The dramatic Atlantic cliff coastal path of South England has the Middle Earth vibe, I rode my efatbike along it.

Bobbobby

Nov 7, 2018
United Kingdom
Is the coast path a footpath or bridle way or were you just being naughty. (y) Nice vid and thanks for posting.
Well its seen as a footpath, but the coastal path is a grey area, you do see no cycling signs in some places, but they are usually put up by locals.
I did the best thing..rode at 8am before the tourists got out of bed

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Awesome vid, I could sit for hours on one of those high cliffside rocks.

I do think you would have had a good few stroppy walkers had you seen any. Good timing on your part there!

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I'm guessing from the video title;

Bolt Head walk

1635420978247.png

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
I can see the attraction of riding a coast path because I walk so many and you imagine how good it would be to be on your bike on them. Trouble is the ramblers don’t see it like that neither do the national trust who own a lot of them. And if everyone thought they would go out in their bike on the coast paths can you imagine the uproar. It’s a subject which will be discussed forever.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
In my area of Southern England the SW Coast path is the Jurassic Coastline in Dorset..........yep it is definitely a footpath and well used by ramblers/walkers as well and whilst some parts are rideable there are stiles etc at fairly regular intervals and not somewhere you should be riding a bike. There is however what many refer to as an upper coast path which is bridleway/ridgeway/byways with equally stunning views of the coastline.........it is also further inland than the coastpath which is a blessing given parts of the SW Coastpath are subject to erosion and cliff falls are not uncommon along the entire south coast, and quite regularly further down in Devon!
If you know your way around you can ride on legal rights of way all the way from Old Harry Rocks to Weymouth and Portland ( but its hard going!!). Most of the route is covered on various rides on my you tube channel if you are interested (mikerbwind)

Last edited:

Bobbobby

Nov 7, 2018
United Kingdom
😆

I know that "footpath" well, together with the equally beautiful stretches east of Salcombe round Start Point.
Both are about as unoqivically "footpath" as it gets. Very beautiful and well trodden.
Clearly marked as a footpath by Ordanance Survey, gates and signage, with many stretches in the tennure of the National Trust.

I would not advocate anyone interpret that as a cycling route, no matter how early you get up
(or choose to squint at the maps & signage)
Enjoy them without the bike. (y)

Really ? Which bit ?

The England Coastal Path as a single entity is reffered to only as a Path as it is made up of numerous classifications of permisive right.
The term "Path", does not superseded the status of any particular section. The overwhelming majority of the national route is clearly designated footpath.

See link below

Signs and Waymarking - South West Coast Path

Nice scenic video though :ROFLMAO:
Well I grew up in Salcombe and cycled a lot of that 40 years ago on a bmx with my cousin!
There were quite a few people on gravel bikes the last time I walked it and you can see bike tracks on a few of the shots.
In fact last year people were riding mid day, which is pretty stupid to say the least, as you can see I had the entire thing to myself and running fat tyres at 15psi, I was doing next to zero damage
But no...dont ride it, though I dont personally regard an 8am ride in late October as anti social or dangerous to anyone else.

I joined the path at soar, there are no stiles and zero no cycling signs from there to the fenced cliff walk.

The main cliff top route is actuallly a four whell vehicle track as you cansee in some of the shots

Bobbobby

Nov 7, 2018
United Kingdom
In my area of Southern England the SW Coast path is the Jurassic Coastline in Dorset..........yep it is definitely a footpath and well used by ramblers/walkers as well and whilst some parts are rideable there are stiles etc at fairly regular intervals and not somewhere you should be riding a bike. There is however what many refer to as an upper coast path which is bridleway/ridgeway/byways with equally stunning views of the coastline.........it is also further inland than the coastpath which is a blessing given parts of the SW Coastpath are subject to erosion and cliff falls are not uncommon along the entire south coast, and quite regularly further down in Devon!
If you know your way around you can ride on legal rights of way all the way from Old Harry Rocks to Weymouth and Portland ( but its hard going!!). Most of the route is covered on various rides on my you tube channel if you are interested (mikerbwind)
Which clips are that route?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I can see the attraction of riding a coast path because I walk so many and you imagine how good it would be to be on your bike on them. Trouble is the ramblers don’t see it like that neither do the national trust who own a lot of them. And if everyone thought they would go out in their bike on the coast paths can you imagine the uproar. It’s a subject which will be discussed forever.
Come up here. you can legally ride the entire Scottish coastline in peace. (or anywhere you want in Scotland really so long as you're not being a dick about it) most passers by will cheerily say hello to you. Because we're not fannies ;)

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Come up here. you can legally ride the entire Scottish coastline in peace. (or anywhere you want in Scotland really so long as you're not being a dick about it) most passers by will cheerily say hello to you. Because we're not fannies ;)

If only the rest of the nanny state uk was as sensible.

The world would be a much simpler happier place 👍🏻

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever

Gary I would love to come up there and ride and one day I will even just to get a beer out of you. :D . It’s the same old story with subjects like this. It’s the few idiots that ruin it for everyone. I have ridden on some short bits of coast path in Devon and been polite to the one walker I saw with no issues whatever But I heard of four guys doing the same bit and giving some walkers a load of grief like they should not be there walking on a footpath. After that I never did that bit again. I didn’t want to be tarred with the same brush.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Gary I would love to come up there and ride and one day I will even just to get a beer out of you. :D . It’s the same old story with subjects like this. It’s the few idiots that ruin it for everyone. I have ridden on some short bits of coast path in Devon and been polite to the one walker I saw with no issues whatever But I heard of four guys doing the same bit and giving some walkers a load of grief like they should not be there walking on a footpath. After that I never did that bit again. I didn’t want to be tarred with the same brush.
Yeah. I'll gladly buy you a pint mate. I lived in the South West of England for a few years. While there I continued to use Scottish common sense and ride wherever I pleased. Harming no one and no land with a friendly greeting for everyone I met. Never once had any grief.

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick

anyone else reminded of the Banana Splits watching this vid? 🍌

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
anyone else reminded of the Banana Splits watching this vid? 🍌
The guy in the video (Bruce) can be pretty out there at times. I wouldnt put it past him to go fatbiking dressed up as one of the banana splits.

folmonty

Mar 11, 2021
NorCal
That was a super enjoyable video. Amazing that you have access to places like this. Would love to experience this myself someday, but would sadly be hiking not riding. Thanks for sharing 🙏

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Also, you cannot ride across the Lulworth Firing Ranges. When they are shut, the army continue firing even if you are in the exclusion zone and even when they are open, bikes are banned and the Range Wardens still patrol for safety reasons so people don't stray off the paths as there is a significant unknown amount of unexploded ordnance (bombs and missiles). You can cycle the roads when the ranges are open, but not the trails.
The range walks are shown on Ordnance Survey maps: Landranger 19 (Dorchester & Weymouth) and OL15 (Purbeck & South Dorset).

Attachments

• document1.pdf
    143.6 KB · Views: 123

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
That was fantastic :D what a truly beautiful scenic ride. Though I must admit I was expecting Sean Bean to jump out at any moment, sword at the ready.
What was the total length of journey and which mode were you in ?(Tour/tour+/turbo .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles