The Bosch Maintenance Thread

E

EddieJ

Only joking. :) It seems like a very sensible thread starter. :)

I'll try and piece some details and photos together for it.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
What size are the crank bolts?

I went to fit my FSA Self Extracting Crank Bolts today and I've bought the wrong size... :confused:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
No problem.

If you look at the third photo down from the top, the sprocket has a guard, this has been removed from any of the other photos.

The guard if fitted, allows for a build up of mud, which can ultimately build up enough and make the chain slip. With one fitted there is also a greater chance of chain suck happening, again because of the build up of mud.

My crank puller arrived today so I thought I’d whip the chain guard off. Turns out the chain guard is also the drive sprocket lock nut...
luckily, I’d bought a lock nut from Ridewill just in case.
IMG_2855.JPG

@EddieJJ, does that look right to you?

I also noticed that one of my covers has come unstuck. Not overly impressed with that, it’s only held on with double sided tape!
IMG_2856.JPG

E

EddieJ

That looks like a fair bit of thread still left showing on the locking ring. Just popping out quickly to check mine, I have about 1mm of the locking ring thread showing. It could be just down to differing sprocket widths

It is hard to tell from the photo, but is there a second metal ring between the sprocket and the locking ring. If there is, and your bike is plus size, it should be on the inside of the sprocket, so that it maintains the chain line. Or at least that is how things are set up on my bike. :)

Ref the plastic cover, I'm afraid that is the norm. :(

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
That looks like a fair bit of thread still left showing on the locking ring.
Yes, there aren't many threads holding it on either. It's top hat shaped to clear the chain but it's not threaded down it's entire length. It doesn't fit the other way round.
is there a second metal ring between the sprocket and the locking ring. If there is, and your bike is plus size, it should be on the inside of the sprocket, so that it maintains the chain line.
Yes, there is.
Ref the plastic cover, I'm afraid that is the norm.
Poo. What's the best stuff to stick it back on with?

E

EddieJ

It was very long time ago that mine fell off. I have an idea that I might have used the thinnest smear possible of silicon.

My old cases used to have an additional and poorly designed cover around the sprocket. It was a constant battle to keep it in place, and in the end I just gave up and left it open. Not ideal, but I became fed up of rubbing on the chain.

I really love what KTM have done with the Fogo, and thee is no fuss or drama with ill fitting cases. The only stick on, is the CX badge on the motor casing. Hopefully it will stay there.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I opted to stay home today and do some maintenance, including checking the lube on the drive bearing. This is what I found;
IMG_2858.JPG

Bugger all lube on there and surface rust. Not impressed. Again.
Now greasier than a bad mechanic’s overalls. Just hope I’m not too late.

Last edited:

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I opted to stay home today and do some maintenance, including checking the lube on the drive bearing. This is what I found;
View attachment 375
Bugger all look be on there and surface rust. Not impressed. Again.
Now greasier than a bad mechanic’s overalls. Just hope I’m not too late.

Not sure if you have done it for greasing purposes but it looks like an o-ring is out of place in your photo. Between crank and drive hub.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
FFS! :mad:

No, that wasn't me and I didn't notice. Looks like the crank is coming off again.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
OK, crank pulled and whatever that was is gone... :unsure:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I agree, but I've had a good look and it's not there now. It's possible that refitting the crank pushed it back into place.

E

EddieJ

The little rubber O ring belongs here.

Capture.JPG

After you have installed the seal, the metal ring to compensate for plus size goes on next, then the sprocket, then the rubber O ring, and then finally the locking ring. Very odd how it has ended up where it has.

The lack of grease isn't a promising sign. :(

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Yes, there is a thin o-ring that goes between the sprocket and the lock ring.

Incidentally, my drive sprocket is top-hat shaped and doesn't have the spacer ring.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Shaft seal? Do you mean the plastic ring like this;
51ZgI2T9AJL._SY524_.jpg

If so, it was removed so I could check the state of the bearing.

Marcus 8

Jan 7, 2019
Versailles
Hello, I would just like to add a comment on the subject of the VELOLAB protection ring for Bosch motor.
I use it from the beginning that I have my MOUSTACHE Race 8, first of all the ring can present a huge advantage compared to the risks of deterioration of the bearing.
Very easy to install in less than 15 minutes.
After about 800 Km of use I already removed twice this ring of protection to check if everything was OK. And, nothing to report, the ring does its job and no entry of moisture or dust is noteworthy.
So for the moment it works perfectly and it's doing the job.

I had an issue on my Haibike, the bearing was not in a good state after 2000 KM due to driving in mud condition. I suppose that when the sprocket turn, the chain bring mud which is pushed front of the bearing and after a certain time some humidity pass the join and go in. Bosch took it in guaranty and the motor was changed for free in less than a week. It was great but I prefere to avoid this kind of issue again...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles