Terrible doubt for a newbie

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I will let you know ;) better than a soap opera.
I only wonder if maybe, as I am a former race bycicle user, and with all the mental patterns of an asphalt guy, going for the very cheap front MTB Lapierre wouldn't be a good choice. Yesterday I tried for some minutes the Focus, it was incredible with the new Bosch Engine 4th Generation. Absolutely no resistence in pedaling, but I was enough stupid to not consider the eventual troubles in pedaling with rear suspension :cry:

As you've mentioned, the HardTail bikes are at least €1000-€2000 euro's cheaper - which is a huge advantage !!

I went with two hard tails first to see what I liked and they were cheaper. If I'd bought a Full Suspension bike first, it probably wouldn't have been a good one. The big difference here is that you've picked two great bikes as possible bikes to start with.

You might find they fit for 95% of the riding you plan to do, so is the FS really necessary .... ????

I don't ride any trails on my Kenevo which I didn't ride on my Hardtail. I'm just considerably faster and a lot safer (crash less !).

Will any of the shops let you borrow any of the bikes, or is there anywhere near to possibly rent one for a day, so you could see how you find the Hard Tail and the Full Suspension fit for your riding ?

Carlito72

Feb 24, 2020
Bologna
As you've mentioned, the HardTail bikes are at least €1000-€2000 euro's cheaper - which is a huge advantage !!
Will any of the shops let you borrow any of the bikes, or is there anywhere near to possibly rent one for a day, so you could see how you find the Hard Tail and the Full Suspension fit for your riding ?

Regarding The Radon bike : Just beautiful ( I always prefer darker colours btw)
Regarding the Front Vs. Full suspension. I will try to use again a full suspension, yesterday i was so amazed from the Bosch motor I didn't check eventual troubles in pedaling with a full suspension o_Oo_Oo_O

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I will let you know ;) better than a soap opera.
I only wonder if maybe, as I am a former race bycicle user, and with all the mental patterns of an asphalt guy, going for the very cheap front MTB Lapierre wouldn't be a good choice. Yesterday I tried for some minutes the Focus, it was incredible with the new Bosch Engine 4th Generation. Absolutely no resistence in pedaling, but I was enough stupid to not consider the eventual troubles in pedaling with rear suspension :cry:

The rear suspension on my Focus Jam² cannot be locked out. The adjustment is from a very pictorial tortoise to a very pictorial hare. At first this bugged me greatly, because I've always been used to being able to lock out front and rear suspension. But the suspension works so well when pedalling that you get hardly any suspension movement from the rear. That's why you probably didn't consider it in your test ride: you didn't notice it!

I ride a lot in mixed groups, which take no prisoners on the flat or mild rises. I have no problems keeping up at 35-40kph in the pack - and I do my turn on the front too.

The rear triangle does not bob noticably - the front fork does, but that can be locked down reasonably well.

I wanted the Bosch Gen 4 motor specifically for the lack of resistance when pedalling at over 25kph. It's a joy - and one of the reasons for the battery range I've been getting.

At first I did wonder why on earth I needed a 10 tooth cog because, well, who on earth rides at 40kph. I've since found I use it quite a bit. Both bikes are very similar. You can't go wrong.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Pop up to Torbole. There you can rent the cubes from Carpentari (don't know if they have the new bikes yet, but probably). And I have seen a lot of focus bikes for rent too. Definitely in Arco at SottoSopra, but probably at other places too. You would have to check they are open and have the bike you want, but it might be worth driving the 2 hours up there to try them out before you buy.

Carlito72

Feb 24, 2020
Bologna
Pop up to Torbole. There you can rent the cubes from Carpentari (don't know if they have the new bikes yet, but probably). And I have seen a lot of focus bikes for rent too. Definitely in Arco at SottoSopra, but probably at other places too. You would have to check they are open and have the bike you want, but it might be worth driving the 2 hours up there to try them out before you buy.

Yep, just two hours from my home (and amazing place). Thanks for the hint!

Martinintirol

Feb 27, 2020
Zillertal, Tirol, Austria
Had a similar dilemma to you, ht or fs?? Cost is obviously a big factor. I think that ideally you should rent/free test ride if possible a couple of each. That way you can ride on terrain of intended use. I did this and no doubt the fs for me was the way to go. It's a big expenditure so you want to get it right first time. The ht bike on my terrain (Alps, so lots of fire/forest roads with gravel, hard and uneven with stones and rocks) was nightmarish even with 2.8 tyres. On the other hand, 29er with 2.2 tyres and 120mm fs was great. Good on asphalt too!!

Carlito72

Feb 24, 2020
Bologna
Had a similar dilemma to you, ht or fs?? Cost is obviously a big factor. I think that ideally you should rent/free test ride if possible a couple of each. That way you can ride on terrain of intended use. I did this and no doubt the fs for me was the way to go. It's a big expenditure so you want to get it right first time. The ht bike on my terrain (Alps, so lots of fire/forest roads with gravel, hard and uneven with stones and rocks) was nightmarish even with 2.8 tyres. On the other hand, 29er with 2.2 tyres and 120mm fs was great. Good on asphalt too!!

There are a lot of factors to consider, but the key factor is the cost. On my estimate is around 1500 Eur more at least. The second most important factor is the kind of terrain. The third is how much you will use your bike. So, according to point 2 and 3 in my case (2 mostly asphalt, 3 only in spring/Summer/autumn) in my personal case maybe an Ht would be good as well. I was oriented indeed anyway on a full since corona virus literally disintegrated my business (movies, model Agency, trade fairs event). It will be the worst economic year of my life, so probably i will switch to the HT

Martinintirol

Feb 27, 2020
There are a lot of factors to consider, but the key factor is the cost. On my estimate is around 1500 Eur more at least. The second most important factor is the kind of terrain. The third is how much you will use your bike. So, according to point 2 and 3 in my case (2 mostly asphalt, 3 only in spring/Summer/autumn) in my personal case maybe an Ht would be good as well. I was oriented indeed anyway on a full since corona virus literally disintegrated my business (movies, model Agency, trade fairs event). It will be the worst economic year of my life, so probably i will switch to the HT
Sorry to read that. Similar here, own a pension no more than 20km from the Italian border. We will get to the end of winter season just about okay, but summer could be a frightening prospect ...
In the meantime, I shall have plenty of free time to enjoy the mountains. My background is road riding (from the south in the UK originally). So I still have my road bikes to use for asphalt. Most mtb's are pigs on the road anyway so my emtb choice was based on accessing areas that my 'normal ' bikes and body cannot. At 57, reaching the mountain tops on my normal fully became a less than pleasant challenge every new season.
And that, I discovered, is where I want to be. Traffic free and enjoying the nature and the solitude. Where I am (at 1200hm) there is only up or down.
4 months of the year is winter and skiing season so unless you can get to the valleys there is no road riding. I use my other bikes for this terrain anyway.
So, when I had gone through identifying what exactly I was going to primarily do with this huge investment it became clear to me what I needed.
Just one thing that is important and became strikingly apparent to me in my research. Dont get too hung up on equipment apart from brakes (and fit of course!). These really are the most important thing given the weight of these machines. To me, this is a no brainer. I have had to spend on an upgrade at purchase (the cheapest way) to ensure satisfaction on my type of riding terrain.
I am sure that whatever you choose you will have a fantastic time.
Best of luck in getting your perfect emtb!

Carlito72

Feb 24, 2020
Bologna
Sorry to read that. Similar here, own a pension no more than 20km from the Italian border. We will get to the end of winter season just about okay, but summer could be a frightening prospect ...
In the meantime, I shall have plenty of free time to enjoy the mountains. My background is road riding (from the south in the UK originally). So I still have my road bikes to use for asphalt. Most mtb's are pigs on the road anyway so my emtb choice was based on accessing areas that my 'normal ' bikes and body cannot. At 57, reaching the mountain tops on my normal fully became a less than pleasant challenge every new season.
And that, I discovered, is where I want to be. Traffic free and enjoying the nature and the solitude. Where I am (at 1200hm) there is only up or down.
4 months of the year is winter and skiing season so unless you can get to the valleys there is no road riding. I use my other bikes for this terrain anyway.
So, when I had gone through identifying what exactly I was going to primarily do with this huge investment it became clear to me what I needed.
Just one thing that is important and became strikingly apparent to me in my research. Dont get too hung up on equipment apart from brakes (and fit of course!). These really are the most important thing given the weight of these machines. To me, this is a no brainer. I have had to spend on an upgrade at purchase (the cheapest way) to ensure satisfaction on my type of riding terrain.
I am sure that whatever you choose you will have a fantastic time.
Best of luck in getting your perfect emtb!

you live in a wonderful Area! And for your specific Area, A Full Suspended is almost the only good choice :). Thanks again!

Carlito72

Feb 24, 2020
Bologna
Just a final advice. Since I am a complete idiot regarding technical stuffs, in case of a FS choice, Would I have to check / fix / set often suspensions or so or I am cool?
thanks!

Martinintirol

Feb 27, 2020
Just a final advice. Since I am a complete idiot regarding technical stuffs, in case of a FS choice, Would I have to check / fix / set often suspensions or so or I am cool?
thanks!
For myself I dont think it is a problem. The bike shop can get the ideal settings for you set up at the shop. They can give you the front and rear pressure required and a very simple pump with a pressure gauge for you to periodically check it with. Then its a matter of personal preference if you are searching for a specific feel - more or less air pumped in or let out... You can twiddle with the bump reaction times too. But its all very individual and subjective.

I think its quite simple, but from reading the threads here I can see a lot of people scientifically searching for something in particular in terms of ride characteristics and set up. Incredibly, I see a lot of fork/rear shock upgrades on newly purchased bikes being heavily invested in.

Thats not for me and I think other members may have better insights on that than me.
But in summary, I use it for touring comfort to take the edge off the trail and I am not searching for big air or extreme 'off piste' riding conditions.
When riding on the road I switch off or compress the suspension as much as possible to eliminate bob. But to be honest, as an ex road rider, your pedalling stroke should be smooth enough to reduce any noticable interference. High cadence and use of the gears is anyway a better way to ride a bike of any type reducing fatigue on you and your expensive equipment.

Give it a try, its simpler than you think!

Carlito72

Feb 24, 2020
Bologna
For myself I dont think it is a problem. The bike shop can get the ideal settings for you set up at the shop. They can give you the front and rear pressure required and a very simple pump with a pressure gauge for you to periodically check it with. Then its a matter of personal preference if you are searching for a specific feel - more or less air pumped in or let out... You can twiddle with the bump reaction times too. But its all very individual and subjective.

Ok so once the pressure is set it will be "there to stay" ;)? I mean, I just need to go to the bike shop once every two months to check if suspension pressure is fine?
I can take care of the wheels so, it's all a matter of suspensions, but i think I can manage it ;)
Thanks!

Carlito72

Feb 24, 2020
Bologna
Hi guys, just wanted to follow up with my final decision, out of respect for your help!
Since coronavirus REALLY affected my business (models, trade fairs, events, movies as director), I decided for a Front (Lapierre Hovervolt 7.5). It will be ok for this year. If I will like it i will go for a full, and keep the front for some female or male friends. I noticed also that is REALLY expansive to buy the hook for the car (mercedes cla) and a strong (thule or similar) rack for ebikes.

Note: Corona Virus: Italy was the only country (as we are children, not adults) to go in panic and do a lot of tests. The result was that, obviously, many are affected, as it is everywhere in All Europe. But we are absolutely not in a "crazy" situation, Restaurants are opened, hotels the same, but there is a really deep crisis in tourism and events. Situation is spreading, my opinion (BUT I AM NOT A DOCTOR) is that we are dealing with something important, but not so important to make a continent collapse. I still didn't heard about death tolls under 75 yrs old, already ill.
Ciao!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
thanks!
You must buy a shock pump. These are low-volume high-pressure hand pumps that are used to set the pressure in your suspension. They are not the same as a pump you use to pump up your tyres (high-volume, low-pressure). They are an essential piece of kit for anyone with air-spring suspension. The shop may set up your suspension for you, but I can guarantee that you will prefer different settings after a while. You can experiment on the trail and find the ideal setting for yourself and the riding you do. The pump should last for life; I've had mine for 12 years and it still works as well as it did when new. But the pressure in the suspension will reduce with time and it will change with the temperature! So you will need to check it at least once per month and maybe reset it at different times of the year. You must buy a shock pump! :)

To get the best out of your bike, you need to find the ideal suspension setting that gets the best out of the suspension you have. This guide to setting your suspension is very good indeed and will tell you all you need to know.
https://bikerumor.com/2014/10/30/bikerumor-suspension-setup-series-full-series-pdf-free-download/

By the way, as others have said, you can't lock out the fork or shock (despite them sometimes having a "lockout" setting). All you can do is to increase the low speed compression damping to reduce bobbing. But technique can do a lot to help that as can some suspension designs. It is not something that bothers me, at all.

PS: Someone earlier referred to the hare and the tortoise on the suspension. That appears on Rockshox suspension and refers to fast or slow REBOUND damping. That is very different to COMPRESSION damping. Even budget suspension will have adjustable rebound damping; but you have to pay a bit more to get adjustable compression damping. If you don't have adjustable compression damping, the suspension component will have it preset at the factory.

PPS: Don't get hung up on not being able to "lockout" the shock or the fork. Some slight suspension movement will bother you a lot less than those big fat low pressure tyres (and the heavy bike of course). I never use my stiffer setting on the suspension. I used to do so, but every single time, when I got to the top of the hill I forgot to reset the suspension. Careering down a rocky descent with stiff suspension is not pleasant! Much easier to leave it untouched.

Carlito72

Feb 24, 2020
Bologna

I think its quite simple, but from reading the threads here I can see a lot of people scientifically searching for something in particular in terms of ride characteristics and set up. Incredibly, I see a lot of fork/rear shock upgrades on newly purchased bikes being heavily invested in.

Thats not for me and I think other members may have better insights on that than me.
But in summary, I use it for touring comfort to take the edge off the trail and I am not searching for big air or extreme 'off piste' riding conditions.
When riding on the road I switch off or compress the suspension as much as possible to eliminate bob. But to be honest, as an ex road rider, your pedalling stroke should be smooth enough to reduce any noticable interference. High cadence and use of the gears is anyway a better way to ride a bike of any type reducing fatigue on you and your expensive equipment.

thank you so much Martin! such great advices. I wull follow all of them!

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
PPS: Don't get hung up on not being able to "lockout" the shock or the fork. Some slight suspension movement will bother you a lot less than those big fat low pressure tyres (and the heavy bike of course). I never use my stiffer setting on the suspension. I used to do so, but every single time, when I got to the top of the hill I forgot to reset the suspension. Careering down a rocky descent with stiff suspension is not pleasant! Much easier to leave it untouched.

Oh that is soooooo true!

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Hi Everybody, and thanks again for accepting me.
I am a newbie, I am going to buy my first ebike. Since it's my first, I will probably go for a Front, due the fact that I live close to hills, not mountains, and I prefer long rides with asphalt as well.

I don't know which bike to choose between this:
1. OVERVOLT HT 7.5 | Lapierre Shop
2. CUBE Reaction Hybrid Pro 500 iridium´n´black 2020
You are much more experts than me, probably you easily will know which to choose. I tried the LAPIERRE and my feelings are:

1. really low resistance in pedaling (yamaha pw-st engine)
2. good autonomy (but after 40 km, most of them on asphalt, 1000 mts altitude is better to get back home) 3

I probably should spend more and skip straight to a full (since northern Italy has great trials in the alps) but in the same time I don't often go there, so maybe, for a starting, also for price reasons, a front is maybe better. You can tell better than me also on this topic. Thanks to everybody in advance for whom will answer!
Matteo
Hi Carlito
I had a similar choice last August. I got the first 2020 Cube Reaction Pro 500 that you have been looking at.

It was my first eBike. I have had previous off road experience with motor bike trials but never with an MTB e or not.

Overall I am very pleased with it. On smoothish trails there would be no problem. I did try a Cube race FS with the 2019 motor and buying mine and found it very different. The power seemed to come in more jerkily and not as smooth.I much prefered my Cube hardtail.

The Bosch gen 4 motor is a massive improvement, and smaller and lighter.
If you are doing much off road I think you need to change the front forks.The standard Suntours are a bit boingy and some decent adjustable Rockshoxs make a big difference.

I also found the handle bars too narrow.
The pedals not very grippy.
I have fitted tubeless as I have a number of punctures quite easy on (none since!).
I also fitted a dropper post.

I will probably upgrade to a full suspension this year but the Cube has given me a good insight into what I do, and don't, like and what to look for in the next one.

Hope this helps.

Carlito72

Feb 24, 2020
Bologna
Hi Carlito
I had a similar choice last August. I got the first 2020 Cube Reaction Pro 500 that you have been looking at.

It was my first eBike. I have had previous off road experience with motor bike trials but never with an MTB e or not.

Overall I am very pleased with it. On smoothish trails there would be no problem. I did try a Cube race FS with the 2019 motor and buying mine and found it very different. The power seemed to come in more jerkily and not as smooth.I much prefered my Cube hardtail.

The Bosch gen 4 motor is a massive improvement, and smaller and lighter.
If you are doing much off road I think you need to change the front forks.The standard Suntours are a bit boingy and some decent adjustable Rockshoxs make a big difference.

I also found the handle bars too narrow.
The pedals not very grippy.
I have fitted tubeless as I have a number of punctures quite easy on (none since!).
I also fitted a dropper post.

I will probably upgrade to a full suspension this year but the Cube has given me a good insight into what I do, and don't, like and what to look for in the next one.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Giff, due to "coronavirus" economic crisis i went for a Lapierre Overvolt FS. If i will like it (i live in Bologna, lot of asphalt, even in the hills, before going offroad) I will go for sure on a Full suspended next year. Thanks!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles