Swapping 2022 Trance E+ for 2022 Reign E+?

Babahawk

Mar 17, 2022
Wilmington, DE
I picked up a 2022 Trance E+ 2 a few weeks ago and absolutely love it-I love it so much that I was thinking about selling it and getting the 2022 Reign E+ 2. The Trance pedals so well I figured what the hell why not get more travel? Most of the stuff I ride is pretty gnar and I would love to do some "shuttle" type stuff with the Reign. I have an enduro bike already (Pivot Firebird) but man it is tiring going uphill on the thing! (Yes I am getting old...) Am I insane?!

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
No not crazy 😀.
I switched from a perfectly loveable Trance E+2 (2020) to the 2022 Reign E+2, no regrets. Different bikes, Reign much better at descending.

Babahawk

Mar 17, 2022
Wilmington, DE
No not crazy 😀.
I switched from a perfectly loveable Trance E+2 (2020) to the 2022 Reign E+2, no regrets. Different bikes, Reign much better at descending.
Also thinking the aluminum might be a little more durable than the carbon-I assume the aluminum Reign doesn't weigh a ton more?? (Also a SRAM guy-the SLX shifting on the Trance is pretty crappy!)

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Alu vs Carbon, that’s a long discussion… The Reign is about 1Kg more than Carbon Trance 2022

pdgs

Oct 12, 2021
Austria
After maintaining and cleaning my 2020 trance e+ 1 yesterday, I would definitly go again with an aluminium frame on my next bike.
Found a lot of marks from my ..... harder rides 🙃

Stay safe - ride safe!

Dale_Calgary

Jan 22, 2022
Calgary
You are not insane but as long as you know your riding and what kind of travel you need it's your money. Maybe your LBS that you bought the trance from will take it back but then again there are shortages and you might need to hunt for a reign. If you want SRAM look for a 0 or get a 2 and build it as you want.

Babahawk

Mar 17, 2022
Wilmington, DE
Still going to sell the Trance WHEN they actually can get a Reign! My LBS buddies said they are super hard to find right now-just like every other damn thing on Earth!

Vroonster

Feb 11, 2022
Calgary, AB Canada
I have a 2013 Trance X0 and have loved it. I just picked up a Reign E+1. I was worried I made the wrong decision and should maybe have gotten the Trance E. Thanks for helping me feel better! I have wanted more travel for years so I thought the Reign would suit my riding style better. I have only ridden it once so far but super stoked on it.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I picked up a 2022 Trance E+ 2 a few weeks ago and absolutely love it-I love it so much that I was thinking about selling it and getting the 2022 Reign E+ 2. The Trance pedals so well I figured what the hell why not get more travel? Most of the stuff I ride is pretty gnar and I would love to do some "shuttle" type stuff with the Reign. I have an enduro bike already (Pivot Firebird) but man it is tiring going uphill on the thing! (Yes I am getting old...) Am I insane?!
Why not up the front suspension and throw a 27.5 wheel on the back?

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Why not up the front suspension and throw a 27.5 wheel on the back?

My OEM hub sheared the freehub threads, and while waiting for a warranty replacement, I had a spare 27.5 sitting around.

Even without the increase in front travel, making the Trance X e+ a mullet produces a very noticable change in top speed, and handling. I didn't like either effects, but some may prefer the lower BB and such.

One thing to consider, is that you will loose about 3mph at the cut off, with the shorter wheel. My dealer said they could not correct the wheel size in the software🤔. I was like... just dump the reign firmware in silly... but they would not.

Padge

May 7, 2022
Dublin Ireland
I've gone from the 2021 Trance to the 2022 Reign.
Front end is much nicer on the Reign. More confidence going through rock gardens etc at speed.
Rear end is way more playful with the Reign (the rear of the Trance seemed like it was glued to the ground).

Biggest downside to the Reign is the shite ground clearance. Pedal strikes get tiresome!

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
I've gone from the 2021 Trance to the 2022 Reign.
Front end is much nicer on the Reign. More confidence going through rock gardens etc at speed.
Rear end is way more playful with the Reign (the rear of the Trance seemed like it was glued to the ground).

Biggest downside to the Reign is the shite ground clearance. Pedal strikes get tiresome!
I went from 2020 Trance (27.5”) to the 2022 Reign E+2 and agree with your comments, nicer front end, overall better bike (for me). I’m running my bike (Medium) with flipchip on High and don’t experience pedal strikes (160mm cranks). If you search the 2022 Reign discussions, you will find that BB height is sIightly higher on E+2 vs E+1. Cheers!

Babahawk

Mar 17, 2022
Wilmington, DE
Just an FYI since the there is no '22 Reign in L or XL available I did convert the my stock Trance fork from 150-170. I kept the 29 rear wheel (for now.) It handles great! I think it slackened the head angle 1 deg (based on interweb search that adding 20mm will do that.) I noticed it is a notch harder to point straight on SUPER steep climbs and notch slower on super tight singletrack-neither of which are an issue. In case anyone is interested in doing this you need the e-bike specific air shaft from Fox. I ordered the regular one and the ID of the fork legs is a smidge smaller on the e-bike forks which I assume is for strength. (I just swapped the top and bottom sliders to the new shaft after removing the roll pin.)

pdgs

Oct 12, 2021
Austria
Be aware of changing the rear setup !
Speed-Sensor, rear frame geometry regarding wheel-size and chainstay !

Let a pro setup your complete suspension!
I had the feeling, that my stock suspension on my >>2020 trance e+ 1<< has been changed!!!

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
Interesting to read this post, I'm keen to get a reign +1 but availability in nz is most likely none this year. There are some Trance's arriving soon'ish which could be a option and look at a reign in a year or so.
Maybe keep the 750 battery from trance and sell with 630 from reign +1 !

Thanks for the insight guys

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
Just an update (if anyone cares!) switching back from 170 mm fork airshaft to 160 mm. Turns out the stock Trance e-bike fork can only go to 160mm. It had a dead spot after converting to 170 and this is why-160 max. The correct part number for the 160 mm e-bike airshaft is 820-02-579-KIT

The e+2 has fox 36 rhythm ?
Can you upgrade the damper to a grip 2 like on the performance elite forks?
How do you find the the trance on steep gnar type tracks? The long wheel base must help a bit.

LielyF

Apr 13, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
Just an update (if anyone cares!) switching back from 170 mm fork airshaft to 160 mm. Turns out the stock Trance e-bike fork can only go to 160mm. It had a dead spot after converting to 170 and this is why-160 max. The correct part number for the 160 mm e-bike airshaft is 820-02-579-KIT

Useful information, thanks. Have just ordered that part number so will be interesting to test the change.

LielyF

Apr 13, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
The e+2 has fox 36 rhythm ?
Can you upgrade the damper to a grip 2 like on the performance elite forks?
How do you find the the trance on steep gnar type tracks? The long wheel base must help a bit.

My understanding is yes you can change all 36 forks to the Grip 2 damper. I might do that in the future but so far I have no complaints from the damper that's on my 'Performance' fork. Interested to try a touch more travel though.

I have a 2022 Trance X E+1 and it generally smashes through the rough stuff no problem. Obviously a Reign will do it better but will be compromised on the flat/uphill in comparison. My skill level is nowhere near reaching the limit of what the bike is capable of.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles