Suspension compression

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
How are you getting along with the F535? I saw your original video when it was just installed, but as far as I have seen you have not made a newer one, is that correct? How does it compare to top end fox 36 factory and rockshox (Pike? - sorry, I am a superficial fox fanboi for no other reason than the cashima coating. All that glitters really is gold! )

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its always quite disconcerting when you see how much forks flex! I would say though that if in your normal riding the fork is working fine dont change it, the huck to flat you did is quite big and if you where doing jumps like that/street riding regularly you would run higher pressures. I only ride off a 3 ft drop to flat when performing similar test.

You should tap up MRP to see if they will lend you a coil fork, see how you like it.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
HUXORZ2FLAT? Dafuq? is this 1996 again?
kinda hope so ;) ... *Looks in the mirror* *Is massively disappointed* :cry:

Dude.
As above with R120s advice. Don't stick #STOKENZ in an otherwise well set up fork if your normal riding isn't HUX to flat.
Simply up your pressures for jumping and mad dropz days.
(you'll possibly need to add a click of rebound if you up them by say 10psi)
This way your suspension is really easily put back to your regular trail settings.

I drop and jump Waaaay higher/bigger stuff than you and don't run any tokens at all in any of my forks.
Your technique could also be smoother landing. you're kinda rigid there ;)

and yeah. All forks flex (even dual crown DH forks). best advice is not to video analyse it.
My 4X bike runs a REBA... I'd HATE to see that thing video'd on a big hit/landing.
it's perfectly up to the job though.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Can I give you a wee tip @Rob Hancill

fuck it. Since when have I ever held back before?

See when you land jumps? keep your cranks more level. (the rearward crank rotated slightly back. but nowhere near as much as you have them in a lot of those clips).
Rotating them backwards causes you to rotate your whole body backwards and "hang off" the back too much.
When you're not centred you're not absorbing the landing evenly. with your arms and your rearward foot is left absorbing/taking more of the force.
This is part of the reason you're so rigid on landing.
Fear is generally the reason folk hang too far off the back. It's a head fuck at first but there's no reason to be so far back. you're not ever going to be spat over the bars if centred landing a drop like that.
proper technique and repetition is your friend here.
Some things you simply can't fix with expensive components ;)

I'm guessing you're also not hitting that drop at all that much speed. If you can hit it faster it'd also be less harsh.

hope some of this helps

Watch some 80s/90s BMX street/drop videos and pay attention to the riders body positions.
those bikes are over 2 foot shorter than your Levo and have NO SPENSHUN!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Can I give you a wee tip @Rob Hancill

fuck it. Since when have I ever held back before?

See when you land jumps? keep your cranks more level. (the rearward crank rotated slightly back. but nowhere near as much as you have them in a lot of those clips).
Rotating them backwards causes you to rotate your whole body backwards and "hang off" the back too much.
When you're not centred you're not absorbing the landing evenly. with your arms and your rearward foot is left absorbing/taking more of the force.
This is part of the reason you're so rigid on landing.
Fear is generally the reason folk hang too far off the back. It's a head fuck at first but there's no reason to be so far back. you're not ever going to be spat over the bars if centred landing a drop like that.
proper technique and repetition is your friend here.
Some things you simply can't fix with expensive components ;)

I'm guessing you're also not hitting that drop at all that much speed. If you can hit it faster it'd also be less harsh.

hope some of this helps

Watch some 80s/90s BMX street/drop videos and pay attention to the riders body positions.
those bikes are over 2 foot shorter than your Levo and have NO SPENSHUN!
Yeah my technique isnt great! I'll do a bit more practicing. Here's another angle after I put a bit more air in the fork..

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Feet look way better in that one, your arms/leg absorbtion timing seems a little off (hard to tell tho TBH it might just be exagerated due to the slo-mo)
Your technique is inconsistent but I'm guessing you were trying out different approaches (on purpose to video the suspension?)
Landing rear wheel, both wheels or front first all have their benefits and places and it's good to learn how to control the angle of landing consistently and confidently but the thing is throughout the clips your feet are all over the place from a consistency point of view.
It might seem I'm nit picking here and I hope you don't think I'm trying to criticise you .I'd just like to help you a little. I genuinely enjoy watching riders progress and if I'm able to help even more so.

BTW I know I bang on about loving low BBs. but to give you an idea of just how low I like some of my bikes to ride. if I bottomed to flat with your foot position on some of your clips I'd be bottoming out the rear pedal off the floor.

Last edited:

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Nice input Gary.

Worth noting that though the forks flex they’re actually doing their job by doing that. Better to flex than be so rigid they snap.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
on a telescopic fork a lot of the crown/stanchion flex comes from forwards/rearwards loads binding the bushings.
this is one of the bigest arguments manufacturers/engineers use in favour of linkage forks.
fork brake dive and stiffness being the other.
Rigid forks flex fore and aft tons too BTW

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Feet look way better in that one, your arms/leg absorbtion timing seems a little off (hard to tell tho TBH it might just be exagerated due to the slo-mo)
Your technique is inconsistent but I'm guessing you were trying out different approaches (on purpose to video the suspension?)
Landing rear wheel, both wheels or front first all have their benefits and places and it's good to learn how to control the angle of landing consistently and confidently but the thing is throughout the clips your feet are all over the place from a consistency point of view.
It might seem I'm nit picking here and I hope you don't think I'm trying to criticise you .I'd just like to help you a little. I genuinely enjoy watching riders progress and if I'm able to help even more so.

BTW I know I bang on about loving low BBs. but to give you an idea of just how low I like some of my bikes have so low BBs that if I bottomed to flat with your foot position on some of your clips I'd be bottoming out the rear pedal off the floor.
Thanks Gary - I dont jump much to be honest but do want to improve. It's watching things back like this that really help. I had no idea my feet were in that position! They felt neutral when doing it so now I can think a bit more about foot position.

I might film it again and post, maybe you can be my virtual coach!!?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
BTW... Practice proper bunny hops all the time... like every time you're stopped hanging around on the bike.
they teach you good footwork habits without having to think about it.
and teach you how to dip a bike in the air.
and improve your pre-loading ability massively.
good core work out too (as is manualling)

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
I got a Fox Factory DPX2 shock and did some setup testing. Check out the flex on the front end here where my fork bottoms out.

I’m going to put a token in the front...

For ultimate stiffness I presume Lefty is the top choice. They do have a kit that allows mounting to non-cannondale frames, one of the guys from my local community did the lefty upgrade and says it's a huge difference to any other fork in terms of stiffness and non-stiction on the big bumps and drops.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
For ultimate stiffness I presume Lefty is the top choice. They do have a kit that allows mounting to non-cannondale frames, one of the guys from my local community did the lefty upgrade and says it's a huge difference to any other fork in terms of stiffness and non-stiction on the big bumps and drops.
Checks calendar to see if still 1st

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
Checks calendar to see if still 1st
It's not )
y_EvASSDicE.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The lefty is more of an XC fork - its is much stiffer than it appears, but its natural rivals are the fox 32 etc - I would be surprised if it is stiffer than a 36 or Lyrik, if it had the same travel

This vid has some comparisons

Last edited:

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
[
The lefty is more of an XC fork - its is much stiffer than it appears, but its natural rivals are the fox 32 etc - I would be surprised if it is stiffer than a 36 or Lyrik, if it had the same travel

This vid has some comparisons

It doesn't flex as badly as the DT fork on Rob's vid, and they do run 140 mm of travel (I believe there was 160 version as well). Did you actually try one or wobbled/flexed one with your own hand? It's crazy stiff (c'mon, it has square edges) and almost has no stiction under load (needle bearings).

Last edited:

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
Gladly dude!
We really should hook up for a ride sometime though. I should be Eeb'd up again pretty soon ;)
Can more people get in on that video coaching!? I have no easy access to coaches here and really want to learn to manual, bunny hop and jump better!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'm fairly confident i could teach you to bunnyhop in one session.
jumping and manuals I can show you the correct techniques for in a single session too but mastering either is massively dependent on the rider and their level of comittment

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Whereabouts? I have a good friend who lives just outside Valencia i visit from time to time.

This could actuallty be a go-er.

The biggest problem woyld be getting a battery there.

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
Whereabouts? I have a good friend who lives just outside Valencia i visit from time to time.

This could actuallty be a go-er.

The biggest problem woyld be getting a battery there.
That would be awesome! I live just 15 minutes north of the city and I have friends in a few ebike stores so I can probalby get you a bike or battery on loan of it came to that... EMTB forums is going global! :cool::ROFLMAO:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles