The $45 Turbo Levo Hardwired Headlight Thread

PsiLoCybia

Oct 22, 2019
Ely
I’ve tested the splitter and it works with two lights however I’m really struggling to run the cables inside the bike. @rsilvers any tips please? Someone on another thread suggested loosening the front motorbolt.
I've literally just installed my cable. Here is how I did it (on a kenevo but should be same)

1. Remove Non-drive crank arm
  2. Remove Motor cover
  3. Remove shock
  4. Loosen off cable holders
  5. Use a piece of brake/gear cable to feed down from shock area into motor area
    1. I used a little pick to pull the cable out from above the motor
  6. Tape motor connector to brake cable and pull from shock through into motor area
  7. connect to motor
  8. Unscrew the holder bit near head tube that the cables go into.
  9. Feed brake wire up from shock area and use pick to pull out hole near headtube
  10. tape lighting cable to brake cable and pull through (required moving other cables around)
Just need to solder the cables up now and test :)

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I've literally just installed my cable. Here is how I did it (on a kenevo but should be same)

2. Remove Motor cover
  3. Remove shock
  6. Tape motor connector to brake cable and pull from shock through into motor area
  7. connect to motor
  9. Feed brake wire up from shock area and use pick to pull out hole near headtube
  10. tape lighting cable to brake cable and pull through (required moving other cables around)
I managed it with an old gear cable and a lot of swearing :) I'm assuming that wasn't a carbon 2019 as you can't get access from the shock area on the carbon.

PsiLoCybia

Oct 22, 2019
Ely
@rsilvers Thanks for the write up. Got mine setup yesterday and took it out for the first time tonight. It's a great setup, especially as it cost me just over £50 all in!
20191204_175533.jpg
20191204_175250.jpg
20191204_175203.jpg
20191204_135152.jpg

Swan

Oct 19, 2019
North Idaho, US
Have we all determined that the amazon lights posted were the best options? I have my wife and my Levos that I'd like to put lights on. And if we end up liking the setup, I have 3 or 4 customers that would like lights as well.. I know the lupine is always an option.. But if we can figure out 50-100 options. That would be way cooler than spending 300+ for the lupine..

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Have we all determined that the amazon lights posted were the best options? I have my wife and my Levos that I'd like to put lights on. And if we end up liking the setup, I have 3 or 4 customers that would like lights as well.. I know the lupine is always an option.. But if we can figure out 50-100 options. That would be way cooler than spending 300+ for the lupine..
I went Lupine and I'm thrilled with it.

Swan

Oct 19, 2019
North Idaho, US
I went Lupine and I'm thrilled with it.

It does look super clean and well done.. But there are 2 of us couples that bought bikes for ourselves and our wives... I know finances are not a big deal for one of us, but 600 for 2 lights is a pretty big chunk when the alternatives are 100..

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
It does look super clean and well done.. But there are 2 of us couples that bought bikes for ourselves and our wives... I know finances are not a big deal for one of us, but 600 for 2 lights is a pretty big chunk when the alternatives are 100..

no doubt, I only had to buy one.... I will also admit that I was concerned about warranty issues...

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware

lupine.jpg

lupine2.jpg

PsiLoCybia

Oct 22, 2019
Ely

Having been out for a couple rides I am happy with the setup, however I have had the motor fault a couple times during a ride with both lights on the highest setting. Switching off and back on resolved, so am assuming that the amp draw spiked higher than allowed, with lights not in highest setting have not experienced this nor when lights disconnected.

I haven't seen anyone else report this, but we know the current draw is on the limit of acceptable, and guess there could be variance between the units. I tend now to run one in higher setting and one in mid as that provides plenty of light for me anyway.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware

2. Remove Motor cover
  3. Remove shock
  7. connect to motor

I did all that but was still having trouble, if you run into the same, try loosening the top motor mount bolt.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Tempted to try this, but routing of the cable looks a bit harder on the carbon frames :confused:
I'll need a new torque wrench too for the crank arm(s) :unsure:

AP123

Jul 31, 2020
Los Angeles
Resurrecting this old thread.

I bought the light on Amazon and the cable from Lupine.

Does anyone have a link to a connector so that I can keep the battery intact? In a perfect world, it would screw on to keep water out.
Also the Y connector link goes to a missing item page. Would this one work?

Are there any other issues that have crept up with some use with this setup?

Thanks

Techno

Oct 18, 2020
dartford
i hear that the light outputs are voltage configurable at the dealer. Ive cheated though and used a chilli technology single headlight and battery battery pack. tbh i only use it level one on the road at night, level three sets fire to trees, it burns out retinas of car drivers.

Techno

Oct 18, 2020
dartford
As a by the by, do you know what the light output voltage is on a bosch cx 2020? i heard they were voltage switchable? i guess it achieves this thru PWM? the reason i ask is i want to know how clean the power supply is as i want to run a garmin montana from it.

AP123

Jul 31, 2020
Los Angeles
hijack bump:

Does anyone have a link to a connector so that I can keep the battery intact? In a perfect world, it would screw on to keep water out.

Also the Y connector link goes to a missing item page. Would this one work?

Are there any other issues that have crept up with some use with this setup?

joliver

Oct 19, 2020
Barcelone (Spain)
This info is for the original light plug at the Brose Motor, without cutting any cables:

MY 19 2.1 Mag S Motor, 12V supply, 24W, 2A maximum

MY 18 1.3 Motor (FSR only) 6V supply, 2A maximum

MY 17/18 1.2 Motor, 6V supply, 1A maximum
MY 16 1.1 Motor, 6V supply, 1A maximum

As in some cases it is insufficient, especially in 1.1 and 1.2 engines, that is why they use the technique of connecting directly to the 36v engine line.

More info here:

tpbftw

Nov 26, 2019
New Zealand
How is everyones $45 setup holding up?

I fitted the same amazon light setup a while ago, used it only a couple times, always on full brightness. Has worked great, until the other night. Its cold here, winter time, and a bit wet. Went for a 30 minute ride up local mtb park in a bit of mud, some small puddles. It wasn't raining at the time. On the way home, cruising about 40kph (levoicraptor unrestricted) the light cut out and red blue flashing lights on TCU.

Today I washed the bike, pulled left crank off and motor cover and had a look. All looks pretty dry, small amount of mud. Mines a 2019 Levo, purchased mid 2020. There is motofoam in the case helping keep mud out, and the power cables all look fine. No corrosion.

I havent pulled out the TCU yet, but it didnt get wet up top, it wasnt raining.

So I am wondering if it was more a fault with the single light drawing too much with the motor under constant load at 44kph.

Anyone else had issues?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles