Tec pack fault

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
Hi, has anyone had a fault with their tec pack battery not charging right? Mine has done this three times now where it gets to 80% and then the charger goes red. The battery should show up all the blue lights when it reaches each percentage but mine only shows the 80% light then goes off.
20191210_150400.jpg

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Could try running it down completely and then charge as, according to the manual, they have to 'learn' their capacity.
Most likely a trip back to James' though.

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
Going to try that with tomorrows ride, use tec battery first until it switches off then press it's on off button for a second straight away, I believe this should put it in learn mode for when I finally get home so I can then pop it on charge.
I bought the tec pack separately from Leisure lake bikes and the bike from Evans so if this doesn't fix it then it will be a call the Leisure lake bikes, got another 4 months left before it's warranty runs out.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Going to try that with tomorrows ride, use tec battery first until it switches off then press it's on off button for a second straight away, I believe this should put it in learn mode for when I finally get home so I can then pop it on charge.
I bought the tec pack separately from Leisure lake bikes and the bike from Evans so if this doesn't fix it then it will be a call the Leisure lake bikes, got another 4 months left before it's warranty runs out.

Sorry, just assumed everyone who lived in Chesterfield would go to James' and they had some good deals on Focus bikes.

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
Well we did a 31 miler this morning and the battery behaved it's self and shown up all full bars on its own lights. Ran it flat so it switched it's self off, gave it's button a quick press to supposedly put it in to learn mode and put it on change when I got home. Will see what happens this time when it's done charging.

Reactions: MsO

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
Checked on the battery earlier on today and it now seems to have charged up correctly this time. Will have to keep my eye on it and see what happens next time.

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
Battery has done it again, charged it yesterday, went in to check a while later, charger switched to solid light, remove charger, press battery button and just the 80 % light shows again, put on bike and bike display shows full bars. Get bike out this morning for my ride, press battery button and shows all five bars, very odd indeed. First couple of bars also seem to drop faster than before, especially on the internal battery, this one seems to drop after only a couple of miles these days and this is only on eco which I mainly use on all my rides, same routes, same weather it used to do 5 or 6 miles before dropping. Bike will be 2 years old in March and done just over 3000miles so I'm wondering if I should be taking it back to the shop while it's still under warranty. Is there a test they can do on the battery to test if it's holding a full charge ? Bike was from Evans but tec pack was from leisure lakes .
Also today I had the display go from eco to showing off, did it three times today while out and had to pop it back into eco with the switches.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
All our battery's will drop in perfomance ...every day.
I don't think any manufacture will guarantee that a battery will hold xx amount of miles after xx days..

Ofcourse...it must not drop 80% over night....but it will fall in performance every day.

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
All our battery's will drop in perfomance ...every day.
I don't think any manufacture will guarantee that a battery will hold xx amount of miles after xx days..

Ofcourse...it must not drop 80% over night....but it will fall in performance every day.
Your right they will loses performance, it's just a how much is too much and how much is acceptable. Getting bike checked over on Thursday and they are going to test both batteries and see what comes up. They said they will see if there are any battery updates too.

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
Well it looks like no one can read a Focus tec pack battery. Took bike in to a guy I know in a shop to put bike on the shimano diagnostic and all comes back ok for the bike (but doesn't show it's internal battery life). Do same for bike but running on the tec pack and the computer doesn't see the tec pack, just it's internal battery.

I contact Focus directly and they just say take it back to the dealer I got it from for them to test it.
Been in touch with the dealer and after a day of them asking questions between them selves they say they can't test the battery (no shit Sherlock) I had already told them this.
End result is no one can test a tec pack for faults and no one can tell what the single blue 80% light means, so I've took it back to the dealer today and they are sending it back to Focus ( Derby cycles as a warranty claim.

I report back when I know anymore. Not a happy bunny

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
Dealer been back in touch and focus are sending out a new tec pack battery for me, should be with by the end of next week.

While this has been going off I've been in touch with Evans about the warranty claim they put in about my bikes internal battery seeming to have dropped off quite a bit. They tell me they contacted Madison about it but had not heard back ( not surprised there as Madison are so slow with shimano warranty work). Well this got me thinking, so I asked a question on another forum and found the internal battery is also a Focus one so Evans need to contact them and not Madison, I've left a message for them to look into it and then see what happens.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles