The Bosch Range Thread

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Based on a question I asked on Pedelecs that doesn't really have a definitive answer, how about we all post our real life ranges here.

To ensure some kind of consistency, please only post rides that are backed up with data from Strava or similar so we can all see the type of terrain.

I'll go first;
Mostly using Eco mode on my first proper ride. 1 mile range remaining...
FoD 6-1-18.PNG

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
:eek: Eddie you are one very sick puppy..........................................there is something very wrong with that chart :confused:.................................

It clearly show's you climbing 6000 odd metres (ye sorry Ft :rolleyes:) .....................................................................................but where on earth is the down bit!!!!!!!! :oops:

Last edited:
E

EddieJ

:D

Nah, according to Wiki, the ride started at 802ft (2,631metres) and the elevation gain for the climb was 6,354ft (1937metres)

I didn't record the ride back down again, as I tend to only record the climbing. :)

The ride back down took a different route, and by memory was about three miles longer. Basically 14 miles of down hill riding!!o_O

If you look at this, you can change the units between metric and imperial, and also the speed at which is plays back. Epic_climb_ - Doarama

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Thank goodness for that, sounds like a hell of a run back down, Fair play Eddie that's some climb (y)

You are two wheeled mountaineer :D

E

EddieJ

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Perhaps oddly, I get my fun from the climbing, and not so much the down hill aspect of riding. I'm not really hooked on down hill speed, preferring a more technical and slow route back down, in a sort of trials bike fashion. Weirdly, it doesn't even matter to me if I end up carry the bike up or down, as I just seem to enjoy the challenge of gettiing there.

Good job that we are all different. :)

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Superb video, Thanks I really enjoyed watching that, it would be a shame to take it down........... perhaps start a new thread, ........... Inspirational MTB Video's :)

Very rare that you get a real sense of just how steep things are from a video, but this did .................. at the end, It looked like he still had a fair way still to go with sun getting low..................but he certainly looked like he new what he was doing :cool:

E

EddieJ

I have just happened to come across three more that I must have saved. I'll do some UK ones from my local riding and also from the South Downs at some stage over the few days.

Climb 2.JPG

Climb 4.JPG

Climb one.JPG

E

EddieJ

Brilliant. :D

For some very strange reason, I thought that you would say that. I think that I have one further ride with down on it as well. I couldn't go down the Lauberhorn ski run without some record of it. :)

I'll have a play and upload them to Doarama. :)

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
It really is a fabulous way to record your rides, especially when they are as epic as these. Is that recorded on the Bosch Nyon or do you have something else?

My other hobby is Paramotoring and I have a Flymaster unit that records the track, speed, climb rate etc etc, but I have never used the files it saves to view anything back, it would be fun to see it play back in Doarama.:)

Three downs in that one :LOL:

E

EddieJ

Paramotoring, you jammy sod! Something that I always wanted to try. I'm very envious of that one. :)

The rides were just on Strava, but I do use Veloviewr which adds a really interesting dimension to this, especially when you start to look at watts etc.
VeloViewer

The Doarama of the above ride, seems to be playing a game of catch up at the moment. I'm not sure how this one will work out, as we stopped for several chats, food, and drinks.

Login - Doarama

edit.. It looks to have kicked it out, I'll try again

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Paramotoring, you jammy sod! Something that I always wanted to try. I'm very envious of that one. :)

The rides were just on Strava, but I do use Veloviewr which adds a really interesting dimension to this, especially when you start to look at watts etc.
VeloViewer

The Doarama of the above ride, seems to be playing a game of catch up at the moment. I'm not sure how this one will work out, as we stopped for several chats, food, and drinks.

edit.. It looks to have kicked it out, I'll try again

That's my kind of ride, perfect I'll get the kettle on as I watch it back :D

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Oooh that looks straightforward enough and I'm pretty sure my flymaster save's each flight as an igc file. I will hav:)e a look at that

E

EddieJ

Strange what you suddenly remember. The 3.00min to 4.00min point I bonked out, and really didn't feel well. The mix of altitude, climb and lack of food up to that point, had me wiped right out. In truth, I very nearly had to quit the rest of the ride. Had the lad that was guiding me, not taken me to a food stop, I really don't think that I would have completed the ride. After food, he even suggested that we called it a day, but riding down the Lauberhorn has been on my bucket list, and I wasn't about to quit that one.

Lunch. Soup inside of bread. :)

u31.JPG

The guy that I was with.

z6.JPG

This was far worse than it looks.

u37.JPG

Me going down the Hundshopf. Not quite as much speed or air as the World cup downhill skiers. :)

Hundschopf .jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

E

EddieJ

I'd like to know what this app is. I'm intending to do this ride in July, which is actually on hiking trails so I'll have to tackle it either very early in the morning or late evening/night, but what a clear image.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Another day, another entry in the range thread.
Almost all Tour mode, but the occasional eMTB mode for some of the steeper climbs and Eco for the last couple of miles to get to the top of Swallowvallets for the downhill run.
IMG_2942.JPG

The elevation is wrong because the first 3 miles of the Freeminers Trail at flat apparently... I have no idea what’s going on there.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
14 miles today, playing around on the off-piste stuff at the FoD. Apparently used 40% and had 9 miles range remaining. How's that work then?

No Strava map because I left my phone at home... :oops:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Another update.

I decided to go out for a blast in Turbo, just to see what range I could actually get doing normal (for me) riding. The results were quite surprising; I started off with a bumble from the overflow car park to the cycle centre and then set off in full Trail Troll mode round the Blue. 8 miles and 888ft of climbing later and I’d apparently used 1 bar. Remaining range at this point was 16 miles.
IMG_3084.jpg

IMG_3079.JPG

Then I set off to do the same on the Full Red, inc extension. Not quite so uplifting, but I feel it’s a good result nonetheless as I was obviously tired after the first lap. Another 8 miles and 1000ft of climbing later and I was back at the car with 1 bar and 1 mile remaining.
IMG_3085.jpg

IMG_3083.JPG

I don’t really know what to make of this. I don’t do much more in any of the other modes, in fact I’ve actually done less in eMTB mode before.

sstevens057

Jun 8, 2018
Birmingham
Did over 23km the other day. All in turbo. Half that will be climbing quite steep terain. Got back to the car with one bar and one mile left.

Did a trip a few weeks ago, on a different trail, half way round the 2nd lap realised I had 5 miles range and 6-7 miles back! Straight onto eco mode. Went to 0 about 0.5 mile from the car. Ran out completely 200m from the car at the bottom of a hill. Hard work cycling with no assistance!
Screenshot_20180610-184645.jpeg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I ran out once, about a mile from the car. At the bottom of a valley...

You need to log your rides as eBike rides or you'll upset all the Straaaaaava queens.

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
For a ride length of less than 15 miles, 3,128ft of elevation gain is very respectable. :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles