The lets BBQ on your woodburner thread ...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Having already shaved my body to avoid appearing more like @Gary ... who, for one day a year, fills several backpacks with tissues for the many lovelies who will weep for what they do not have as the Gary xmas tour begins ....

I have begun Course 3 ... live - on a none live thread ..... lets hope 24 hours of marinade is not too much !!! :cool:

And there's one of English's feck ups .. live .. like now .. not live .. like , live - alive ... live your life to the fullest. ... stupid English.. IT's so much easier in French where everything has at least 10 meanings so you all just blunder through anyway and think the best...

piggy.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@GrandPaBrogan .... that was crap !

Now I'm not sure anything else I eat tonight will be as nice ! :ROFLMAO:

OK, so that actually worked pretty well.. tender , sweet, a slight hint of garlic ... (these things are subjective, so if people stay even further away from me than normal tomorrow, we can adjust the Garlic rating).

Merci ! Good call .

That was after 24 hours marinade, which I think is the borderline limit on run of the mill pork marinate .... so we'll see how the next batch fares tomorrow lunch .. or some period in the smorgasbord of lardyness .. I even chowed down on the bones it was that tasty ! The dog was not happy.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
@GrandPaBrogan .... that was crap !

Now I'm not sure anything else I eat tonight will be as nice ! :ROFLMAO:

OK, so that actually worked pretty well.. tender , sweet, a slight hint of garlic ... (these things are subjective, so if people stay even further away from me than normal tomorrow, we can adjust the Garlic rating).

Merci ! Good call .

That was after 24 hours marinade, which I think is the borderline limit on run of the mill pork marinate .... so we'll see how the next batch fares tomorrow lunch .. or some period in the smorgasbord of lardyness .. I even chowed down on the bones it was that tasty ! The dog was not happy.
Glad you liked it!

Yeah with pork just overnight is about right. Any longer would overpower the meat. You still want to know what kind of meat you’re eating. ?

Next time really crush (shred?) the garlic - maybe use a cheese grater and make a slurry with the vinegar and pepper. ??

Don’t be such a wus with the garlic. When the zombie apocalypse begins, you’ll have at least 3 levels worth of immunity!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Damn. That must be Awesome. What are you drinking with it?
It probably didn't need anything with it as the vinegar was quite alcoholic .. though I'm guessing as I'm still standing/sitting - it burnt off !!!

Warmed up with an old Laphroaig whilst cooking ..

Have to say I wasn't sure what to go for "with" .. was feeling beer'y so was then torn between Leffe and Leffe Ruby (it's xmas) .. but went safe with straight Leffe .. Don't think that really did the meal justice though so open to recommendations !

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Glad you liked it!

Yeah with pork just overnight is about right. Any longer would overpower the meat. You still want to know what kind of meat you’re eating. ?

Next time really crush (shred?) the garlic - maybe use a cheese grater and make a slurry with the vinegar and pepper. ??

Don’t be such a wus with the garlic. When the zombie apocalypse begins, you’ll have at least 3 levels worth of immunity!

I'm sort of coming out of a cooking ban ... :unsure: so a bit out of practice .. I have three graters and a shredder, but for some reason I seem to remember being able to just crush it properly with the side of a knife .. so I'm guessing out of practice. I'm sure @Rusty will tell me to just lean into it with your 200kg's of body muscle and all will be well ..

I love Garlic .. that's another thing which has been missing ... I thought I was pretty generous though ! I haven't seen a Vampire for miles .. or a human for that matter .. is that too much ?

Will report back on the 36 hour .. but that one might have turned to soup ! :)

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
It probably didn't need anything with it as the vinegar was quite alcoholic .. though I'm guessing as I'm still standing/sitting - it burnt off !!!

Warmed up with an old Laphroaig whilst cooking ..

Have to say I wasn't sure what to go for "with" .. was feeling beer'y so was then torn between Leffe and Leffe Ruby (it's xmas) .. but went safe with straight Leffe .. Don't think that really did the meal justice though so open to recommendations !
Try Cervesa muy amigo... or any sort of light or pale sweet pilsen should go well with vinegarish dishes.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Oh I forgot to mention, don’t be tempted to use some other type of vinegar if you’ve ran out of white. I tried it once with malt vinegar and it was horrid! o_O
I don't bother with those - just pull something out of my wine cupboard and keep drinking until I find one that has turned. Hell, after a few bottles I don't even need to eat.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I have three graters and a shredder, but for some reason I seem to remember being able to just crush it properly with the side of a knife .. so I'm guessing out of practice. I'm sure @Rusty will tell me to just lean into it with your 200kg's of body muscle and all will be well ..
Hell, I have been out of the industry for 20 years now. Most meals would be from down the road or frozen ones from the supermarket if I had my choice.
However, these seem to be what every trendy chef is using currently. Perfect for crushing garlic.
1608755207959.png

Kind of makes my Sabatier and Wusthof knives seem old school.

I love Garlic .. that's another thing which has been missing ... I thought I was pretty generous though ! I haven't seen a Vampire for miles .. or a human for that matter .. is that too much ?

Nope, if it keeps people away it is just right.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I remember dating miss Colorado
As if I didn't already feel sorry enough for the poor girl ! ? :devilish: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ?

How surreal ... I was just looking through a photo album yesterday and found some pics of Colorado and 4 corners ?

Anyway, I digress .. POOR GIRL ! We won't ask you to divulge $/KM ! ??????

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Dude. Me too. Garlic stuffed olives. Or just plain old spaghetti noodles with butter and garlic. I remember dating miss Colorado and she hated garlic (oddly she had a vampire peak hairline)
When I was getting annoyed with her I’d just grab a jar of garlic stuffed olives haha.
I didn't realise Zimmerframe's sister won the miss Colorado pageant. :unsure:

I guess anything can happen in France... with @Zimmerframe accustomed to celebrating the eve of Christmas eve (Christmas eve eve), I wouldn't be surprised if he's stuffing himself with garlic stuffed with garlic this very moment.

Same... my fav spaghetti is just slow roasted paper-thin sliced garlic in olive oil, a bit of salt, then sprinkled with parmesan (maybe with some parsley) - Aglio e Olio. (y)(y)(y)

Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 10.32.08 AM.png

I've gone off the tomato-y versions ever since I first tried it.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
For the pork marinated in white vinegar, crushed garlic and black pepper .....

The 24 hour marinate was amazing ..

The 48 hour marinate created a new genetically engineered product which looked like pork, but tasted like vinegar and just vinegar.... ? ??

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
He's a b****ard isn't he .. I already have a viewing backlog an now I have an eating backlog !
So yet ANOTHER GrandPaBrogan BBQ recipe then: ?

Mayhem of opening the presents with the grandkids is over! Just had Christmas lunch and everyone is taking a nap. I've completed my annual task of preparing the BBQ glazed HAM. Here's the recipe if anyone is interested. You need a BBQ unit that has a lid.

The ingredients:
Ham on the bone. Slice off the skin and fat then make deep cross-cuts with a knife. Place in a deep metal tray (I prefer a thick aluminium throw-away tray so no sticky dishes to wash).

Apple Juice (the murky type, DO NOT use the clear transparent one), Apricot Jam, and Whole Grain Mustard. I use about half of everything that's on the pic, so roughly about 500ml of juice and 250 grams jam and 100 grams mustard grains. Put those pasty liquids in a pot or bowl and mix evenly - easier to do by hand.
Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 1.31.49 PM.png

Then place the tray with ham over one side of the BBQ over the burner with very low heat. Fire up the other burners at the opposite end on high - but you'll need to turn those down and eventually off later. Pour the liquid mix onto the tray, and baste it over the ham every so often (every 5 - 10 minutes more or less). Optional: If you have wood chips for smokers, sprinkle some of that down the grilles but not too much. Close the lid.
Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 1.32.27 PM.png

Keep watch and baste continually. It'll get to the point where the liquid will start boiling. That's the time to turn down the heat on the other burners (or even switch one burner off if two are running). Close the lid. Keep checking... keep basting. (Note: I only put the tin can there to prop the bone upwards, because the basting juice kept spilling out of the tray).
Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 1.34.27 PM.png

When the liquid reduces down near the bottom of the tray, it's time to turn off all the other burners except the one underneath, which is always on LOW. This is where it gets critical. If the heat isn't turned down, the whole thing can burn quickly and get ruined. Close lid... keep checking... keep basting.
Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 1.35.07 PM.png

It'll get to a point where the liquid is almost gone - and whatever little of it remains will be too thick and sticky that you can't spoon it to baste. That means it's done. Depending on your heat, this should take about an hour (minimum time I recon). The lower the heat, or the more the basting liquid you make the longer it will take... the tastier the inside is gonna be. But I wouldn't do it for longer than 2 hours otherwise you might end us with a measly drumstick!

It's a perfect assignment if you want to be anti-social and yet still be praised, haha! ?
Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 1.35.33 PM.png

Last edited:

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I've completed my annual task of preparing the BBQ glazed HAM.
Back when I was Sous Chef at the Waikato Motor Hotel we used to do ham on the Christmas Buffets. Usually Wed-Sat through December as a dinner-show with Sunday night being the family night. With my assistant used to carve 5-8 hams a night.
Cook from raw in the steamer from 10am then dress them and put them into the bakers over to complete. Hate to think what those huge beasties would cost at todays prices. Thought about a ham and had a look - a knuckle with about half what you have there was $30.
Bought a Turkey roll instead.

The ingredients:
Ham on the bone.
Kind of hard to do ham on the bone .... without ham on the bone :ROFLMAO:

If you want Pro Points - stud with whole cloves at each cross cut.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
OK team , lets see if I can not feck this one up .. I thought I'd marinate my giant steak for tonights BBQ ...

Found this mix .. any thoughts/variations ??

¼ cup whiskey

¼ cup soy sauce

¼ cup Dijon mustard

¼ cup finely chopped green onion

¼ cup packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 dash Worcestershire sauce

ground black pepper to taste

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Xmas dinner was a muesli bar out on the trails. Today I have a cooked meal.
Bought a turkey roll, but when I cut the netting off found it to be a lot ofsmall pieces and not a wholer piece rolled. Had no string to tie it after I wrapped it in bacon so lots of toothpicks to hold it all together. Smoked with apple wood and basted with a mix of apple juice and apple cider with a little brown sugar. Pretty tasty and very moist.

20201226_172947 (Small).jpg

20201226_173149 (Small).jpg

20201226_173254 (Small).jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles