and is a beautiful fish .

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Or you can go all white guy and hit it with some hard herbs . Thyme rosemary. I like that for little whole pan sized trout.
Gawd .... hell no.

A little thai basil and lemon balm in the butter.
Had chive & parsley butter recently that thought would go well with trout.
Use dill with Salmon and that could work with trout I guess.

Above all .... delicate.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles