Review Tannus tyre armour

themonkster

Sep 27, 2019
Manchester
Tannus Armour - Updated Review

I've been running the armour for over 4 months now front and rear. Minion DHF with an Aggressor on the rear.

Just come back from 3 days in Scotland. Managed 4 of the 7 Stanes. I'm pretty sure it was Mabie with the insanely sharp rocks everywhere.

Done 60 miles over the weekend and absolutely battered the tyres over all types of terrain and some unbelievable rock gardens.

No punctures or issues whatsoever. I've 100 percent confidence in these after the hammering they've taken over the weekend.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Tannus Armour - Updated Review

I've been running the armour for over 4 months now front and rear. Minion DHF with an Aggressor on the rear.

Just come back from 3 days in Scotland. Managed 4 of the 7 Stanes. I'm pretty sure it was Mabie with the insanely sharp rocks everywhere.

Done 60 miles over the weekend and absolutely battered the tyres over all types of terrain and some unbelievable rock gardens.

No punctures or issues whatsoever. I've 100 percent confidence in these after the hammering they've taken over the weekend.

Impressive. I do have a Tannus (Not fitted yet) but it is only for 2.5 width max and I run 2.6 tyres. Since I bought it they have brought out a larger one for 2.6 to 3.0 tyres. Not sure what to do. Use the current one or buy the new bigger one.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Impressive. I do have a Tannus (Not fitted yet) but it is only for 2.5 width max and I run 2.6 tyres. Since I bought it they have brought out a larger one for 2.6 to 3.0 tyres. Not sure what to do. Use the current one or buy the new bigger one.

Might be worth putting the calipers on your tyre and seeing what it's width really is. My Schwalbe Nobby Nics are sold as 2.6" but measure 2.5".

themonkster

Sep 27, 2019
Manchester
I really can't see 0.1 of an inch making a difference at all. I'd get it stuck in and save yourself a few quid.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Run it. You might need to inflate the tube a little more but it should work perfectly. I went the opposite route, over stuffing a 2.5 tire with a 2.6 tannus, and though it was a bear to mount, it works fine. I would have no issue whatsoever, undersizing tannus by 1/10 of ine inch. Manufacturers variation in sizing means the various tannus armour's must overlap by a decent margin.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham

What you bought will be fine, I contacted Tannus before I bought mine as the Spesh Butchers are 2.6 and their reply was that a lot of their staff run them in their 2.6 tyres without any issues.

I bought them and have had no issues whatsoever. I prefer them to tubeless, no mess or checking/topping up.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
What you bought will be fine, I contacted Tannus before I bought mine as the Spesh Butchers are 2.6 and their reply was that a lot of their staff run them in their 2.6 tyres without any issues.

I bought them and have had no issues whatsoever. I prefer them to tubeless, no mess or checking/topping up.

Thanks. Useful info. I’m testing out some Mr Tuffy liners at the moment but after a week a thorn went right through the back tyre and made quite a big hole through the liner and tube.

A4746648-EBB3-4AF5-BA9B-48216F2F1D28.jpeg

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
It's because I got a thorn puncture on my second/third ride I fitted Tannus and to be doubly sure, Slime inner tubes. I've lost count of the number of thorns I've pulled out, but not a single flat so far.

I realise I keep going on about how good they are, but they really give confidence and well worth it for the little weight gain.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
My first Tannus Armour test was to install in a DD Aggressor, that had originally been installed tubeless, but punctured on first few rides.

The Tannus Armour worked perfectly to salvage the new, but damaged aggressor. I beat it with everything I could, and it lives.

Today is a better test I think.

Looking for winter traction levels, I decided to try the tannus armour with a 2.5 exo shorty as rear tire. The shorty's story is more of the same. Originally installed tubless on front wheel, and punctured almost instantly.

I've got it installed now and will try my best to ruin it.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
20200831_185234.jpg

I threw everything I had at it today. Granted speeds were down with how gloriously muddy it was. I did try to do it harm, but the exo casing shorty with the armour will fight anouther day. Rain in the forecast.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
How long did it take you to get on? Took us 2 hours, 2 broken tyre levers and 3 pinched tubes and gave up...I am sure there's a knack to it. Doesn't it say on the box 45 seconds or something to install!?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
How long did it take you to get on? Took us 2 hours, 2 broken tyre levers and 3 pinched tubes and gave up...I am sure there's a knack to it. Doesn't it say on the box 45 seconds or something to install!?
I'm getting pretty good at installing them. I spray ArmourAll inside and out of the insert, and got it almost completely installed with no tools at all. The last two installs have gone faster than setting up a tubeless.

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
The Tannus Armour saved me a walk home recently.
I've been gifted a cycle computer which I was fitting over the weekend, when I notice (what I thought at first was bubble gum) a pink/red line on my rear tyre. It was a cut of around 20mm & it was the armour I could see.
The armour has a slice in it too, but not deep enough to get to the tube.
I need a new tyre, but that's all.
At a guess, it looks like something very sharp like glass was the culprit.

It's saved the day for sure. Big up for Tannus Armour (y) (y) (y) (y) :):)

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
So I bought a tannus to salvage a forekaster I had put on the rear tubeless and got a puncture that wouldn't seal. Tyre was only 100ks old.

Set it up today and got a snakebite puncture in the same section of trail as I punctured the tubeless set up.

Bad luck or poor set up I'm not sure but it was a shit 5k walk home pushing the bike. Now to get another tube and try again or a better tyre and go tubeless. 8000ks and never had a flat running tubeless with assegai and aggressor on the rear, might just be this shitty forekaster.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
So I bought a tannus to salvage a forekaster I had put on the rear tubeless and got a puncture that wouldn't seal. Tyre was only 100ks old.

Set it up today and got a snakebite puncture in the same section of trail as I punctured the tubeless set up.

Bad luck or poor set up I'm not sure but it was a shit 5k walk home pushing the bike. Now to get another tube and try again or a better tyre and go tubeless. 8000ks and never had a flat running tubeless with assegai and aggressor on the rear, might just be this shitty forekaster.
You can run lower pressure with tannus, but still need to be realistic. I'm only 2psi down on what I was running tubeless (17psi now), and that is still pretty low. I'm considering going 1 psi more (18psi). That's with a dhrII 2.6 exo; I'm a soft rider and about 80kg. I session ledges and jumps with that though.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
You can run lower pressure with tannus, but still need to be realistic. I'm only 2psi down on what I was running tubeless (17psi now), and that is still pretty low. I'm considering going 1 psi more (18psi). That's with a dhrII 2.6 exo; I'm a soft rider and about 80kg. I session ledges and jumps with that though.

That's the thing, I was running 30psi which is what I run tubeless. I wanted to compare it like for like. It was a fast section with a small kicker onto a small rock garden and I've done that section 50 times before. The tyre was rock hard so no idea how it compressed against the rim. I am 110kg and didn't feel any ding through the rim either.

I'll give it one more try tomorrow and if dies again I'll swap out the tyre and sell the tannus.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
That's the thing, I was running 30psi which is what I run tubeless. I wanted to compare it like for like. It was a fast section with a small kicker onto a small rock garden and I've done that section 50 times before. The tyre was rock hard so no idea how it compressed against the rim. I am 110kg and didn't feel any ding through the rim either.

I'll give it one more try tomorrow and if dies again I'll swap out the tyre and sell the tannus.

I'd Look closely at that section of trail before jumping in next time. Maybe some glass or certain bits of rock bound to cut a tire is there now.

The OEM Forkaster is awful. I try to forget that tire.

Reactions: iXi

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills

Just fitted one in the front this morning. No tyre levers needed. The tyre just popped on by itself. 5 minute job once I had removed the old tube.

1) break bead on one side of tyre and remove old tube

2) insert armour all the way around

3) insert partially inflated new tube into armour putting the tyre valve through the hole first

4) press the edge of the tannus flap into rim and repeat all the way round (see photo)

5FED70FA-25CF-4D99-98DF-B92F2923374E.jpeg

5) deflate tube completely now in order to get tyre back on

6) put soapy water all the way around the rim

7) start from valve end and work rim of tyre back on bit by bit.

8) if you do feel resistance towards the end then simply pinch the tyre at various points inwards. This puts the bead into “V” shaped valley inside the rim and creates slack. The tyre should now pop on easily

7) I used a battery powered pump to inflate to 30psi at which point the tyre was perfectly on the rim.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
In the end I set mine up with a dissector, a much better tyre than the forekaster and it went pretty smoothly, not as smoothly as the forekaster as it was a 2.6 round profile and the dissector was a 2.4 squarish profile so it was a bit more of a squeeze to get it in nicely.

Had it in for about 3 weeks and ripped it out and went back to tubeless. I liked the tannus, its bullet proof and really takes the hits out of the back tyre when you hit the sharp stuff but for general trails it just felt odd. Not sure what it was but I couldn't get use to it. Still a good product but not for me, I've kept it as back up just in case I get an unsealable puncture.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles