Surprise, surprise, it worked.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I realise a lot of us are happy with the 15mph cut out here in the UK but I find it a bit of a nuisance at times. I don't want to charge around at 20mph everywhere but I would like to be able to keep up with my pedalling mates on flat trails and roads. I also don't like the constant cutting in and out of the motor on fast single tracks.

I would use the 'Steps Unlocker' app for the US speed limit if I had an android device, but I don't, and I didn't fancy paying £100 plus for a 'Speedbox' device.

That just left the cheap speed sensor hack. So, rather than disturb the existing wiring on my Focus Jam2, I bought a new 340mm speed sensor cable for £25 and fitted this. It took me about twenty minutes to fit properly, (I tested it losely first not really expecting it to work as I had heard Shimano had 'fixed' against this.)

To my great surprise, it works beautifully. 22mph in eco without too much effort but, more importantly, no dipping in and out of the motor just when you need its help.

Ok, so the Shimano display is now pretty useless, but I always have a Garmin on my bars so that is no real problem

I've left the original speed sensor in place and could easily re-install this at the trailside in five minutes if necessary.

Last edited:

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
what has it done to the range?

Don't know yet as I only fixed it this lunchtime and just did ten miles testing

Obviously, indiscriminate usage will nail the battery but I don't intend to be flying around at 20mph all the time. Range is a concern though as I have always found it a bit of an issue with my Focus.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles