Sub zero issues ?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Anything to be careful about in sub zero temperatures?

Isn’t metal supposed to be more brittle when cold?

Could a motor component, drive train / spoke break more easily or even the bike frame snap?

The door of my car froze once and when I tried to open it the handle snapped off in my hand because the metal was so brittle.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You should be ok. Ideally start off with the battery at room temperature, rather than -10 and your range shouldn't drop too much. Start with a cold battery and your range will drop considerably and you won't get any high assistance.

If anything does get frozen solid, try not to tear it off with your inhuman bee strength. Pee on it first, then try. Unless it's the Mrs frozen to something, she might not appreciate the solution.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Thanks for all the advice but unfortunately I can’t get the key into the lock of my bike shed. It seems to be frozen solid. Trying a hair dryer on it unless someone has a better plan.

update:- hairdryer worked a treat ?
Southern softy now ready to tackle the fire tracks of Surrey on his entry level hardtail

Last edited:

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Check you hosepipe hasn't frozen - I went for a ride the other day, bike covered in crap and no way to clean it down, had to desert to the old bucket and sponge from the kitchen tap.

Dude you need to get with the times. I’m running hot and cold outside.

The dog seems to like me a lot more since I’ve had the hot installed and not blasting her with icy water ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Check you hosepipe hasn't frozen - I went for a ride the other day, bike covered in crap and no way to clean it down, had to desert to the old bucket and sponge from the kitchen tap.
LOL. I did the same the other day when I got back soaked and my clothes were solidifying in the cold. I then muppeted about for ages trying to clear the hose with lots of shaking, flexing and running water in from both ends .. I got there in the end, but it would have been far quicker and easier to get a bucket from inside. The annoying part was that I thought I'd drained the hose last time I used it - obviously not very well !!

Never used to have this problem at the old house with hot water horse showers.. I might have to make some Jimbo Cabin upgrades this year !

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
Dude you need to get with the times. I’m running hot and cold outside.

The dog seems to like me a lot more since I’ve had the hot installed and not blasting her with icy water ?
"DANGER WILL ROBINSON" or any else I guess. Hot water will cause any salt to increase its reaction rate, never wash your car or bike in hot water unless you are going for the pateenered look.

Last edited:

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Thanks for all the advice but unfortunately I can’t get the key into the lock of my bike shed. It seems to be frozen solid. Trying a hair dryer on it unless someone has a better plan.

update:- hairdryer worked a treat ?
Southern softy now ready to tackle the fire tracks of Surrey on his entry level hardtail
Next time, use a freezer bag filled with hot water. Or a ziploc

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
"DANGER WILL ROBINSON" or any else I guess. Hot water will cause any salt to increase its reaction rate, never wash your career bike in hot water unless you are going for the pateenered look.

I had to Google that. Bit before my time ?

Do not fear. It’s got an internal mixer pre set so it’s not Hot. But it is nice and warm which is great for washing the car, bike, dog and me!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles