Article Testing the new Shimano EP8 motor

HeatproofGenie

Jul 23, 2018
CO, USA
As for the test on range, do one in Boost and one in Trail. Again people don't ride an entire ride in boost unless they are short on time, going to do a short ride only or have some much battery capacity it doesn't matter. As for the latter that's not the case with any 504wh Shimano system so what I'd like to see is if in a real world ride the increased battery capacity and reduced drag of the EP8 and 630wh battery lead to significantly greater range and vertical climbed.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I've got the bosch motor and the rattle is such a non issue, I cant believe the fuss being made about it. yes you can hear it, but its not intrusive at all, especially with all the other noises that are going on when you're flying down a rocky descent.

The Shimano rattle is more pronounced on the flat and is more of an annoyance. I could live with the Bosch rattle, not so much the Shimano.

However, some may not feel it too bad.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
The Shimano rattle is more pronounced on the flat and is more of an annoyance. I could live with the Bosch rattle, not so much the Shimano.

However, some may not feel it too bad.
Yeah fair enough, if the ep8 rattle is loads worse/louder/constant than the bosch then I can see it being a problem.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Not true. Bike manufactures already had it. They didn’t start back tracking until the customer started freaking out about the loud rattle. Commencal was locked and loaded to start shipping out bikes in a few weeks, now who knows how long it will take.
Its really too bad. I wish it wasnt true. I like a lot about shimano parts over the years and commencals new bikes are pretty amazing and at the forefront for geo. Hope they get it together

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
I'm very surprised if Shimano, during testing didn't pick up on the clunking. It's a bit obvious from the GoPro footage.

Wonder if it's another issue ?

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Have you ever ridden alongside the Bosch, its a constant chain slap type of sound as soon as you back off and annoys me even though I'm not riding the bike, its his second engine and much worse than the first before it failed, he's reluctant to back it as its the second engine but if were mine it would have gone back long ago.

Now if the Shimano is even louder then that says a lot, not for me I'm afraid.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
So an update:

Ridden another brand today with the EP8 (brief ride). Has the exact same clattering noise BUT not quite as pronounced as the Merida.

I also did the drop test of the back tyre on the floor on another 3 brands bikes and the noise is replicated on all of them.

BUT interestingly, out of the 13 test riders here I’ve not heard anyone mention the noise on their own test bikes after they’ve finished their first ride.

Im also not going to mention it at all to anyone over the next couple of days (I don’t want to lead anyone to hear it) . I’ll let you know if anyone else notices it.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Just wanted to add to the above - it’s not some lame flex that I have some superior testing procedure to anyone else. I am maybe just more susceptible to noises than some other folks.

I remember the first ride on the Bosch Gen4 last year. I heard it in immediately on a downhill trail section. My fellow bike Mag tester friend heard nothing. We all have different tolerances to these noises.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
So an update:

Ridden another brand today with the EP8 (brief ride). Has the exact same clattering noise BUT not quite as pronounced as the Merida.

I also did the drop test of the back tyre on the floor on another 3 brands bikes and the noise is replicated on all of them.

BUT interestingly, out of the 13 test riders here I’ve not heard anyone mention the noise on their own test bikes after they’ve finished their first ride.

Im also not going to mention it at all to anyone over the next couple of days (I don’t want to lead anyone to hear it) . I’ll let you know if anyone else notices it.
If that is the case it seems unlikely the rattle alone is the cause of the recall; it also explains why Shimano got to this stage without it being flagged as a "no-go". The videos certainly make it sound worse than the Bosch, but I know the mic pickup can be unrepresentative. The plot thickens...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Personally on the Bosch bikes I have ridden the rattle doesn't bother me, in fact unless I deliberately listed for it, then it just blends in with the rest of the noises going on.

However if you spent a lot of time on an original Levo then any of the new motors is going to sound loud.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Personally on the Bosch bikes I have ridden the rattle doesn't bother me, in fact unless I deliberately listed for it, then it just blends in with the rest of the noises going on.

However if you spent a lot of time on an original Levo then any of the new motors is going to sound loud.

Yep the noise from the bosch on my orbea is a total non issue,

I don't think we should listen to noises on a video and decide its a problem, the mic picks some noises up easier than others, and ends up making certain frequencies louder than others. You need to ride the bike and decide for yourself whether it's an issue to your ears.

remosito

Aug 25, 2020
switzerland
No matter how Shimano initially responded to the noise issue... compromise is a compromise. It only takes one really bad "feature" to derail a product, no matter how many good "features" the new product has. Judging from the real-world reactions so far I've seen from us paying customers, the fact that the new motor has this noise is already a problem.

"I really like a noisy bike!" ... said no one ever LOL

and if they'd left the drag in the ones which are now happy because less drag would be howling....

I really like this bike with crazy ass drag...said no one ever LOL

you can't please everybody.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My hearing is OK, functional, but nowhere near as good as it used to be. When my grandson is in front of me he can hear bikes behind me when I hear nothing. So I may be OK with the Bosch and maybe OK with the EP8, I am certainly OK with the e8000!

But I do know that my hearing difficulty is frequency based, ie. mostly my hearing is OK, but certain frequencies are significantly down. For example, my wife is convinced I don't listen to her, but in fact it that I just don't hear her!

remosito

Aug 25, 2020
switzerland
My hearing is OK, functional, but nowhere near as good as it used to be. When my grandson is in front of me he can hear bikes behind me when I hear nothing. So I may be OK with the Bosch and maybe OK with the EP8, I am certainly OK with the e8000!

But I do know that my hearing difficulty is frequency based, ie. mostly my hearing is OK, but certain frequencies are significantly down. For example, my wife is convinced I don't listen to her, but in fact it that I just don't hear her!

Age does have it's upsides :)

Mine ain't what it used to be either. Worst though is trying to follow conversations in very noisy environments with lots of other people talking though.... Hearing motor noises less is quite the boon though...

Always make an extra ruckus if hikers I am about to overtake look like they are "not quite 20 anymore"... Not only are chances they ain't hearing me higher. They seem to get bigger frights too when surprised...

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
and if they'd left the drag in the ones which are now happy because less drag would be howling....

I really like this bike with crazy ass drag...said no one ever LOL

you can't please everybody.

Well, it's no secret that E-8000 has drag. If the new EP8 had the same or less drag, IMO that would be fine. But the E-8000 does not randomly clunk like it's broken, yet from what we've seen so far the new EP8 apparently does. IMO That's not fine - otherwise, none of us would be discussing it right now. This is supposed to be a "new and improved" motor, and by the numbers it is - but with the added caveat of some new noise that the user has no control over (unlike say, being able to reduce chain slap with a chainstay protector or eliminating cable housing tapping with some zip ties).

Sure this clunk might not bother some people, that's perfectly fine. But it doesn't erase the fact that it's there, and comparing it to Bosch is irrelevant. Either way, hopefully Shimano gets it sorted out.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Official statement from Shimano on motor delay:

800C2D67-C77B-4019-A220-3445E4A6C296.jpeg

remosito

Aug 25, 2020
switzerland
Well, it's no secret that E-8000 has drag. If the new EP8 had the same or less drag, IMO that would be fine. But the E-8000 does not randomly clunk like it's broken, yet from what we've seen so far the new EP8 apparently does. IMO That's not fine - otherwise, none of us would be discussing it right now. This is supposed to be a "new and improved" motor, and by the numbers it is - but with the added caveat of some new noise that the user has no control over (unlike say, being able to reduce chain slap with a chainstay protector or eliminating cable housing tapping with some zip ties).

Sure this clunk might not bother some people, that's perfectly fine. But it doesn't erase the fact that it's there, and comparing it to Bosch is irrelevant. Either way, hopefully Shimano gets it sorted out.

You do know the EP8 has much reduced drag and that's most likely the reason for the clunking? And is the "compromise" Shimano has been saying they had to make.

So it still is a new and improved motor. Especially for folks who care more about drag and efficiency.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
You do know the EP8 has much reduced drag and that's most likely the reason for the clunking? And is the "compromise" Shimano has been saying they had to make.

So it still is a new and improved motor. Especially for folks who care more about drag and efficiency.

Yes I do - re-read my comment.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
take the chain off an E8000 and spin the cranks forwards with the motor switched off. you'll find motor the drag is actually already minimal.

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
Welp just got in from a ride on my e8000 equipped BMC and man o man what a brilliant motor after all these hard miles. Trail mode is just brilliant, intuitive, seamless.❤️

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles