STUnlocker iOS App for Shimano motors is available

AZRickD

Jan 21, 2020
Arizona
From the ST Unlocker web site:

ST Unlocker

Speed limiter change features (Premium license)
In most countries, the use of an derestricted bike is possible only in private areas or in specially designated areas. Check the legality of using derestricted bike in your area
  • Destination market (works for all firmwares including the latest 4.7.1 [for E8000], and 4.4.0 [for E6100 & E7000])
  • Circumference (works for all firmwares including the latest 4.7.1 [for E8000], and 4.4.0 [for E6100 & E7000])
  • Max Speed for each mode (works only for E8000 motor with E8000 display and with a firmware up to 4.3.2)
For the firmware newer than 4.3.2 [E8000] the best way to rise the Speed Limit is to change the destination market to US (32km/h). This method will maintain the correct odometer and speedometer readings.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
The previous comments (and the ST Unlocker site) said that (IIRC) The E7000 display required a firmware downgrade to get the speed settings to work. The E8000 display did not.

Just curious (but could be related)... are you asking about these specific components because you want to derestirct your eMTB and raise the speed limit beyond the 32 km/h limit?

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
From the ST Unlocker web site:

ST Unlocker

That says nothing specifically about the SC-E7000 display unit.

That said - If you want to go beyond 32 km/h limit you'll have to downgrade the DU-E8000 to firmware 4.3.2 (SC-E8000 firmware doesn't matter).

It would help if you actually told us what specific "20 20 eMTB" bike you ordered, instead of having to guess what equipment you have.

AZRickD

Jan 21, 2020
Arizona
Yes. Just a mild upgrade of speed into the high 20s would be fine.

I find that 20mph is useable most of the time, but on long, downslope connector trails/roads, I am in need of more speed when the non-eBikers in our group tend to take off.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Yes. Just a mild upgrade of speed into the high 20s would be fine.

I find that 20mph is useable most of the time, but on long, downslope connector trails/roads, I am in need of more speed when the non-eBikers in our group tend to take off.

If the non e-MTB riders "take off" at higher speeds, you're not pedaling hard enough haha j/k

So yeah - provided you have the correct equipment, you'll still have to downgrade the DU-E8000 to firmware 4.3.2 to be able to raise the restriction beyond 32 km/h.

AZRickD

Jan 21, 2020
Arizona
These guys are former team members (one a state single-speed champ). Before the eBike, I had to cheat to keep their dust in sight.

Okay, so I’ll have to downgrade the motor firmware. Then STunlock it. Then I have the option of upgrading back to current versions (?) I’m assuming there is something I might want to keep in the new firmware. Maybe motor behavior? Stability?

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
These guys are former team members (one a state single-speed champ). Before the eBike, I had to cheat to keep their dust in sight.

Okay, so I’ll have to downgrade the motor firmware. Then STunlock it. Then I have the option of upgrading back to current versions (?) I’m assuming there is something I might want to keep in the new firmware. Maybe motor behavior? Stability?

- It's not cheating unless you're racing, or lying about having an eMTB.

- "STUnlocker" doesn't actually "unlock" anything, it works like the stock Shimano E-Tube app but you get more settings to play with.

- Yes, if you have the DU-E8000 and want the higher derestriction limit of firmware 4.3.2, you'll have to downgrade at your own risk. If in the future you want to go forward to the current firmware, you just use the E-Tube app to download and install the most current firmware.

NOTE: if your bike comes with the SC-E7000 display, it might not be compatible with the DU-E8000 4.3.2 firmware... I haven't tried this combo personally but the firmware release notes for version 4.5.1 says "Adopted for the models, SC-E6100, SC-E7000 and EW-EN100" which kind of tells me that the DU-E8000 wasn't compatible with the SC-E7000 until firmware 4.5.1. I could be wrong though, maybe someone else can clear this up.

- If you go back to 4.3.2 you lose some bug fixes, maybe the "Dynamic Trail" function (I forgot what firmware version Dynamic Trail was included with).

fyndi

Feb 11, 2020
Finland
I am just wondering if it would be possible for developers to add one region more for firmware with fixed maximum speed. Like EU 25 km/h, US 32 km/h and other for ex. 40 km/h.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
I am just wondering if it would be possible for developers to add one region more for firmware with fixed maximum speed. Like EU 25 km/h, US 32 km/h and other for ex. 40 km/h.

That's not how it works. The region options are in the firmware.

Think about it - if it was that easy to "make up a new region" then it would have been done a long time ago with no speed limit for zero restriction.

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Did anyone figure out how to downgrade bike fw using E-TUBE app only? The almighty obviously knew but without Devine intervention it wasn’t obvious. Just thought I’d reach out again :)(y)

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
You only need 3 things:

1. The E-TUBE app on a compatible mobile device.
- E-TUBE is the app that you use to install the downgraded firmware.

2. USB cable and computer to transfer files to mobile.
- You need one of the following to put the downgraded firmware files on your mobile device, depending on what mobile device you're using; if on iOS you need a Lightning-to-USB cable, a Mac or Macbook, and the iFunbox app for MacOS. If on Android you need the matching USB cable and a Windows PC/Laptop only.

3. Firmware files.
- Finally, you need the actual downgraded firmware files.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
New version with Panic/Preset widgets and shortcuts was uploaded to AppStore
IMG_0035.PNG

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

I have a Focus Jam 2 with Shimano E8000 display and motor. This time last year I downloaded the Steps unlocker app, and purchased the license. I simply changed country to USA, set the exact wheel circumference and tinkered with the assist settings slightly and all was great.

Unfortunately after a while the motor gave up the ghost, NOTHING TO DO WITH THE APP, and was eventually replaced under warranty.

I have since bought the STUnlocker app and recently, a license for the new motor. I changed the same settings and all is great again.

So, whilst I would describe myself as an IT halfwit, I am at least capable of loading Vadll's software.

My problem is, I also have a Canyon Spectral on 6 which has an E7000 display and an E8000 motor and whilst I can load the Shimano e-Tube app onto this bike, I am struggling with STUnlocker. I get an error message saying that the pin number is wrong. I can't believe I would have changed the pin number from the stock 000000 but is there any way of checking what it is through E-Tube?

Or, is there something obvious I am doing wrong?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Thanks Vadll.

Yes, I read the troubleshooting section until I was cross-eyed (up to the point where it mentions PCE and dealers at least).
But sometimes it is just good to talk and once it seemed I was not missing anything obvious (I'm sure you would have pointed that out to me if I was) then there was only one thing left, the pin number and that is what it was.

I have no idea how it got changed but hey, I am over seventy and am getting used to forgetting more things than I remember.

Anyway, thanks for the extra five miles per hour, just love it.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
i was bying a license and it was sooo easy to setup and chance region from eu to usa.

Really recommend stunlocker , easy to buy license and easy setup.

PaulE

Jun 17, 2020
Telford
I'd love to change my E-Sommet to the US settings and Vadll's app sounds abolutely great, but I have almost a year to run on my E8000 warranty and I'm worried that I may invalidate this. Peaky Rider, when you had your motor issue sorted under warranty, did the changes you'd made cause you any difficulties? Thanks for any help, P

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I didn't go crazy with my motor, I just used STUnlocker, or Stepsunlocker as it was at the time, to change the market and a few power levels. Changed everything back to stock before returning it to LBS and the motor was replaced without issues.

PaulE

Jun 17, 2020
Telford
Thanks very much for your reply Peaky Rider. Like you, I'm no IT wizzkid, so that's very reassuring. Also, like you, I only want my bike to reach a max of 20mph. Have you found that the battery life is affected very much, compared to the original settings?
As my road cycling friends traditional bike can travel at speeds of 20+mph, I can't see any "real" safety issues in doing this modification indeed, when on roads having 30 and 40mph limits, I think that the speed increase probably leads to it being safer!

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
I’ve had my jam 2 running in USA 20mph settings for the past 600 miles. No effect on battery life and a much more pleasurable biking experience. Only negative is that any future e bike purchases I make are ruled by whether I can easily change it to USA speed limit. If it’s not a quick change without hardware then it doesn’t matter how good a bike or deal it is, I couldn’t consider it

I’ve recently changed my eco settings down to 50% support with 30nm of torque and can’t believe how well it still pushes me up to 20mph. Considering I have a small battery I’m seeing 35-40 miles per charge with plenty of climbing. A good 10-15 miles more than the factory settings

PaulE

Jun 17, 2020
Telford
Thanks Winryn for some good, detailed points, this upgrade sounds like a no-brainer to me.
My wife and I both have E-Sommet's, primarily because we're mid and late 60's, with serious back issues - the boss has had 2 ops and a trad bike was putting quite a strain on the lower back. Peddle assist gives us that bit of help, whilst still allowing us to get some really good exercise.
Our riding is very mixed, preferably woodland trails (pretty easy ones), cycleways and usually quieter roads. After 14 months of use I'm still getting around 60 miles/charge mixed use, but my wife's bike has dropped off recently to around 45. I've had the LBS check it over today, no obvious reason, the battery is excellent and we're hoping that a firmware update performed will bring it back up a bit. From what I've read, these ranges are pretty exceptional, but they are what Vitus suggested to us and we've been delighted with the battery and bike performance. Time now for a thorough read of the instruction manual on Vadll's site before I decide if I'm capable of installing the upgrade without screwing the bike up.
Thanks once again for all of the great info on this excellent site.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Thanks Winryn for some good, detailed points, this upgrade sounds like a no-brainer to me.
My wife and I both have E-Sommet's, primarily because we're mid and late 60's, with serious back issues - the boss has had 2 ops and a trad bike was putting quite a strain on the lower back. Peddle assist gives us that bit of help, whilst still allowing us to get some really good exercise.
Our riding is very mixed, preferably woodland trails (pretty easy ones), cycleways and usually quieter roads. After 14 months of use I'm still getting around 60 miles/charge mixed use, but my wife's bike has dropped off recently to around 45. I've had the LBS check it over today, no obvious reason, the battery is excellent and we're hoping that a firmware update performed will bring it back up a bit. From what I've read, these ranges are pretty exceptional, but they are what Vitus suggested to us and we've been delighted with the battery and bike performance. Time now for a thorough read of the instruction manual on Vadll's site before I decide if I'm capable of installing the upgrade without screwing the bike up.
Thanks once again for all of the great info on this excellent site.

It is super easy , i dident event need to downgrade my software , i just installed the app and fixed license and then chance region in app.

So it is ok i promise you are not gonna skrew the bike up.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Thanks very much for your reply Peaky Rider. Like you, I'm no IT wizzkid, so that's very reassuring. Also, like you, I only want my bike to reach a max of 20mph. Have you found that the battery life is affected very much, compared to the original settings?
As my road cycling friends traditional bike can travel at speeds of 20+mph, I can't see any "real" safety issues in doing this modification indeed, when on roads having 30 and 40mph limits, I think that the speed increase probably leads to it being safer!

I guess if you hurtle around at 19mph for the entire ride, your battery will suffer, but I doubt you will, I don't, so I haven't encountered any noticeable range loss.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
I'd love to change my E-Sommet to the US settings and Vadll's app sounds abolutely great, but I have almost a year to run on my E8000 warranty and I'm worried that I may invalidate this. Peaky Rider, when you had your motor issue sorted under warranty, did the changes you'd made cause you any difficulties? Thanks for any help, P

Don't overthink it. Too many people show up in this thread (or the Android thread) and completely overthink this app and what it can do.

ST Unlocker used in its most basic form just gives you the same basic adjustments as E-Tube but with a finer grain.

In your case, there's nothing to worry about; changing the market setting to a different market does not make the drive system perform any harder than it was made to, simply because if you were in that other market already then that setting would be standard. Does that make sense?

Not to say there are other features of the app that can increase wear and tear... but just because the other "derestricting" features are there, it doesn't mean you have to use them.

PaulE

Jun 17, 2020
Telford
Thank you Rust, Peaky and raine, all very reassuring, helpful comments and yes, raine, it does make complete sense. I'll get reading tomorrow and take it from there.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles