Swapping brakes from SRAM to shimano which post mount?

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Hello,
want to swap code r brakes for shimano xt four pot 8020. I know I need new rotors as shimano use 203mm rotors. Not sure about which post mount to get, figured someone on here has been through this.... maybe?

Cheers

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Can I run xt 8020 brakes with existing 200mm rotors? was under the impression I needed 203mm to run Shimano but thinking about it, I think that's only if I want to run Shimano rotors.

Maybe I answered my own question?

MTB_MIKE

Dec 20, 2019
Southern California, USA
Yup, im running Zee’s with SRAM rotors

B7341F0D-2E98-4049-9999-39D663F1B03D.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just swapped a ZEE onto the back of the kenevo from the code r. Straight swap . No problems with existing mounts or rotors.

The SRAM rotors still scream when wet, but don't seem to have reduced braking like the codes.

Love the Zee. Need to do the front and maybe upgrade to 220 SRAM rotors or Shimano s to stop the squeal.

MTB_MIKE

Dec 20, 2019
Southern California, USA
Just swapped a ZEE onto the back of the kenevo from the code r. Straight swap . No problems with existing mounts or rotors.

The SRAM rotors still scream when wet, but don't seem to have reduced braking like the codes.

Love the Zee. Need to do the front and maybe upgrade to 220 SRAM rotors or Shimano s to stop the squeal.

Try running one side resin one side metallic pads. You get the power of metallic pads but also less noise. It’s a hack many racers use.

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
SRAM has always had issues with brakes. The sooner you get rid of them, the sooner you stop confidently.
Let's start with a few really bad ones.
The dreaded turkey gobble that spawned more threads than the must luxurious sheets.
The "new" hydro road disk brakes that had to be recalled.

Sure, shimano has a few issues here and there, but at least you could stop when it was cold. SRAM brakes use DOT fluid. DOT fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture). What happens to water below 32 F, 0 C ???? yeah, crystalized fluid.

msim3011

Apr 9, 2020
SCOTLAND
So if you're swapping out the SRAM's for Shimano's but not changing the size of the rotors (200mm F&R to 203mm - OK 3mm difference!) the existing mounts are fine - no need to buy Shimano adaptors?!!

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
I think what he’s asking is if he only changes the brakes
and not the rotors does he need new adapters and from what
I did you do not need to change the adaptors. Both worked
fine with the mounts that came with the bike. Now if you
change the rotors to 203mm then you have to get new adaptors
or they will rub badly.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
SRAM has always had issues with brakes. The sooner you get rid of them, the sooner you stop confidently.
Let's start with a few really bad ones.
The dreaded turkey gobble that spawned more threads than the must luxurious sheets.
The "new" hydro road disk brakes that had to be recalled.

Sure, shimano has a few issues here and there, but at least you could stop when it was cold. SRAM brakes use DOT fluid. DOT fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture). What happens to water below 32 F, 0 C ???? yeah, crystalized fluid.

You're talking absolute shite mate.

-10c on SRAM guide REs

Barty_NorthVan

Apr 22, 2020
North Vancouver
I swapped out the SRAM brakes for Zee's and Ice tech rotors and wow what a difference! Love the feel and they work much better for me. You do need new adapters for the 203 mm rotors but they are pretty straight forward to find. View attachment 27351
Hey There,
I just ordered some Saints with 203 ice rotors for my Decoy and have 2 questions for you?
1) You say you needed new adapters? Could you just add an extra spacer on the bolt to make up the extra 3mm?
2) How difficult was it to install the rear brake? Any steps/tips would help.
Thanks
Barty

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
Hey There,
I just ordered some Saints with 203 ice rotors for my Decoy and have 2 questions for you?
1) You say you needed new adapters? Could you just add an extra spacer on the bolt to make up the extra 3mm?
Thanks
Barty

1. This is the proper adapter. Yes, you could easily fudge it with adapters

2. For the rear, drop the battery. Pay attention to how the existing brake line is routed and be sure to follow the same pattern. You'll need to install it without a fitting so make sure you have an insert and an olive
IMG_1578 2.jpg

Last edited:

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Hey There,
Thanks
Barty

If you are going ice tech just get the correct adapter.. you already spent the $$ on brakes and rotors why cheese out on adapters:)

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Drop the battery and remove the mounting bracket closest to the head tube. (Three T25 torx i believe). This was you can just stick your hand up there and push it out the hole, instead of trying to poke and pray it aligns.

I don’t think there is any reason to bother with getting a new adapter. Your brakes should come with various spacers/washers you can use to get it aligned. Not very hard to add 3mm of spacing.

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
I don’t think there is any reason to bother with getting a new adapter. Your brakes should come with various spacers/washers you can use to get it aligned. Not very hard to add 3mm of spacing.

I agree. A few cheap washers will get the job done.
I migrated the Codes to a different bike that I'm selling that's setup for 180 mm post mount. I spaced out the extra gap for the 200 rotor. Having to space out for 3mm is nothing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles