• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Talk about derestricting / modifying bikes. Allowed or not? Poll - vote now!

Content that include derestricting, hacking and modding engines to circumvent local laws

• I think that is should not be allowed and should be removed

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • I think it should be allowed and stay as a source of information

Votes: 30 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dago

Dec 5, 2020
Michigan
Motors, such as the Brose, are used for bikes with various wheel sizes. If we can simply "tell" the motor the bike we are on is using smaller wheels, it will allow a higher speed to be reached, before "cutting" out. The current top speed cut out, is way to low. Prior to riding an EMTB, it was easy, as an all mountain rider, to attain speeds 20-25mph on single tracks. EMTB's that are restricted are virtually unrideable, because of the weight consequences, unless all one is doing is using it to power uphills, then take a downhill run. And another thing-EMTB's, "hacked" or not, should be allowed everywhere MTB's are ridden. Studies have shown there is no difference to the trail surfaces.

Dago

Dec 5, 2020
Michigan
I agree with @steviedsolve for the most part but a de-restricted bike doesn't automatically equate to going any faster on the trail/hill/track. Downhill is downhill and I have analogue bikes blow by me all the time...the truth is the de-restriction has no impact on how fast I personally go on the trail. I may average 15ish mph going up but like I said downhill is downhill and gravity is taking care of that. I just prefer that my motor doesn't cut off when I commuting to the trail (or ever for that matter) and that's the primary reason for me to de-restrict (25mph is more than enough). With all that said I just think etiquette with emtb's in general is important to deter the misconceptions. I prefer to ride when its empty or bring as little attention to myself as possible but when there is traffic I always politely defer. I ride advanced but I am 50 and don't roll like I use to...lol. The emtb has basically just leveled the ride for me...nothing more nothing less.
As a former pro motocross and enduro rider, my top speeds on single tracks with a derestricted bike are phenomenally faster. There is absolutely no way for a regular MTB to maintain the speeds that are capable with a derestricted bike, on ANY single track. IT is not even the same sport, it is a hybrid of silent moto riding, with the added of fun of your own input, getting it there.

Cbmojo

May 20, 2020
USA
As a former pro motocross and enduro rider, my top speeds on single tracks with a derestricted bike are phenomenally faster. There is absolutely no way for a regular MTB to maintain the speeds that are capable with a derestricted bike, on ANY single track. IT is not even the same sport, it is a hybrid of silent moto riding, with the added of fun of your own input, getting it there.
to be clear I was speaking from my personal experience. However, "Phenomenally faster" than what? in that equation, all emtbs are faster than analogue bikes...derestriction has little to do with it.

Also for context i am in the US so restriction is capped at 20mph

His_Turdness

Nov 12, 2020
Finland
As long as the bike doesn't go faster than 45km/h, I'm fine with derestricting. Regular road shuttles go faster than that anyway (and are much more dangerous with their skinny tires) and nobody seems to care about that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles