Surrey Hills proofing your Bosch cx

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
Picking up my Overvolt AM 600i soon which I will be riding at the Surrey hills, from my of riding there the 3 b’s of brake bearings bottom brackets get knackered really quickly!! After a wet ride I will usually pull my crank and service my BB, how feasible or necessary is it to pull the bearings covers after a wet ride on the Bosch Cx motor.

Max

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
You service your BB every wet ride? Seems like a huge overkill. Look at the threads and posts by @Bearing Man, he knows what to do with the Bosch motors.

Last edited:

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Picking up my Overvolt AM 600i soon which I will be riding at the Surrey hills, from my of riding there the 3 b’s of brake bearings bottom brackets get knackered really quickly!! After a wet ride I will usually pull my crank and service my BB, how feasible or necessary is it to pull the bearings covers after a wet ride on the Bosch Cx motor.

Max
Hi Max,
Once you put silicone grease behind the Bosch bearing seal, it will usually last about a month if you are riding in proper nasty conditions. But, if you are riding in nasty stuff, pack the left and right crank bearings too! Don't pressure wash or direct a powerful hose directly at the bearings and you should be ok.
I ride through a LOT of deep water and large puddles and floods with no issues, I do hose my motor off with the rest of my bike but I use a hook and compressed air to clean out all the twigs, leaves and crap around my sprocket.

017.JPG 019.JPG 020.JPG

Last edited:

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
Hi Cheers for the advice will definitely get all my seals greased up!

@MattyB It is probably a bit of over kill on my bb servicing I find the sandy conditions I ride in incredibly destructive on the bearings, what I tend to find is that the ABEC 3 bearings will need a bit of attention and the angular contact bearings seem not to suffer with water ingression.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Hi Cheers for the advice will definitely get all my seals greased up!

@MattyB It is probably a bit of over kill on my bb servicing I find the sandy conditions I ride in incredibly destructive on the bearings, what I tend to find is that the ABEC 3 bearings will need a bit of attention and the angular contact bearings seem not to suffer with water ingression.
Just ensure you don't use the any "MAX" designation ABEC 3 bearings in your motor and ensure, like ours, the main motor bearing on the BB has LL seals and you should be ok.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles