Suspension set-up guides and info

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
gonna read that, but right now I belive the thing is set it on neutral or the position I’m planning to run the most, these are the two options that makes “more sense“ to me ...

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
My 2019 Specialized Comp Levo has a FOX DPS Performance shock, I’ve bought the spacer kit which comes with five different sizes. I appreciate the number to use comes down to personal preference, but anyone know the maximum I should be trying, all five or a subset? The Fox site isn’t clear.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Benson I didn't have that exact same Fox shock and it was 4 years ago now, but the idea then was to use one spacer only. The pack of spacers had five in it, all were different. Three were for my shock and two were for a different shock. The three for mine were small, medium, and large O.2cuin, 0.4cuin and 0.6cuin. The spacers could not be linked to each other, you had to use only one at a time.

Last edited:

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
@Benson I didn't have that exact same Fox shock and it was 4 years ago now, but the idea then was to use one spacer only. The pack of spacers had five in it, all were different. Three were for my shock and two were for a different shock. The three for mine were small, medium, and large O.2cuin, 0.4cuin and 0.6cuin. The spacers could ot be liked to each other , you had to use only one at a time.

Cheers Steve, that would explain things!

ShaneS

Apr 8, 2020
Tamworth UK
hi guys new here i have a merida e160 900e and getting base setting using shockwiz lent me by local shop .i have chosen neutral /poppy. now i quite happy with how bike feels but the shockwiz keeps saying to firm the low speed compression up.But it now at max every other setting is in the green, just wondering what people thoughts on this if used shockwizz before .
forks are fox factory grip2 and have 3 tokens in air pressure is 66psi and i weigh around 80kg
Regards shane

Last edited:

ShaneS

Apr 8, 2020
Tamworth UK
well tried 90 which has sorted the slow compression but shockwizz now says reduce air lol
bike felt good so will tinker with tokens and air pressure left the 3 tokens as that how bike came

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
well tried 90 which has sorted the slow compression but shockwizz now says reduce air lol
bike felt good so will tinker with tokens and air pressure left the 3 tokens as that how bike came
Depends the way you're riding and if you bottoming out the fork on big drops. If not might as well remove on token and see if shokwiz is happier. I'm 105Kg fully kitted and I have two tokens in my Rockshox but I don't do big drops lol. too old for that :poop:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
As interesting as this celebrity mixed doubles Psi tennis match is. you guys do realise that fancy little electronic pressure logger is only a guide and Set-up recommendations from folk you've never met online are at best nothing more than educated guesses?
I'd recommend you ignore both, go back and actually read/watch all of the set-up info in the first post in this thread to gain your own understanding of how to set-up suspension to your own preference, weight and riding style.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
As interesting as this celebrity mixed doubles Psi tennis match is. you guys do realise that fancy little electronic pressure logger is only a guide and Set-up recommendations from folk you've never met online are at best nothing more than educated guesses?
I'd recommend you ignore both, go back and actually read/watch all of the set-up info in the first post in this thread to gain your own understanding of how to set-up suspension to your own preference, weight and riding style.
Hahaha expecting people not to listen to what machines tell them. Your old school Gary!

ShaneS

Apr 8, 2020
Tamworth UK
yes i do realize its an aid which i have used before if you look at first post i was inquiring if anyone had any thoughts on matter ie experienced it before

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Obviously Fox specific, but I though this video is quite informative at what to look at when upgrading suspension

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Technically yes, is it certified for them, no, will it rip the front end off, who knows? You are basically putting DH forks on a trail bike, and that is likely to cause more problems than benefits

Cavey76

Sep 19, 2020
Belfast
Guys, I am fairly new to full suspension (like 2 weeks). There is a definite slight, "pffffft" sound from my shock when i sit gently on the bike as part of the Sag setup process. Is this normal also there does seem to be some weeping from the shock, as in the body has a very sligt film of shock oil, i presume on it.

Is this normal or do i have issues?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Impossible to say from your description.
Shocks can make a slight wheezing sound as they move through their travel and slight weaping from the seal can be fairly normal on a newly serviced perfectly functioning shock.
Being completely new to suspension and the fact you haven't even mentioned what shock it is, If you're worried you should take it to a good bike shop with good suspension knowledge rather than trying to diagnose online via a forum.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Guys, I am fairly new to full suspension (like 2 weeks). There is a definite slight, "pffffft" sound from my shock when i sit gently on the bike as part of the Sag setup process. Is this normal also there does seem to be some weeping from the shock, as in the body has a very sligt film of shock oil, i presume on it.

Is this normal or do i have issues?
Is it after you've added or removed some pressure? It could be the negative and positive air chambers equalizing :ROFLMAO:. I only just learned about it from the linked video posted by Topolino. If you go to 3'30" you'll get an explanation. It's an unnecessarily complex video, but the dude did have that awesome piece of info that I hadn't seen elsewhere, ever!

Re the oil weeping - yes, that seems to be normal for a new shock. I've read somewhere that when it stops, it might be time for a quick service, which includes replacing that oil.

Cavey76

Sep 19, 2020
Belfast
Is it after you've added or removed some pressure? It could be the negative and positive air chambers equalizing :ROFLMAO:. I only just learned about it from the linked video posted by Topolino. If you go to 3'30" you'll get an explanation. It's an unnecessarily complex video, but the dude did have that awesome piece of info that I hadn't seen elsewhere, ever!

Re the oil weeping - yes, that seems to be normal for a new shock. I've read somewhere that when it stops, it might be time for a quick service, which includes replacing that oil.

Cheers Fella - Yes it was after adding some air. Watching that vid now for more understanding.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Cheers Fella - Yes it was after adding some air. Watching that vid now for more understanding.

Key is to add air in smallish increments (10 psi for fork, 20 psi for shock) and cycle the fork/shock to equalize things before adding the next bit of air.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Key is to add air in smallish increments (10 psi for fork, 20 psi for shock) and cycle the fork/shock to equalize things before adding the next bit of air.
Your increments are very small, if you go with about 20-25psi for fork and 40-50psi for shock you should be just fine ....

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Your increments are very small, if you go with about 20-25psi for fork and 40-50psi for shock you should be just fine ....

In theory yes. My real world experience says otherwise. ;-) Particularly for the fork.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
One question, bit techy

One bike with a leverage ratio curve 3.4 - 2.6
Another with 3.0 - 2.0 (wider ratio, lower average ratio)

What is the difference in behavior in real world? I do understand wider is more progressive, and what average ratio means but I can’t figure how does it feel, is more reactive or some like that? Thanks!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
One question, bit techy

One bike with a leverage ratio curve 3.4 - 2.6
Another with 3.0 - 2.0 (wider ratio, lower average ratio)

What is the difference in behavior in real world? I do understand wider is more progressive, and what average ratio means but I can’t figure how does it feel, is more reactive or some like that? Thanks!
It's not as simple as you're assuming.
Geometry, suspension design. antisquat and antirise all also make a difference to ride character. As does the shock used. And the rider.

Ride both and make up your own mind.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles