E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
We try to do this ride twice a year
Once in summer, once in winter.
Yesterday was the day
Awesome day with a hilarious bunch of mates
Weather was kind , 7 degrees , dry and sun even appeared.
Loads of surface water and saturated ground but definitely rideable.
Thoroughly recommend this ride .
Some tricky sections and techy climbs and the long decent from the top of' The Gap' is proper treacherous . Butt clenching rock garden that goes on for about 2.5 km
Can mince it down though if you're a bit of a Liteweight like me ?
Stunning views and a cracking alternative to the trail centres.
Open fire and fabulous food in 'The White Heart '
The Talybont on Usk village hall now has showers , bike wash , tools , airlines , toilets , changing facilities and parking all for very modest fees .
Also now a small bike shop in the village.

Get it done if you have the opportunity !!

Screenshot_2019-12-24-12-12-37.png

IMG-20191223-WA0031.jpg

IMG-20191223-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20191223-WA0022.jpg

IMG-20191223-WA0025.jpg

IMG-20191223-WA0024.jpg

IMG-20191223-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20191223-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20191223-WA0004.jpg

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
aye, great ride and the best thing about a lot of riding in Wales is that its rocky and drains well enough. Ive never done the loop around the Gap, only point to point... would you mind sharing the gpx file?
Yep no problem , bear with , it's easier to do from my laptop.
Our preferred start is from Talybont on Usk. Up the steep ramp in The White Heart car park and pick up the tramway bridleway , which is where we started yesterday .
Then the last 4 or 5 km are not too painful as they can be done on the road or pic up the canal tow path which will take to directly to Talybont as well
Note - after the long descent from the top you will go through narrow rocky gullies that are a bit gnarly for a couple of kms.
Then through several fields and gates .
This is the right way and all legit .
I'm sure there are other alternatives but this is our tried and tested way and works well

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
I've done it once on a clockwork bike a few years ago, it's a great ride but I did it mid summer and there were a lot of walkers who were to be fair very friendly, but after about 1000th "excuse me please" I got a bit fed up with it. This time of year I'd imagine it's great.

murz100

Feb 16, 2019
bristol
I've done it once on a clockwork bike a few years ago, it's a great ride but I did it mid summer and there were a lot of walkers who were to be fair very friendly, but after about 1000th "excuse me please" I got a bit fed up with it. This time of year I'd imagine it's great.
I was thinking the same thing bloody walkers ?

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
aye, great ride and the best thing about a lot of riding in Wales is that its rocky and drains well enough. Ive never done the loop around the Gap, only point to point... would you mind sharing the gpx file?
Here you go ,try this

Attachments

• The_Gap_Brecon_Beacons.gpx
    670.4 KB · Views: 438

Wheelie_King

The Spirit Level ?️
Sep 28, 2019
Lancashire (Fylde Coast)
I did The Gap ride over ten years ago on my old skool MTB. My favourite aspect after the fact it was a great ride is that in Welsh it’s Fan y Big..... The Gap. The school boy in still find that hilarious!!

D8797925-64B3-410D-8589-0C7D323497B0.jpeg

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Your welcome Fella , enjoy !!
Loads of other variations around there as well .
I intend to do a bit more mapping in that vicinity over the next few months .
I grew up in Brecon , so know the area pretty well .
I'll post some more up in the not too distant future .

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Your welcome Fella , enjoy !!
Loads of other variations around there as well .
I intend to do a bit more mapping in that vicinity over the next few months .
I grew up in Brecon , so know the area pretty well .
I'll post some more up in the not too distant future .

when you are planning to go up there gimme a shout on here and if I can join you I will !

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I’m grew up in Brecon so would do these rides often , my bike then was a classic muddy fox courier comp in flo green no suspension ( front or rear ) . We would ride on the road upto libanus the go left up a lane to the foot path upto pen y fan ( bikes over shoulders , head down with the thought of a sandwich and a spliff when at the top ) . The ride down from pen y fan to the gap was abit hairy but no one died , then carry bikes up fan y big then DH ride all the way back to town for a pint , bloody loved it ! Bikes have come on a long way since then !
Happy Christmas everyone

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
there are only 2 sections that are technical.....the rest ( apart from the actual descent through the Gap) is just incredibly rocky...and it is all quite big loose rock. The descent is straight and fairly smooth. Suggest you run high tyre pressures and 2 lots of padded pants!!

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
there are only 2 sections that are technical.....the rest ( apart from the actual descent through the Gap) is just incredibly rocky...and it is all quite big loose rock. The descent is straight and fairly smooth. Suggest you run high tyre pressures and 2 lots of padded pants!!

Useful advice. What’s the reason for higher tyre pressures?

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Useful advice. What’s the reason for higher tyre pressures?

I assume its to avoid pinch flats but... when I did it on a motorbike I ran 25psi at the beginning and almost died :D :D it was so harsh. stopped and dropped pressures to 15 and all good..
on a lot of the rock around here (i live near the gap and a lot of trails are similar) I run pretty low pressures personally, I just cant take the beating.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
My Butcher Grids did well...no cuts and no punctures but the rims had quite few marks....not dents, just chips. I ran 28f 30r. you would be doing well to avoid every hard edge rock and yes it is tiring on the arms and wrists!

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
My Butcher Grids did well...no cuts and no punctures but the rims had quite few marks....not dents, just chips. I ran 28f 30r. you would be doing well to avoid every hard edge rock and yes it is tiring on the arms and wrists!
Cracking video
Really shows how gnarly the main descent is

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles