Terrible doubt for a newbie

Carlito72

Feb 24, 2020
Bologna
Hi Everybody, and thanks again for accepting me.
I am a newbie, I am going to buy my first ebike. Since it's my first, I will probably go for a Front, due the fact that I live close to hills, not mountains, and I prefer long rides with asphalt as well.

I don't know which bike to choose between this:
1. OVERVOLT HT 7.5 | Lapierre Shop
2. CUBE Reaction Hybrid Pro 500 iridium´n´black 2020
You are much more experts than me, probably you easily will know which to choose. I tried the LAPIERRE and my feelings are:

1. really low resistance in pedaling (yamaha pw-st engine)
2. good autonomy (but after 40 km, most of them on asphalt, 1000 mts altitude is better to get back home) 3

I probably should spend more and skip straight to a full (since northern Italy has great trials in the alps) but in the same time I don't often go there, so maybe, for a starting, also for price reasons, a front is maybe better. You can tell better than me also on this topic. Thanks to everybody in advance for whom will answer!
Matteo

Carlito72

Feb 24, 2020
Bologna
There isn't as much relative efficiency loss from a full suspension emtb compared to a none emtb. The motor more than makes up for it.

So if full is an option .. maybe start looking there instead. I had two emtb hardtails last year before switching to a full suspension bike. After riding that, I really wished I'd bought it first :)

That's a great advice Zimmerframe, thank you so much. I guess Cube is an option then... New Bosch 4 Gen....625 Battery....fair prices....maybe i should look to this: CUBE Stereo Hybrid 120 Race 625 29 black´n´blue 2020

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Also nice. On the bright side, they're generally all good !

If you can actually ride or at least sit on the bikes that should also help you decide. You might find you just prefer the look and feel of one more than the other.

Carlito72

Feb 24, 2020
Bologna
Also nice. On the bright side, they're generally all good !

If you can actually ride or at least sit on the bikes that should also help you decide. You might find you just prefer the look and feel of one more than the other.

Absolutely! Due to my job (movies...art in general) i would NEVER buy something ugly. In this, The italian brand Bianchi is absolutely the best...but like many other things from my country, maybe other brands are less "beautiful" but more reliable :);) . Probably Fantic would be a good option, but they are pricey. I probably will stick to Cube. Thanks!

NGreen

Mar 15, 2019
Orange County, California
I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with any new eMtb. I agree that if a full suspension is in the budget then definitely go that route. With an ebike there’s no reason not to. My first eMtb was a Fantic and I loved it. Brose motor, good components, good looking bike. I don’t have much experience with different brands but what I’ve learned with choosing between different brands is buy whatever you like. what fits you best, you think looks the best, has the size battery you want, fits your riding style, etc..

When I was buying a new sport bike a few years back I spent soooo much time comparing all the different models. Then it occurred to me that all of them could out perform me and my skill level so it really didn’t matter which one. I ended up buying a Suzuki gsxr because I thought it looked the best (I couldn’t afford an Italian bike at the time). Loved it. I still can’t ride it to its limits or any of them for that matter ?

whatever you choose riding is way better than sitting at a computer trying to decide.??

good luck

Carlito72

Feb 24, 2020
Bologna
I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with any new eMtb. I agree that if a full suspension is in the budget then definitely go that route. With an ebike there’s no reason not to. My first eMtb was a Fantic and I loved it. Brose motor, good components, good looking bike. I don’t have much experience with different brands but what I’ve learned with choosing between different brands is buy whatever you like. what fits you best, you think looks the best, has the size battery you want, fits your riding style, etc..

When I was buying a new sport bike a few years back I spent soooo much time comparing all the different models. Then it occurred to me that all of them could out perform me and my skill level so it really didn’t matter which one. I ended up buying a Suzuki gsxr because I thought it looked the best (I couldn’t afford an Italian bike at the time). Loved it. I still can’t ride it to its limits or any of them for that matter ?

whatever you choose riding is way better than sitting at a computer trying to decide.??

good luck

Thank you so much Ngreen for your lovely answer, I indeed agree with you, as I am seeing there is not a huge difference between the models, it's just a matter of looks... (E.G. Cube looks more beautiful to me than Scott, Specialized and Bianchi are the best looking, but it's personal...)

I tried the "front" LAPIERRE OVERVOLT 7.5 as I was saying and i loved it. 1800 Eur and it's mine. To get a full i should add at least 1000 Eur at least. Since Bologna is not Selva di Val Gardena (which I suggest to everybody, incredible trials, gorgeous dolomites) I'm still tempted by a front as a first bike. I will let you know. Thanks so much to everybody!
Matteo

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I would also recommend a Fully over a hard tail.
I am a Cube Fan, and have just bought my second Cube e-Mtb. I got the 160 TM, But that is definitely overkill for starting out.
My wife also started off with a Treck hard tail, and we just upgraded to a fully for her. She doesn't hit the mountans but you just need dirt trails wth a few roots and rough bits to appreciate the extra comfort of a Full suspension bike over a hard tail.
She got the Sereo 140.
Very important when buying an EMTB is to try to get it locally. there is more that can go wrong on these things, so if you do have any problems, it is nice to be able to quickly go to your Local Bike Shop and talk to someone personally about any problems.
I do a lot of biking on Largo de Garda. Tons and tons of great trails up there, and not too far from Bologna.

Carlito72

Feb 24, 2020
Bologna
I would also recommend a Fully over a hard tail.
I am a Cube Fan, and have just bought my second Cube e-Mtb. I got the 160 TM, But that is definitely overkill for starting out.
My wife also started off with a Treck hard tail, and we just upgraded to a fully for her. She doesn't hit the mountans but you just need dirt trails wth a few roots and rough bits to appreciate the extra comfort of a Full suspension bike over a hard tail.
She got the Sereo 140.
Very important when buying an EMTB is to try to get it locally. there is more that can go wrong on these things, so if you do have any problems, it is nice to be able to quickly go to your Local Bike Shop and talk to someone personally about any problems.
I do a lot of biking on Largo de Garda. Tons and tons of great trails up there, and not too far from Bologna.

Thank you Akiwi! I will consider than maybe to start with a "low profile" with an hard trail. Yeah, Garda is gorgeous with safe trials as well on asphalt just next to the Lake from Riva del Garda. Amazing places!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Thanks for including the links ! Makes it far easier to compare them ..

Not easy !! You've blown your €1800 hardtail budget ! :)

So I think the most difficult part is that they're both amazing bikes. The specifications are so similar that I doubt the slight differences will make any difference to you for real world usage and both will be reasonably simple to maintain if you want to do some things yourself.

I think if it was me, I'd probably jump on the Cube - but purely because I think it's a really good looking bike and I know when I wasn't riding it, I'd be admiring it !

@GrahamPaul you went for a focus ... ??

Carlito72

Feb 24, 2020
Bologna
I think if it was me, I'd probably jump on the Cube - but purely because I think it's a really good looking bike and I know when I wasn't riding it, I'd be admiring it !

Thank you for answering. Of course every seller wants me to buy thiers, Focus one telling me "but you have shimano brakes with Focus" and Cube seller telling me "It's cheaper and really good looking".... maybe you could have find some differencies between them. For me is kinda of arabic ;) ;)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Well, they both have shimano brakes, so you won't have the noise in the wet you sometimes get with SRAM brakes. They're easier to work on as Shimano brakes don't use DOT brake fluid.

I think the cube has some SRAM gear parts, but that's not a bad thing. The SRAM chains seem to last slightly longer than the Shimano ones, but a lot of that will depend on how you ride and how quickly you get used to changing gear smoothly (it's slightly harder on an e-bike as the motor applies pressure)

The cube is carbon, the focus is aluminium. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

The weights are both virtually the same.

They have the same motor and battery.

The focus has the purion display and the cube has the kiox display, so you might want to look on youtube or read some reviews to see which display you prefer.

You're actually in a good position if you like both bikes, because you can then also decide which shop you prefer and seems the most professional. It also means you can negotiate with them for either a discount or some included items maybe ?

Reactions: MsO

Carlito72

Feb 24, 2020
Bologna
You're actually in a good position if you like both bikes, because you can then also decide which shop you prefer and seems the most professional. It also means you can negotiate with them for either a discount or some included items maybe ?

The Cube is at 3900.00 discounted (really far from home, in the Italian alps, they will send the bike for free) but like every mountain north italian people REALLY honest, friendly and professional
The Focus is in my Town, Bologna, approx at 4100.00.

Between the display, in my humble opinion Kiox is so much better, you can connect a phone, do many things that with purion are not included...

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The Cube is at 3900.00 discounted (really far from home, in the Italian alps, they will send the bike for free) but like every mountain north italian people REALLY honest, friendly and professional
The Focus is in my Town, Bologna, approx at 4100.00...........

That for me is the key decider for a first emtb. If you have any problems at all, the supplier is in your home town. That is worth an extra €200 all by itself!

Just think of the convenience! How quickly you can drop the bike off for them to work on it (whether it is a service or a warranty call). How close they are for advice on things that are troubling you, Like how do I synch my phone to the bike? simple things to get fixed at your local dealer become much more complicated when you have to send the bike away.

Go local!! :)

Carlito72

Feb 24, 2020
Bologna
That for me is the key decider for a first emtb. If you have any problems at all, the supplier is in your home town. That is worth an extra €200 all by itself!

Just think of the convenience! How quickly you can drop the bike off for them to work on it (whether it is a service or a warranty call). How close they are for advice on things that are troubling you, Like how do I synch my phone to the bike? simple things to get fixed at your local dealer become much more complicated when you have to send the bike away.

Go local!! :)

Hi Steve, yeah this is a huge factor...but still...Cube is also sooooo beautiful even if in the alps ;). I hoped someone would tell me "no brainer, Focus is better!" but it seems they are both good ;).

Carlito72

Feb 24, 2020
Bologna
The Focus has more battery (more range), more travel (more fun) and is generally just MORE. The rear suspension feels bottomless.

The battery should be 625 for both ;). Consider also that I am also an "asphalt guy" so suspension are important but not a key factor. As I heard you can block the rear suspension on a Focus manually, not sure about Cube.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía

Yup. I wanted the Cube, but couldn't get a delivery date before May 2020 (ordering in September 2019). Reasoned that the delivery date would go out even further so went with the Focus, which was supposed to be delivered in December 2019.

Such is life. (However, very happy with the Focus - and my missus loves her fully kitted touring version).

They are both great bikes. You will be happy with either one of them. Choose the one which looks best - but make sure that there is a local dealer that can handle it. (The LBS I bought my Focus from is also a Cube dealer, so that was an easy choice. And I went with the Purion display because I broke a Garmin mounted where the Kiox sits).

Last edited:

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I have had a Focus Jam2 (shimano model) and I have the new 2020 Cube. Both are great bikes.
The Kiox is pretty but it shouldn't be a make or break buying factor for you. The connection to your phone is purely for data analysis and doesn't work so well. You can't change anything on the motor with it. I actually found the puron easier to read and quicker to switch between the display modes. OTOH the Kiox displays more stuff like Cadence or Calories used.
The only REAL advantage of the Kiox display is through the colour you always see what motor mode you are in, and the USB connection to load your phone is very helpfull. (you need a special cable).
On my first eMTB I had huge problems with the motor / electronics, and in the first 4 months had it in for repairs 8 times. Eventually I gave it back. therefore I highly recommend getting a bike locally where you can quickly take it in if you have problems.
The one I had problems with was the Focus, but it was in the first batch where they made their own batteries, wirning etc. My one had a gremlin. I think the new bikes are much more reliable, and if it has the Bosch motor / Battery etc then it is a completely different bike from the electronics side.

Carlito72

Feb 24, 2020
Bologna
I have had a Focus Jam2 (shimano model) and I have the new 2020 Cube. Both are great bikes.
The Kiox is pretty but it shouldn't be a make or break buying factor for you. The connection to your phone is purely for data analysis and doesn't work so well. You can't change anything on the motor with it. I actually found the puron easier to read and quicker to switch between the display modes. OTOH the Kiox displays more stuff like Cadence or Calories used.
The only REAL advantage of the Kiox display is through the colour you always see what motor mode you are in, and the USB connection to load your phone is very helpfull. (you need a special cable).
On my first eMTB I had huge problems with the motor / electronics, and in the first 4 months had it in for repairs 8 times. Eventually I gave it back. therefore I highly recommend getting a bike locally where you can quickly take it in if you have problems.
The one I had problems with was the Focus, but it was in the first batch where they made their own batteries, wirning etc. My one had a gremlin. I think the new bikes are much more reliable, and if it has the Bosch motor / Battery etc then it is a completely different bike from the electronics side.

Hi Akiwi, thanks for the great answer. Still undecided between Focus and Cube, both great honestly ;) I think I will go for the one I can use more on asphalt, it seems (but maybe I am wrong) you can't block rear suspensions on Cube.

Reactions: MsO

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hi Akiwi, thanks for the great answer. Still undecided between Focus and Cube, both great honestly ;) I think I will go for the one I can use more on asphalt, it seems (but maybe I am wrong) you can't block rear suspensions on Cube.

Amazingly, I think both bikes have exactly the same rear shock "RockShox Deluxe Select".

Most modern shocks don't actually let you lock out, several have a function to set to "hard" - so it moves less.

I did a test a few months ago with mine (180mm kenevo). A 30km circular route with a mix of road, tracks and some muddy sections. First time with the shocks "open" Second time with the shocks set "hard/firm". The route time, section times and battery usage were all virtually identical. I just leave it open now no matter what I'm doing.

I was trying to beat a Tour De France road KOM on the kenevo a few weeks back. There was a 50kmh tail wind with the storms. I failed :) But even then I didn't bother locking the shock.

If you find yourself bobbing up and down too much, it's more something you can improve with changes to technique rather than hardware - but I suspect you won't even notice it on one of these bikes, the setup is really good these days.

It's going to be interesting to see which one you choose :)

Carlito72

Feb 24, 2020
Bologna
It's going to be interesting to see which one you choose :)

I will let you know ;) better than a soap opera.
I only wonder if maybe, as I am a former race bycicle user, and with all the mental patterns of an asphalt guy, going for the very cheap front MTB Lapierre wouldn't be a good choice. Yesterday I tried for some minutes the Focus, it was incredible with the new Bosch Engine 4th Generation. Absolutely no resistence in pedaling, but I was enough stupid to not consider the eventual troubles in pedaling with rear suspension :cry:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
And just so we've covered all the options .. and added as much confusion as possible :)

Ok, so you don't look after you've bought something and thought "I could have bought that".

There's the Radon Render. Similar price but better spec. Bike discounts own brand, but assembled by Cube : I still can't decide on the looks .

Radon Render 8.0 | E-Bike Fully Shop

You're buying direct though, so wouldn't have the advantage of being to take it back to the bike shop you bought it from if you have problems. However, Bosch bikes should have the motors/batteries supported by any Bosch service centre.

In reality, you probably wouldn't notice any difference between any of them in terms of performance.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles