Taller crown race?

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
I've replaced the fork on my 2020 Stance-e with a Fox Factory 36 which BTW feels much better than the OEM Suntour. The problem is that both the air cap and the compression dial make contact with the rubber battery bumper at the top of the down tube when the handlebar is turned sharply.
Does a deeper (taller?) crown race or some sort of spacer exist that would lower the fork (tapered) in the headset to provide more space?

Thanks.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
You can get one for your exact specs from MTB tools:

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
You can get one for your exact specs from MTB tools:

I just took a look and I'll need to drop the fork 20mm to get enough clearance between the rubber bumper and the stantion caps on the fork crown. Surely adding 20mm to the effective fork length.will screw up the handling. Thoughts?

20220615_151133.jpg

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Do you really need to turn it more than when it hits the bump stop? Imagine if you had triple clamp forks it would have even less movement from side to side and more travel. Just the fact that you have a better ride should be enough of an improvement, even if you loose a little 'Lock', unless your doing trials on your bike that is. ;)

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
Do you really need to turn it more than when it hits the bump stop? Imagine if you had triple clamp forks it would have even less movement from side to side and more travel. Just the fact that you have a better ride should be enough of an improvement, even if you loose a little 'Lock', unless your doing trials on your bike that is. ;)
I was thinking the same. The only time there would be significant contact is in a crash. Annoyingly, even slight contact with the compression knob causes a click.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Hadn't thought of the fact that contact is changing the rebound or compression settings. Would it be possible to 'add' some rubber to the block so that the contact point would be on the crown itself and not the clickers?

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
Hadn't thought of the fact that contact is changing the rebound or compression settings. Would it be possible to 'add' some rubber to the block so that the contact point would be on the crown itself and not the clickers?
Good thought. I'll have to look at that possibility. But the bars do have to be turned a lot to make contact.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
I highly advise against adding 20mm to the lower crown race. The forces on the fork and headtube would be much higher and adding 20mm to the fork length is a lot.

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
I highly advise against adding 20mm to the lower crown race. The forces on the fork and headtube would be much higher and adding 20mm to the fork length is a lot.
I am pretty sure I'll leave it the way it is. I don't like changing the geometry that much either. The Fox fork is already 10mm longer than the Suntour OEM.

Thanks all for your thoughts.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA

A crack or notch in the frame would be the worst outcome though if he does nothing. Hopefully it's only interfering with the rubber bumper.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles