The Focus picture thread and mods made

jerryx2000

Aug 18, 2020
Winterthur
Took the jam2 Bosch for its first ride today (finally over my man flu thank god).

Set up with 27.5 wheels in low mode with 170mm fork.

Very very impressed with it. Motor is nice and powerful, definitely feels more powerful than the shimano and about the same as the brose mk2. I was pleasantly surprised by the noise levels, not as bad as reviews say and I think quieter than the shimano.

Bike handled really well. Snappy in corners, jumped well. Brakes were plenty adequate.

I can understand what reviewers say about lack of support when things get rowdy, but its not as bad as they make out. Its probably just down to the fact the shock has no compression settings on it at all, not even a lockout. I think I’ll swap the shock out and then it will be perfect.

For £3.3k I don’t think you can get a better ebike.

Its certainly rides a lot better than the Canyon Spectral 6.0 and I prefer it to the YT Decoy which are its nearest price point competitors. View attachment 26907

3.3k + 5000 on parts you mean?

jerryx2000

Aug 18, 2020
Winterthur
Hi guys I have the chance to buy the 2019 SAM2 fro 3'795€. Is it still worth it?

Grösse: M
Federweg: Vo 170mm Hi 170mm
Gabel: Fox 36 Performance Elite
Dämpfer: Fox Float DPS Performance Evol
Motor: Shimano Steps E8000
Akku: 378 WH
Schaltung: Shimano XT 11 fach
Sattelstütze: KindShock E30i
Bremsen: Shimano Zee 203/180mm
Laufräder: DT Swiss H1900, Tubeless
Reifen: Maxxis Minion DHF 27.5x2.6 3C Exo TR und Schwalbe Eddy Current Rear 27.5x2.8
Pedale: ohne
Gewicht: 21.9kg
sam2.jpg

thedrizzle

Dec 21, 2020
Blackburn North
I finally added an ebike to my stable and went with the 2021 jam2 6.7 nine

I thought the spec was lacking but happy with the frame and motor so immediately switched out a bunch of parts from the bike it's replacing.

- manitou mezzer pro @170mm 29"
- nextie asymetric carbon rims (mullet) with industry 9 hydra hub in the rear and a hope pro4 in the front.
- 200mm brand X dropper post
- formula cura 4 brakes
- swiss stop catalyst rotors (203mm)
- joystick analogue carbon bars
- joystick binary 35mm stem

It's an absolute dream to ride and my other rig has been totally ignored. I found when I jumped back onto it, I thought the hub was binding but it was just the lack of assistance.

Anyway looking to do the final mod and want to fit a manitou mara pro shock to replace the stock deluxe.

Has anyone fitted this shock on a jam2 or any others that fit? Clearance looks tight! Fwiw the frame is an XL.

IMG_20201115_084407.jpg

David2e

Dec 4, 2020
Slovenia
how is the manitou mezzer
I finally added an ebike to my stable and went with the 2021 jam2 6.7 nine

I thought the spec was lacking but happy with the frame and motor so immediately switched out a bunch of parts from the bike it's replacing.

- manitou mezzer pro @170mm 29"
- nextie asymetric carbon rims (mullet) with industry 9 hydra hub in the rear and a hope pro4 in the front.
- 200mm brand X dropper post
- formula cura 4 brakes
- swiss stop catalyst rotors (203mm)
- joystick analogue carbon bars
- joystick binary 35mm stem

It's an absolute dream to ride and my other rig has been totally ignored. I found when I jumped back onto it, I thought the hub was binding but it was just the lack of assistance.

Anyway looking to do the final mod and want to fit a manitou mara pro shock to replace the stock deluxe.

Has anyone fitted this shock on a jam2 or any others that fit? Clearance looks tight! Fwiw the frame is an XL.

View attachment 47766

How is the manitou mezzer fork? I am also thinking about upgrading to this fork or the Lyrik.

thedrizzle

Dec 21, 2020
Blackburn North
The mezzer is fantastic. It's the best fork I have ridden, the chassis is very stiff, it holds a line well through rock gardens with deflecting and because of the irt you can run it plush in the initial stroke and have it ride high and not dive in the mid stroke. I replaced a grip2 fox 36 with the mezzer and it's worlds better imo. There is a spreadsheet on the mezzer thread on mtbr which I found spot on for getting it set up.

SGS

Jan 5, 2021
Sydney
Focus Jam2 2020 (3).jpg

2020 Focus Jam2 Plus
Current mods - 36 tooth chainring, XT shifter, 35mm stem with 35mm rise bars, Wolftooth Fat Paw XL grips, Bontrager Montrose saddle (had it on my Trek and loved it), One-Up 170mm dropper with PNW lever, Maxxis DHF / DHR II tyres.

Roger

Mar 21, 2021
Bocholtz NL
View attachment 26946 View attachment 26947
Fitted the new bracket for the Kiox. Looks a bit better but still quite a bulky display to integrate nicely. It’s already got a chip in the corner of the screen too, not sure what longevity it will have. Does anyone know how easy it is to swap it out for the Purion display? Almost positive at some point I will set off for a ride without the Kiox and not be able to turn the bike on ?‍♂️?
I mounted the KTM bracket!

20200222_141621.jpg

Cleach20

Mar 16, 2021
South Korea
2020 Jam² 6.7 plus with 29” wheel up front. Fox 38 170mm fork 44mm offset. Different bars off one of my other bikes until I find what I want to put on for good. 220/203 Magura rotors. Old Chester pedals. Everything else is stock and loving the bike!! I’ve had it about 3 weeks now and put 243 km on it already
E332367D-A75D-4EFC-8497-3F86F350970B.jpeg
F9190562-0850-41C3-B39A-E2E77F5BD4CE.jpeg

themoon

Sep 12, 2020
Ukraine
Thinking of whether I should upgrade my M6000 brakes (although they are quite fine even for some non-agressive mountain biking, having some extra stopping power could be nice).

Since stock hose does not have banjo, will I have to replace the hose to install it - if say I will want to use mt5 or some of shimano ffering with banjos?

If replacing the hose, do I need to remove the motor and battery?

Roger

Mar 21, 2021
Bocholtz NL
Myskovon. - Also when you have connected the Acid handlebar Kiox mount can you post photos and give feedback. As I am interested in moving Kiox display too

The Kiox holder from KTM looks better! It's mounted on the rightside of the stem!
Regards from NL.

ktm-kiox-halter-einarm-mtb_600x600@2x.jpg

millemille

Feb 21, 2020
Peak District
20210810_103421.jpg

Business up front, party round the back.

Yes, gone mullet.

No downsides, even with the flip chip on the low setting not getting too many pedal strikes and the bike is a lot more agile.

Picked up an American Classic Smoking Gun 27.5" rear wheel which seems to be a smart bit of kit and stuck on a 2.6" Magic Mary on it...

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
Hey Sijmes, Nice bike - I have the same. Love the black. How do you find the Nukeproof bars and stem compared to original? Are the bars are they carbon or alloy? What size stem?
Sorry, only just read your message. Bars and stem are Neutron ALU. Stem is the shortest, 30mm I think and the bars are the highest riser bars. I have a few bikes and they all have this combo. You probably have already bought some ?

bilgamesch

Sep 19, 2021
Germany
That's because derby cycles does not sell that bike under the focus brand anymore, but still produces them as Univega, Serious and Liq. The latter two are in-house brands of German retailers. It was only 1999€ because of that which is a bargain for what you get.

I've never seen one of these before. Why are there no focus stickers on the frame ? Nice bike ??

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
That's because derby cycles does not sell that bike under the focus brand anymore, but still produces them as Univega, Serious and Liq. The latter two are in-house brands of German retailers. It was only 1999€ because of that which is a bargain for what you get.
I work indirectly for Pon here in the Netherlands. It's hard to keep up with all the companies and subsidiaries. Derby, Union, Raleigh, Focus, Santa Cruz and many more non MTB cycle brands. I'll check out the ones you mentioned ??

millemille

Feb 21, 2020
Peak District
Made a few mods over the last 12 months..

PE6x92.jpg

Renthal stem, Hope bottom headset, Cane creek top headset, Boxxer forks with a custom top yoke, Hope mullet wheel set, Hope tec4 V4 brakes, Hope discs, Spoon saddle...

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
thumbnail_IMG_4982.jpg

Diety 30mm rise bars, Saint flat pedals, red Hope floating 220mm front disc with a Cleanskin caliper mount, matching red Snail brand floating rear disc, Ergon Ebike seat, gone mullet with a Hope Fortus 30mm-27.5 rear wheel shod in a 2.6 Magic Mary, Kiox display with a Jam handle bar mount, with the smaller Kiox controller and some red Oury grips.
Most of it sourced from my old e160 900E Merida before I sold it.
Loving the better DH capabilities of the new steed, and of course, the more grunt from the Bosch motor over the Shimano 8000 and the bigger, fresher battery.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles