Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
1st puncture in the rear after 1300 miles

20200609_165132.jpg

Intermtb

Jan 5, 2020
USA
wow, nothing can stop that...:)
I never use tannus, how do you like it? did you still put sealant? or use it with tube ?

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
wow, nothing can stop that...:)
I never use tannus, how do you like it? did you still put sealant? or use it with tube ?
I really can't fault it, I use it with tubes. As an experiment I went tubeless in the front and Tannus Armour in the rear. I've now done a little over 1300 miles and have had 3 front punctures and now 1 in the rear. to be fair most of my cycling is commuting to work and back so most of my punctures are from broken glass which tubeless isn't really designed for

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Thats a serious puncture!

I'm on 900 miles without a puncture with the Tannus, wouldn't be without it in both tyres.

To be fair, nothing would have stopped that!

What tyre is that btw?

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
Thats a serious puncture!

I'm on 900 miles without a puncture with the Tannus, wouldn't be without it in both tyres.

To be fair, nothing would have stopped that!

What tyre is that btw?
the tyres are what came with the bike Schwalbe Smart Sam, Active, 2.60

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Make a warranty claim with photos!

Although perhaps check first - did the tube have an impact pinch flat or a real puncture?

More importantly, what was it like riding home with just the tannus ?

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
Make a warranty claim with photos!

Although perhaps check first - did the tube have an impact pinch flat or a real puncture?

More importantly, what was it like riding home with just the tannus ?
It was unridable. infact its the closest I've come to having a blow out on a bike

oldmanmx

Jan 19, 2020
Camden NSW
Thanks, I'm looking for some tyres that are all rounders, those look good for on and off road
I've been running these tyres on my Giant Trance 2019 in the Double Defense version (27.5x2.6) for a year and find them a great tyre that is good on tarmac but still works well off road. First thing I noticed was they rolled better than the original Maxxis so I was able to tune down my power slightly. Riding my usual loop around Sydney (100 klms @ 600 mtrs ascent/descent) the first time out on the Maxxis I ran out of battery at 91 klms. With the Schwalbe's I did the 100 with 33% of the battery remaining. Just keep in mind though that in Sydney we don't get a lot of rain so I don't think that they would be very good in mud but they reasonable on firm sand. They've done 3000 klms so far and still have a lot of life left in them. I've had one puncture so far on these caused by a thorn.

Krakaride

Jan 6, 2021
Hallett Cove
x
I rally can't fault it, I use it with tubes. As an experiment I went tubeless in the front and Tannus Armour in the rear. I've now done a little over 1300 miles and have had 3 front punctures and now 1 in the rear. to be fair most of my cycling is commuting to work and back so most of my punctures are from broken glass which tubeless isn't really designed for
Hey Jamy, I'm hoping you may be able to answer my question from your experience with tubed Tannus.
I understand most people here are running with Tannus at lower pressures for proper off-road eMTB action, for saving rims and of course puncture proofing without mess, but in my case, and perhaps similar to yours, I have a 2nd wheelset fitted with Maxxis Recon Race 29 x 2.4 front and rear, which are super fast rolling semi-slicks, pumped up to 40 - 50 psi, for commutes on bike paths, sealed roads, dirt/gravel roads etc. We know that paths can present broken glass and other dubious debris, and I have already experienced a puncture running tubless with Stans from a sharp stone on a gravel road. What a mess Mr hart!
So, my question is: Have you ever ran your Tannus fitted tyres hard?, and if so, does the Tannus change the hardness feel of the tyre where it meets the road? Like when a tyre is pumped up hard, it feels hard to depress by hand. Does the Tannus foam make it feel soft, no matter the tube pressure? Thanks in advance, Paul

Last edited:

oldmanmx

Jan 19, 2020
Camden NSW
x
Hey Jamy, I'm hoping you may be able to answer my question from your experience with tubed Tannus.
I understand most people here are running with Tannus at lower pressures for proper off-road eMTB action, for saving rims and of course puncture proofing without mess, but in my case, and perhaps similar to yours, I have a 2nd wheelset fitted with Maxxis Recon Race 29 x 2.4 front and rear, which are super fast rolling semi-slicks, pumped up to 40 - 50 psi, for commutes on bike paths, sealed roads, dirt/gravel roads etc. We know that paths can present broken glass and other dubious debris, and I have already experienced a puncture running tubless with Stans from a sharp stone on a gravel road. What a mess Mr hart!
So, my question is: Have you ever ran your Tannus fitted tyres hard?, and if so, does the Tannus change the hardness feel of the tyre where it meets the road? Like when a tyre is pumped up hard, it feels hard to depress by hand. Does the Tannus foam make it feel soft, no matter the tube pressure? Thanks in advance, Paul
I've been running the Tannus with tube for a year and about 3000ks and no punctures. When I'm about to ride mostly paths I'll pump up to 30-35psi and they still are more plush than just tubes. They are especially good at taking the edge off sharp egdes and small rocks. They tend to dampen those sharp vibrations you get from the small stuff.

Steve33

Nov 17, 2020
Kendal, UK
How did you fit your tannus. I decided to go the tannus way due to a number of punctures and not confident to go tubeless. I have tried yesterday for 2 hours to fit the tyre but can't. I get to the final bit of the tyre off the rim about 6" but can't get it onto the rim no matter what I do.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
How did you fit your tannus. I decided to go the tannus way due to a number of punctures and not confident to go tubeless. I have tried yesterday for 2 hours to fit the tyre but can't. I get to the final bit of the tyre off the rim about 6" but can't get it onto the rim no matter what I do.

You need to get the tyre bead right into the centre channel on the wheel.

If your wheels have been pre-taped as tubeless there is every chance that the centre channel (well) has been covered over. Also, a thick rim tape will also cause havoc.

You may need to remove the rim tape and use a "standard" roadie tape.

The rims on my missus' bike are narrow, so I had to trim the Tannus Armour by a millimetre or two on both sides to be able to get the tyre onto the rim.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I’ve been running Tannus for over a year now. No punctures. Before fitting the Tannus I was getting about 1 puncture every 2 weeks. Probably the best thing I ever bought for the bike. Yeah as @GrahamPaul says, if you squeeze the tyre walls inwards it will fall into the centre of the rim and gives the opposite side of the wheel more space for the tyre to pop on. It was very easy once I did this.

regarding pressures, at 30psi it feels pretty solid. I very rarely go above 30psi. Usually between 25 and 30.

it’s says on the box it is recommended you run the Tannus at between 5 and 10psi lower than normal.

also says deflate the tyre completely once in a while to allow Tannus to regain its optimal shape but I’ve never done this.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I have a tannus in the rear tyre which is a shitty forekaster that punctured after setting up tubeless and wouldn't seal.

I run 30 psi for the trails, anything less and I can feel the Rim hit when I hit some decent rocks, could be because I'm a fat bastard but I don't find I can run lower pressures. Maybe with a decent tyre I could. I could fit the tannus in the 2.6 forekaster but couldn't get a good fit with a 2.4 dissector. Maybe it needed a trim. Nevertheless decent product.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
I have a tannus in the rear tyre which is a shitty forekaster that punctured after setting up tubeless and wouldn't seal.

I run 30 psi for the trails, anything less and I can feel the Rim hit when I hit some decent rocks, could be because I'm a fat bastard but I don't find I can run lower pressures. Maybe with a decent tyre I could. I could fit the tannus in the 2.6 forekaster but couldn't get a good fit with a 2.4 dissector. Maybe it needed a trim. Nevertheless decent product.

If you've been running 30 psi and tannus, it's now a pancake - take a look. That's why you feel the rim impacts.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
When I first installed it, it felt too squishy with lower pressures like it was squirming in the corners. It's probably the shit tyre. Anyway I won't be riding for a while as I snapped my frame.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Yeah I read somewhere you need to partially deflate the tyre when storing the Tannus for long periods otherwise it squashes flat and becomes thinner.

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
Yeah I read somewhere you need to partially deflate the tyre when storing the Tannus for long periods otherwise it squashes flat and becomes thinner.
They do become much thinner. I removed mine & brought them into the house, hoping they would expand a little, but they didn't 😢
I won't purchase them again as I run 30 psi all the time.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
When I first installed it, it felt too squishy with lower pressures like it was squirming in the corners. It's probably the shit tyre. Anyway I won't be riding for a while as I snapped my frame.

I made a similar mistake - tried to negate the dead feeling by increasing pressure. Which is why I know they compress. They were spectacular on the younger kids bikes where I can run low pressure and enjoy a puncture free existence, but now they are getting faster than me I'm moving back to tubeless . Hmmm....that was silly...I should leave the tannus in and slow them down

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
First flat with Tannus after two years of use. It was so easy to change the tube as the tyre unseated easily, no sealant gluing the tyre to the rim. Few minutes and I was done.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
First flat with Tannus after two years of use. It was so easy to change the tube as the tyre unseated easily, no sealant gluing the tyre to the rim. Few minutes and I was done.

What was the cause of failure? Did the tube just disintegrate with age or did an object penetrate it?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There is still air pressure in the tyre, so a puncture would let the air out without sealant to block it. Is not using sealant with an insert your decision, or is it the recommendation of the insert supplier?
Puzzled and I need educating (not used an insert yet).

valecek

Apr 20, 2023
Slovakia
hi, what sealant did you use on tanuss armour? I stared with stans no tubes- it was perfect. Next year I buy a new litter, but all packate was petrified :)
After I wil try a mucc-off, but it will perhaps not so good -
the liquid literally turned into foam,many people wrote me the mucoff dont like inserts.

For this year I will try a Joes no flats, so i will see.

received_1159207521683855.jpeg 1681997070431.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles