The Focus picture thread and mods made

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
So I take it this is a Sam ? Nice piece of kit 😍
Yeah, Sam 2 6.9, been looking for a replacement for my 3 year old Merida for a bit and after having ridden a Bosch motor there was no going back. This Sam was heavily discounted in the End of Financial Year sales back a month or so and with the spec of the bike I couldn't resist. As a mate put it, I had 'New Bike Fever'

Lee c

Jan 31, 2022
Uk
Made a few mods over the last 12 months..

PE6x92.jpg

Renthal stem, Hope bottom headset, Cane creek top headset, Boxxer forks with a custom top yoke, Hope mullet wheel set, Hope tec4 V4 brakes, Hope discs, Spoon saddle...

This looks an absolute weapon !

Andrew426

Sep 27, 2022
New Zealand
This is my '21 jam2 6.9 I bought in march '22 because it was pretty much all there was available with a Shimano/fox build. The headset lasted all of 200km before seizing and being swapped out for a 1.5 degree angle set from works components and a 170mm air shaft in the fork to bring the front back up. At the same time I ditched the magic Mary on the front in favor of an assguy. I did a couple of enduros on it and found that the DPS would get hot and start squeaking on long stages so I got a new take-off DPX2 for it, and heating up hasn't been a problem since. I've just passed 1100kms on the bike and mulletted it with a stans ex3 rim on a spank hex hub, DHR2 and cushcore + a new chain. Super happy with how it rides at the moment.

Tbh I probably should have bought a Sam2 rather than the jam2 but there were no bikes available anywhere and my first choice (reign e1) was 6+ months away. Definitely happy with the bike now

IMG_20230226_185922.jpg

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
This is my '21 jam2 6.9 I bought in march '22 because it was pretty much all there was available with a Shimano/fox build. The headset lasted all of 200km before seizing and being swapped out for a 1.5 degree angle set from works components and a 170mm air shaft in the fork to bring the front back up. At the same time I ditched the magic Mary on the front in favor of an assguy. I did a couple of enduros on it and found that the DPS would get hot and start squeaking on long stages so I got a new take-off DPX2 for it, and heating up hasn't been a problem since. I've just passed 1100kms on the bike and mulletted it with a stans ex3 rim on a spank hex hub, DHR2 and cushcore + a new chain. Super happy with how it rides at the moment.

Tbh I probably should have bought a Sam2 rather than the jam2 but there were no bikes available anywhere and my first choice (reign e1) was 6+ months away. Definitely happy with the bike now

View attachment 107788
I've never seen one in real life, but the Sam doesn't appear to be much if any burlier than the Jam. How are you liking the short chainstays with that 27.5 in the rear ? Mine pops onto the back wheel if I drop my heels. I've tried a few modern bikes but at least for my style of riding, the Jam2 is pretty lively in comparison. I've been keeping an eye out for something to replace it should it be necessary but since the new Jam2 went Shimano, I'm pretty undecided.

Andrew426

Sep 27, 2022
New Zealand
Yeah more because the things I've done to my Jam2 (slacker HA, mullet, more travel, burlier shock) are just making it how a Sam2 comes out factory. Definitely liking the shorter chainstays, it's so easy to pop the front up now and it feels a lot more comfortable in tighter berms

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I've never seen one in real life, but the Sam doesn't appear to be much if any burlier than the Jam. How are you liking the short chainstays with that 27.5 in the rear ? Mine pops onto the back wheel if I drop my heels. I've tried a few modern bikes but at least for my style of riding, the Jam2 is pretty lively in comparison. I've been keeping an eye out for something to replace it should it be necessary but since the new Jam2 went Shimano, I'm pretty undecided.
I think the new Bosch versions are due out some time early this year.

ChillyWilly

Feb 4, 2021
Netherlands
My 2021 Sam2.

Mods/Changes:
800mm 35mm rise Raceface SixC handlebar
40mm Stem
Acros zs56 headset cover
OneUp 210mm dropper
Mullet DT Swiss FR 541 wheelset (+rear tyreinvader) (high/long/slack position)
29x2.6 Magic Marry Super Gravity
27.5x2.6 Eddy Current Rear Super Gravity (next up Kryptotal Re Enduro Soft)
ZEB 2023 DebonAir+ 180mm Airshaft

Yes I know the saddle angle looks ridiculous in this picture. Trust me, at full height it's not that steep and I like it that way. :p 20230319_135919_lmc_8.4.jpg

Zemetal

Sep 20, 2023
Italy
2020 Jam2 now with FOX 38 fork (non ebike) 160mm 44mm offset & FOX DPX2 rear shock in large frame

View attachment 54928
Hi! I’ve got a focus jam2 6.8 large frame with fox 38 kashima fork (instead of fox rythm 34) and fox dps performance 210x55 rear shock.
I'd like to mount the fox dpx2 like you. What 4-digit custom tune code does yours have? does it hit the frame at any point? Could you kindly give me some advice having already mounted it on yours?
Thank you so much!

SGS

Jan 5, 2021
Sydney
I had my DPX2 built to suit the Jam2 by Cyclinic Suspension. I had the largest possible volume spacer installed. Also, good luck getting a DPX2 as they are no longer available as they have been replaced by the Float X. If you are in Australia, l am considering selling my DPX2, for the right price

Zemetal

Sep 20, 2023
Italy
I had my DPX2 built to suit the Jam2 by Cyclinic Suspension. I had the largest possible volume spacer installed. Also, good luck getting a DPX2 as they are no longer available as they have been replaced by the Float X. If you are in Australia, l am considering selling my DPX2, for the right price
I'm Italian, I think the shipping would cost more than the shock 😂😂 I tried to mount a dpx2 on my jam2 yesterday and unfortunately, due to the larger diameter of the extra volume chamber compared to the original dps, the shock hits the frame. I suspect that whoever mounts it on the jam2 keeps it at a lower pressure than what it needed, otherwise I don't understand how it doesn't hit the frame. I know this problem doesn't occur on XL size frames. The float x, which as you said replaces the dpx2, even has a larger piggy back than the dpx2 so it cannot be a good solution. I'm thinking to mount a factory DPS or go directly to a coil shock. what advice do you have?

SGS

Jan 5, 2021
Sydney
I'm Italian, I think the shipping would cost more than the shock 😂😂 I tried to mount a dpx2 on my jam2 yesterday and unfortunately, due to the larger diameter of the extra volume chamber compared to the original dps, the shock hits the frame. I suspect that whoever mounts it on the jam2 keeps it at a lower pressure than what it needed, otherwise I don't understand how it doesn't hit the frame. I know this problem doesn't occur on XL size frames. The float x, which as you said replaces the dpx2, even has a larger piggy back than the dpx2 so it cannot be a good solution. I'm thinking to mount a factory DPS or go directly to a coil shock. what advice do you have?
I had the DPX2 on a large frame, it cleared the downtube by less than one millimeter, and I ran around 275-280psi in it. A coil conversion is worth it, but requires some fiddling around to get it to work. You will need to change the main rocker to one off a Sam2 amongst other things. I love my coil conversion.

SGS

Jan 5, 2021
Sydney
Wow! Wonderful! Doesn't replacing the rocker arm with that of a SAM2 change the geometries and the way the rear stay works?
I have not gone into the geometric changes apart from the fact that the head angle has steepened fractionally due to the bottom bracket being raised slightly. I have not noticed any detrimental effects to the ride or handling. Actually the ride is now more supple due to the way a coil works (after you get the coil rate right)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles