STUnlocker iOS App for Shimano motors is available

Laffe

Jul 23, 2020
Norway
Hi there.
I have the e6100 motor and the sc-e6100 computer, so I have no wireless or Bluetooth option on the bike.
i can buy the cable to connect to Pc, but Shimano also sells a wireless “dongle” so that I can get bluetooth options. Is this something that will work with your app? It does work with the original E-TUBE app.
i have also upgraded to iOS 14 beta. Any idea if that works on your app? If not I have my iPad I can use

thanks for your time. Your app looks great.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Hi there.
I have the e6100 motor and the sc-e6100 computer, so I have no wireless or Bluetooth option on the bike.
i can buy the cable to connect to Pc, but Shimano also sells a wireless “dongle” so that I can get bluetooth options. Is this something that will work with your app? It does work with the original E-TUBE app.
i have also upgraded to iOS 14 beta. Any idea if that works on your app? If not I have my iPad I can use

thanks for your time. Your app looks great.

- Don't but the PC interface, it's the wrong equipment for this application.

- I'm currently using ST Unlocker with iOS 14 b3 and it seems to be working fine.

- If by "wireless dongle" you're referring to the Shimano EW-EN100, I am also using that instead of a standard display on my DU-E8000.
A quick look at the E6100 series dealer manual shows that the DU-E6100 drive unit is compatible with the EW-EN100, so it should work for you as well.

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
Hi had an iPhone 7 last year and the app worked. Have now changed to iPhone se and after recent shimano update app no longer connects to bike either using new or old phone.
Any suggestions
Alan

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Hi had an iPhone 7 last year and the app worked. Have now changed to iPhone se and after recent shimano update app no longer connects to bike either using new or old phone.
Any suggestions
Alan
Yes. You changed bike's PIN during FW update and locked your bike. Enter that PIN code into App's settings

Shades

Jul 29, 2020
San Francisco
That's too bad, would have loved to have the ST Ride app for iOS. I don't know if there another way to report assist mode for like strava or map my ride or something else.

One thing I noticed with the app with my iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 13.6 is that I can't change the colors of the present buttons (might just be that I don't know how to do it).

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
One thing I noticed with the app with my iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 13.6 is that I can't change the colors of the present buttons (might just be that I don't know how to do it).
Click on color palette and hold the click, after one second you can move it to desired color

YorkshireDan

Dec 23, 2019
Thorne
Hello mate, have you got a fix for the app to work with the new firmware yet? Can't change any of the settings with 4.9.0. And in reference to the above, I changed phones and mine wouldn't connect to my new phone. I had to take it to my local dealer and use the PC interface to reset the passcode as it had been wiped for some reason.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Could someone tell me what this "new" firmware is offering that people feel the need to install it or is it being installed simply as a consequence of connecting to the e-tube app?
I have long held the view that if it ain't broke, don't fix but I am fearful of buggering things up by accident.
I currently have two bikes, both deristricted to US market settings, and despite the now ancient E8000 motor being bested by virtually every other motor, I wouldn't swap my up to 20 mph assistance for anything. Those lucky old Yanks.

Last edited:

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Could someone tell me what this "new" firmware is offering that people feel the need to install it or is it being installed as a consequence of simply connecting to the e-tube app?
I have long held the view that if it ain't broke, don't fix but I am fearful of buggering things up by accident.

Most people just see "Hey! New Firmware available!" when they connect E-Tube and just let it update even if they don't need to.

Kram

Jul 20, 2020
BC
I have the paid version and it is awesome for my Decoy.
I'm going to be getting a bike with the EP8 reasonably soon. Does this app work for changing the wheel circumference with that as well? If so, do I need another license, or can I deregister my current motor and register a new one? Thanks

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I'm going to be getting a bike with the EP8 reasonably soon. Does this app work for changing the wheel circumference with that as well?
I don't have a bike with EP8. How can I support the new engine without having one? Is this possible for anyone?
If so, do I need another license, or can I deregister my current motor and register a new one? Thanks
Licence is per one bike's motor. It can't be transferred/canceled and etc.

Kram

Jul 20, 2020
BC
I don't have a bike with EP8. How can I support the new engine without having one? Is this possible for anyone?

I don't know you. How can I know what you have and don't have, or where you're at in the development. Is this possible for anyone?

Kram

Jul 20, 2020
BC
Jesus... if that's all it takes for you to feel "belittled," maybe stay off the Internet, buddy.
I was attempting to more subtly point out that his manner isn't very conducive to getting referrals, rather than calling him a douchebag. Maybe he's ESL or on the spectrum and actually a nice guy, but I guess I'll never know.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
I was attempting to more subtly point out that his manner isn't very conducive to getting referrals, rather than calling him a douchebag. Maybe he's ESL or on the spectrum and actually a nice guy, but I guess I'll never know.

To be fair, I really don't see any problem with his response to you. He answered your questions. You're the one who got over-sensitive or misinterpreted his reply to you incorrectly when it was really nothing. So it is what it is.

Back to what matters... EP8 is a whole different topic. Shimano has publically mentioned (without giving too many details) that they put "certain things in place" to recognize if software manipulation/derestriction has been done to the EP8 - most likely something buried in the system data logging that isn't accessible to the consumer. Some parameters might still be available such as wheel circumference (since that's part of the allowable variables in the firmware) but other parameters like adjusting power output/assist percentage, etc. are not continuously adjustable for the consumer. In other words, if you used an app to change the Turbo assist percentage to 250% but Shimano's E-Tube app doesn't even give you that option, then it's easy for Shimano to know that you used tweaking/derestriction software. That also means they (Shimano, authorized dealers) will most likely be able to deny/refuse any warranty obligations because of it.

It's still too early (since no one has an EP8 yet) but with whatever details are known so far, it seems as that the only way for a possible EP8 compatible ST Unlocker app (or similar) would mean the user/customer would definitely have to agree to void their warranty coverage 100% before considering the use the aftermarket tweaking/derestriction app.

As far as the current drive units are concerned, for the E-8000 (like what your Decoy has) stick to firmware 4.8.0 for now. the ST Unlocker app isn't compatible with recent Shimano 4.9.0 firmware yet (nor did it ever claim to be, the most recent ST Unlocker manual does specify compatibility up to 4.8.0 only).

Last edited:

Kram

Jul 20, 2020
BC
Raine,

I really appreciate your reasonable and thorough response. I was unaware that the EP8 was not available yet, as I had heard there was a recall and assumed that meant there were units in the public domain. The rest of the information you provided is much appreciated as well, thank you.

As for my response, I accept I should have ignored what I perceived as a condescending tone, as it's difficult to tell intent over text. I just would have appreciated a response that was perhaps even 10% as informative as what you just provided since it is useful to not only me, but everyone who happens to arrive here. It's his choice how to respond however he likes, and he'll get whatever benefit or otherwise from how he chooses to do so, and all the power to him. He's made a great app that I've recommended to friends who've downloaded it too, but I was questioning yesterday whether I would do so in the future. Thanks to your response, I will continue to do so.

I appreciate the time you've taken.

Cheers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles