Survey: does the emtb make you a more adventurous rider

Survey: does the emtb make you a more adventurous rider

• Yes, changing to emtb made me do more technical downhill and uphill, bigger jumps and rougher trail

Votes: 121 81.8%
  • No, changing to emtb has not changed my riding style.

Votes: 27 18.2%

• Total voters

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
I find that going from mtb to emtb, or buying an emtb as a first bike, everyone end up doing more agressive downhill, uphill stuff and jumps than they expected.
Is that a trend?
I think the answer is helpful for newbies deciding on their first bike type/spec.

In conclusion, if the poll shows a clear trend towards more adeventurous riding, a newbie should consider gettting more travel and dropper capability than first expected. If not, well, this poll is pretty much useless :p

A few notes:
Obviously my group is not representative of the entire world (too bad :cool:) and we are generally not greatly skilled riders. This means that simply by getting out more, we get better and this allows us to try more challenging stuff. I think someone who is already a great rider will probably not change riding style as much by going to emtb.

Also, since emtb's do not have the same focus on weight saving, it means it is generally more "burly" bikes, which invites you to do more. For instance, many of my friends have changed from 120mm non-dropper, hardtails to +140mm FS, dropper ebikes. This has had the effect that instead of looking for nice smooth surfaces and flowing trails, we are now looking for "trouble."

So my point is this: For "non-lifers" emtb leads to more agressive DH and UH stuff!
I coin the term a "DUH"

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I voted yes as riding an EMTB has allowed me to ride more, and not be as knackered, so able to hit more trails and up my progression again having been in a rut for most of the last decade.

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I find myself riding off the beaten path. To places that would have been too difficult or slow on a non-ebike. It's definitely opened a whole new area of riding for me. I thought my fat bike was an "adventure bike" but it turns out this ebike is way more worthy of adventure riding

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No not for me. (if I understand the question properly)

But i'm fast aproaching 50 and have ridden mtb for around 30 years and rode DH and hit 50ft+ jumps for 20+ of those years.
I've not given up on progression or anything but my priority is 100% about fun over the clock now. I'm still a decent, stylish (and modest) rider and still ride DH and hit big jumps but i'm in under no illusion I'm not on the decline competitively.
In a little over a year (and 1800miles) of Emtb ownership I don't think i've ridden anywhere i hadn't already ridden. Infact. If I go somewhere new it's normally with younger non-Ebike enduro/trail riders so I don't use an Ebike.
I've also been riding in the local area; SE and Central Scotland, Borders and highlands since the early 90s so there actually arent all that many places I've not ridden. Could do with getting back to Wales again sometime this year though.
Exploring/finding new trails is nothing new to me. I'm kinda old skool and still don't use trailforks or strava to find trails and rely on word of mouth. Knowing a lot of other trail builders helps massively there though.
One thing the Emtb does massively help with is motivation to head out building. it's just so easy to access a trail you're working on and kart tools about.

I don't think the Emtb has helped me with progression at all but it did need an adjustment (my riding style and the bike) to allow me to get the thing to ride like a non-Ebike. I do really enjoy learning/re-learning technique, skills and subtlties and transferring them to different bikes. alway have.

For me the emtb is just another option.
I still love (and regularly ride) my roadbike. my BMX, my hardtails, my enduro bike and my (no longer used enough) DH bikes and slopestyle bike

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
No not for me. (if I understand the question properly)

But i'm fast aproaching 50 and have ridden mtb for around 30 years and rode DH and hit 50ft+ jumps for 20+ of those years.
I've not given up on progression or anything but my priority is 100% about fun over the clock now. I'm still a decent, stylish (and modest) rider and still ride DH and hit big jumps but i'm in under no illusion I'm not on the decline competitively.
In a little over a year (and 1800miles) of Emtb ownership I don't think i've ridden anywhere i hadn't already ridden. Infact. If I go somewhere new it's normally with younger non-Ebike enduro/trail riders so I don't use an Ebike.
I've also been riding in the local area; SE and Central Scotland, Borders and highlands since the early 90s so there actually arent all that many places I've not ridden. Could do with getting back to Wales again sometime this year though.
Exploring/finding new trails is nothing new to me. I'm kinda old skool and still don't use trailforks or strava to find trails and rely on word of mouth. Knowing a lot of other trail builders helps massively there though.
One thing the Emtb does massively help with is motivation to head out building. it's just so easy to access a trail you're working on and kart tools about.

I don't think the Emtb has helped me with progression at all but it did need an adjustment (my riding style and the bike) to allow me to get the thing to ride like a non-Ebike. I do really enjoy learning/re-learning technique, skills and subtlties and transferring them to different bikes. alway have.

For me the emtb is just another option.
I still love (and regularly ride) my roadbike. my BMX, my hardtails, my enduro bike and my (no longer used enough) DH bikes and slopestyle bike
Exactly what I would have guessed. As I said in my notes, I would assume a "yes" is more typical for newer riders. 20+ years does not qualify as newbie, even if you are young at heart :p

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
I’ve gone with no.
The eBike hasn’t changed what I ride, but it has changed how much of it I ride which in turn has lead to better skills and more extreme riding.
Which would support my conclusion for newbies, in the sense that anyone riding an emtb will ride more, get better and thereby more extreme and thereby needing a more capable bike, right?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
No, beause the bike you buy should suit the riding you do, and that should always be the guiding factor - if you are not riding anything technical you dont need a 170mm enduro bike.

Reactions: Dax

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
is it possible for newbies on any bike not to progress to riding more difficult features/learning new skills though?
assuming they keep riding regularly

I have a group of friends (mid to late 30s) getting back into normal mtb after years of not riding at all (since teens) Their fast progression and keenness to improve is pretty awesome to see

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
Plus you’re assuming the super long travel bikes are the only bikes that are capable for enduro riding! Definitely not true. My Merida is 160/120 and I regularly ride all the most techy diwnhill trails in my area. The short travel rear end makes for a super engaging ride. It‘s also a heap of fun on stuff where a long travel bike would be a drag.

That being said, I get where you are coming from a for some people I’d say you’re right on the money. Others, not so much!

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
No, beause the bike you buy should suit the riding you do, and that should always be the guiding factor - if you are not riding anything technical you dont need a 170mm enduro bike.
Fair enough! i didn't mean going to extremes jumping from 100mm hardtail to 64º-180mm-FS-DH, but I think if the surveys go towards "yes" it would make sense for many newbies to at least consider 140mm, FS and dropper, even if they have never done any real trails. However, your point is definitely valid.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
i'm not sure the answers to this poll are useful to a new prospective emtb buyer at all.
the discussion is though.

+ Wot R120 said (Dude's pretty much always spot on TBF)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think the geometry is far more important than the total travel, I would always choose a bike based off the geometry first, as not pint buying something with full fox factory suspension if the geometry isn't right for you.

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
is it possible for newbies on any bike not to progress to riding more difficult features/learning new skills though?
assuming they keep riding regularly

I have a group of friends (mid to late 30s) getting back into normal mtb after years of not riding at all (since teens) Their fast progression and keenness to improve is pretty awesome to see
Obviously, if you ride anything you improve. My point is that my firends and myself have improved much quicker on the etmb and started "looking for trouble" much quicker than my mtb friends.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Plus you’re assuming the super long travel bikes are the only bikes that are capable for enduro riding! Definitely not true. My Merida is 160/120 and I regularly ride all the most techy diwnhill trails in my area. The short travel rear end makes for a super engaging ride. It‘s also a heap of fun on stuff where a long travel bike would be a drag.
Dude I've been riding Innerleithen glofie (Enduro) trails and national Dh tracks every winter for decades on a 100mm dirtjump hardtail.
One thing emtb means is a 170mm (somlong as it's a good supportive suspension platform) adds very little weight or hinderance.
My 170mm Vitus is probably lighter, almost definitley runs faster rolling tyres and is as good a pedaller as your 120mm Merida so considering they have the same motor it's no more of a drag.

I've ridden the Merida (briefly) and wouldn't ever want one.
Don't take that personally though it's just my preference

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Fair enough! i didn't mean going to extremes jumping from 100mm hardtail to 64º-180mm-FS-DH, but I think if the surveys go towards "yes" it would make sense for many newbies to at least consider 140mm, FS and dropper, even if they have never done any real trails. However, your point is definitely valid.

I think for most people riding, mine included, a 140/150mm travel bike is spot on, though I do find the latest crop of analog 120/140mm 29'r bikes with slack geometry very interesting, such as the Giant Trance Advanced or the Whyte T-130. I would be very interested in a similar spec EMTB, with the fazua motor.

Mountain biking is like any other activity, in that the more you do it the better you get and the more confident you get, and EMTBs tend to let people ride more, and as a result get better

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
I think the geometry is far more important than the total travel, I would always choose a bike based off the geometry first, as not pint buying something with full fox factory suspension if the geometry isn't right for you.
Another fair point! To me the point is that a newbie should consider going a step slacker, a step longer and include a dropper if they havent already compared to the original idea becasue progression is so fast. Not reinivent themselves from A-Z.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I also think that all modern mountain bikes form decent brands are so capable, that as long as you get a bike that fits it shouldn't hold you back - even the base level models these days have suspension and components that would have put a high end bike to shame 5 years ago - its very hard to buy a bad bike these days.

You can go to Halfords an buy a FS Boardman for 1k, out a dropper post on, and have a bike that shreds, or go to Go outdoors and buy a Calibre Boss-nut and do the same.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Obviously, if you ride anything you improve. My point is that my firends and myself have improved much quicker on the etmb and started "looking for trouble" much quicker than my mtb friends.

so in actual fact it's riding more that has progressed all of you faster?
Fair enough
there's no disputing you'll get more of the fun/technical side of riding in on an emtb than an mtb in the same time.
although I have mates who ride a lot more than most emtb riders and you'd need 2 or 3 batteries to manage the same riding as some of their longer standard weekly mtb rides.

Progression is cool. however you get there.

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
Dude I've been riding Innerleithen glofie (Enduro) trails and national Dh tracks every winter for decades on a 100mm dirtjump hardtail.
One thing emtb means is a 170mm (somlong as it's a good supportive suspension platform) adds very little weight or hinderance.
My 170mm Vitus is probably lighter, almost definitley runs faster rolling tyres and is as good a pedaller as your 120mm Merida so considering they have the same motor it's no more of a drag.

I've ridden the Merida (briefly) and wouldn't ever want one.
Don't take that personally though it's just my preference

I suppose when I said “drag” I was more meaning regarding geo than anything - as @R120 mentioned - given longer travel bikes are *generally* slacker etc.
But like you said - you can ride DH and especially enduro on nearly any decent quality modern MTB. And that was my point - I think people get a bit too obsessed with travel! Skill will serve you better than an extra 1cm travel.

And lucky it’s my bike not yours then ?

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
so in actual fact it's riding more that has progressed all of you faster?
Fair enough
there's no disputing you'll get more of the fun/technical side of riding in on an emtb than an mtb in the same time.
although I have mates who ride a lot more than most emtb riders and you'd need 2 or 3 batteries to manage the same riding as some of their longer standard weekly mtb rides.

Progression is cool. however you get there.
Exactly. Whatever the reason, emtb is faster progression which means you want more from the bike. That meant all my friends ended up wanting FS, semi slack, dropper bikes within the first 6 months of buying their 120mm hardtail. So, they should have bough the FS from the begnning. EDIT: all my friends and I were new to trail riding 2 years ago which is whom the result of this poll was intented for.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think its worth pointing out that pretty much all of the latest bikes, from XC to DH are now slacker and longer than ever, and that bikes the media refer to as being super slack and long really are that, and are not for everyone.

Modern bikes are far more forgiving than ever, and some of the longer bikes only really come into their own when riding fast and hard.

Its the same with top end suspension parts, in that they are designed to operate best when being ridden very fast over rough terrain, and the set up you read about in a lot of reviews is actually not going to be suitable for more average riding.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Exactly. Whatever the reason, emtb is faster progression which means you want more from the bike. That meant all my friends ended up wanting FS, semi slack, dropper bikes within the first 6 months of buying their 120mm hardtail. So, they should have bough the FS from the begnning.
so exactly the same as all the local kids I know round here
Who all started off riding in the woods at around 14yrs old on Carerra sort of level hardtails
then started building jumps etc.
progressed to Dirt jump and FS trail bikes
the building progressed to proper dirt jumps, proper steep tech, DH and enduro tracks and building big gaps/hips etc.
the riding progressed to more advanced trails and racing in local mini (junior) DH/Enduro events
a year and a half later at 15/16 a good proportion of them will be racing nationals in Enduro and DH .

You'll actaully struggle to find any genuinely advanced Emtb riders here.
Ebikes just aren't seen as cool in this area. SE/Borders Scotland.
Enduro and DH is.

Might be different wherever you are granted.

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
I am turning the poll into a question: If a rider change to a more agressive riding style within the first 6 months of buying an emtb, how would that change the setup of the bike?

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
I am turning the poll into a question: If a rider change to a more agressive riding style within the first 6 months of buying an emtb, how would that change the setup of the bike?
I thought your original poll was helpful - just encouraging newbies to consider their current needs v future needs given they may prgress faster than expected.

Reactions: iXi

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I should clarify longer travel, not longer wheelbase. But I think your answer will be the same :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
like i said already. I don't feel longer travel on an Emtb is necessarily the crutch to mediocre riding terrain it is on a non-Ebike.
Most 170mm bikes are a joy to climb on these days in comparison to a few years ago (Eeb or mtb). Suspension kinematics these days are often so well thought out/engineered that a lot of longer travel bikes pedal as well as older shorter travel bikes did without compromising suspension performance and on top of this longer travel can always be run stiffer/more supportive. Whereas shorter travel is limited to what it is.

In reality tyre choice makes a bigger difference.

My notifications are well into double figues so I'm off to get a life.
Well... at least ride a bike

adios amigos!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles