• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Talk about derestricting / modifying bikes. Allowed or not? Poll - vote now!

Content that include derestricting, hacking and modding engines to circumvent local laws

• I think that is should not be allowed and should be removed

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • I think it should be allowed and stay as a source of information

Votes: 30 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
it should also be noted
it is not illegal to de- restrict your bike
it is not illegal to sell products that de-restrict
it is not illegal to buy products that de-restrict
it is not illegal to use a de-restricted bike on private land or land with the landowners permission
the only bit that is illegal is to use a de-restricted bike on public land/road

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
it should also be noted
it is not illegal to de- restrict your bike
it is not illegal to sell products that de-restrict
it is not illegal to buy products that de-restrict
it is not illegal to use a de-restricted bike on private land or land with the landowners permission
the only bit that is illegal is to use a de-restricted bike on public land/road

Fair play!

Much the same as owning a bong, hash pipe, credit card and rolled up fiddy ain't illegal either :LOL:

But at some point you need to lie... your warranty is invalidated and if the shop can't tell you hacked it then you are going to lie...dirty liar!! :LOL: (I'm being light hearted here by the way)

IF hackers only used them on private land... I really don't think this discussion would be happening.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I think its a subject that none or all of us are going to agree on and you are also right If somebody wants to hack their bike google is your friend!
but is it a subject we should ignore?
maybe for people against hacking they can talk about the ways to spot a hacked bike how else will it be stopped if nobody knows if a bike is hacked or not?
or maybe its a subject we should just ignore and not talk about in the hope it will go away. But then maybe one day they change the law and allow higher cutoff speeds but we wont know will we cos we are all ignoring the subject.
its never going to go away for example im not sure why but in-between the posts on this thread I am seeing adverts for a shop selling hacking tools for bosch motors, where is that coming from???

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
also worth noting there are some hacking tools that are not illegal to use the various apps that reconfigure the way a brose motor dishes out its power and I am just told there is an app coming that will do the same for the shimano motor, these may or may not invalidate your warrenty but they are not illegal to use.
should we not talk about them either?

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
I guess the problem isn't the hacking.
My bro used to sit at his computer for hours on end, programming it to do lame stuff just to see if he could.... bike hacking isn't about that.
The majority of hackers want to hack then ride on roads and trails where they aren't allowed to.. the effect of this is screwing it up for everyone.. jut because they want to do it.
Where does it stop?
Forums want to add these threads because it'll get them more notice and revenue.. like click bait on youtube where I never see the bikini clad babe fall in the hot tub...

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Not a bikini clad girl falling into a hot tub, but it’s close...
[youtube]9DzQDAcgSEw[/youtube]

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Well I got my new bike this week , I rode it round my local trail centre yesterday , the limiter Cuts in quite smoothly and it’s not as draggy as some I’ve tried , no problem on the road or flatter sections ,
however it’s a complete pain in the ass and ruined the flow of my ride , because your right on limiter speed on some quite long swoopy sections ,it’s cutting out just as your about to lift off over small humps etc , you shift your body wieght anticipating the flow and suddenly it’s power on or off causing a poorly controlled riding style ,
if it cut out at 20 ish then it would be ok but the current speed of 15.5 is terrible , and any decent normal bike rider behind me is going to develop a hate for ebikes making erratic progress .
I think talk here in a section of experiences of derestrictors isn’t a problem . Go on any motor forum boats bikes cars etc and they are all talking about speeds etc that exceed the law nobody knows or cares where those Vehicles are used or even licenced or insured . If a speed limiter is switchable on or off then it’s a purely personal thing where it’s used . This thread has got completely OTT at times , you don’t have to come here if you don’t like it .

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
If a speed limiter is switchable on or off then it’s a purely personal thing where it’s used . This thread has got completely OTT at times , you don’t have to come here if you don’t like it .

Why ask peoples opinions then?
If it's a case of "don't like it, then f*ck off" probably best not to ask the question in the first place... just an idea.

I'm read pedelecs as well... couldn't give a toss what they talk about.. but then again, they haven't asked me opinion.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Why ask peoples opinions then?
If it's a case of "don't like it, then f*ck off" probably best not to ask the question in the first place... just an idea.

I'm read pedelecs as well... couldn't give a toss what they talk about.. but then again, they haven't asked me opinion.

Iam new to Ebikes I May want ask people’s opinions on what to buy , where to buy , how to fit , etc etc , there are so many opinions , questions and info people may want , it’s the whole point of a forum isn’t it , If you don’t give a toss then why play the advocate here . If There’s a disclaimer stating the law then people can choose if they take part . We’ve allready heard from the minority who dint like it , same as brexit they were outvoted and should now respect the democratic decision and do what they have opted and said they would do , hopefully now it will become a useful section and not a place full of trolls and keyboard warriors which is what spoils so many forums .

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
Iam new to Ebikes I May want ask people’s opinions on what to buy , where to buy , how to fit , etc etc , there are so many opinions , questions and info people may want , it’s the whole point of a forum isn’t it , If you don’t give a toss then why play the advocate here . If There’s a disclaimer stating the law then people can choose if they take part . We’ve allready heard from the minority who dint like it , same as brexit they were outvoted and should now respect the democratic decision and do what they have opted and said they would do , hopefully now it will become a useful section and not a place full of trolls and keyboard warriors which is what spoils so many forums .

What triggered such trolls and keyboard warriors? Was it not this controversial topic?

History is doomed to repeat itself if you do not learn. There's many topics out there to discuss. Out of all of them, why choose one that gets people to show such ugliness and create grudges? Take a step back and look at things from different perspectives. Do you not see how it can self-destruct the forum's community? You can be all idealistic, saying it enlightens us as a whole, but I prefer to think there's already people who more qualified to represent us as diplomats, so we can focus on other things.

In the time you were not posting under this controversial topic, can you say your mood was generally happier and you were actually learning useful stuff? What about ebikes have you learned here? Did you find you judged people more under this topic, than you did about bikes?

What if we didn't have talk about such sensitive topics and just participated in other more ordinary topics? Am I worth insulting for wanting to see what happens then?

Last edited:

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
Hang on.. you told me If I didn't like it I didn't have to be hear... and I pointed out that if that's your stance on the matter then asking people opinions on whether the topic should have a place here is kinda stupid.

I don't give a toss about what they talk about.. if they ask my opinion I'll tell them.. but they probably won't.

Not sure if you're calling me a troll of keyboard warrior either...

Really nice place this until you are asked your opinion.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Hang on.. you told me If I didn't like it I didn't have to be hear... and I pointed out that if that's your stance on the matter then asking people opinions on whether the topic should have a place here is kinda stupid.

I don't give a toss about what they talk about.. if they ask my opinion I'll tell them.. but they probably won't.

Not sure if you're calling me a troll of keyboard warrior either...

Really nice place this until you are asked your opinion.

Pete read back a few pages , Perhaps you didn’t get the point of this thread . There was an open discussion and vote on subject as to wether or not to have this discussion on the forum . It was closed on A few days ago and the vote was very conclusive that the topic was wanted .
Rob the forum owner then asked how to continue with the subject, you then chime in with the negative arguments that should have ended with the vote . Arguing for or against the topic or the ethics is over we’re trying to move on so those 100plus members who want to talk about de restricting can do so without hassle and the ten that don’t can leave us to it .

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It wasn't quite 100...

However, the vote is closed, the results are in and it's time for Rob to work out how he intends to implement.

Personally, I think this thread is done.

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
Yup, I'm done with it.. I hadn't seen the thread, had only just joined and the thread wasn't locked so assumed I was allowed to have an opinion regardless of outcome... obviously wasn't the party line so I'm run down as Mr Negative.. Bob on.. I'm learning as we go.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
What triggered such trolls and keyboard warriors? Was it not this controversial topic?

History is doomed to repeat itself if you do not learn. There's many topics out there to discuss. Out of all of them, why choose one that gets people to show such ugliness and create grudges? Take a step back and look at things from different perspectives. Do you not see how it can self-destruct the forum's community? You can be all idealistic, saying it enlightens us as a whole, but I prefer to think there's already people who more qualified to represent us as diplomats, so we can focus on other things.

In the time you were not posting under this controversial topic, can you say your mood was generally happier and you were actually learning useful stuff? What about ebikes have you learned here? Did you find you judged people more under this topic, than you did about bikes?

What if we didn't have talk about such sensitive topics and just participated in other more ordinary topics? Am I worth insulting for wanting to see what happens then?
Or perhaps we could just live and let live :unsure:

Let those who want to talk about, talk about it :)

And those that don't want to talk about, don't talk about it :)

You said your bit and I think anyone with the time to read your posts will be very clear as to your views on the subject, but the vote has ended and as you can see it was decided quite clearly that the majority of members do want to be able to talk about it and as far as I can tell nothing terrible has happened.

Time to move on?

Paladin

Feb 18, 2018
Bakersfield
You guys across the pond really need to get that restriction moved up to 20 miles per hour. I ride every Saturday morning here in California with a great group of guys and I'm the only one on an ebike. That have accepted me and we have all become good friends. We have lots of trails here which are slightly rolling downhill. The group slowly pulls away from me in these conditions even with a 20mph restriction. The group waits for me and gives me a hard time about my slow ebike. We all have a laugh and continue on. If e bikes were restricted to 15mph here in the USA, I probably would not have purchased one. Hope y'all can get that changed.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
We have lots of trails here which are slightly rolling downhill. The group slowly pulls away from me in these conditions even with a 20mph restriction.
Eh? It's a restriction on assisted speed, not max attainable speed...

IMG_3155 (1).jpg

That was done on Launchpad in the FoD earlier this year...

The Gaffer tape is structural.

Last edited:

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Oi! There's a bit of pedaling, usually after I've fucked up a corner....
Yes at the top ? after that it’s all Like ET. I loved that launchpad , only been there once a few years ago now , I could have got well out of shape on the jump bit , and that bottom turn , my little 120 travel fox forks were groaning with the g force , love to try it again on the meta sometime .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles