STUnlocker iOS App for Shimano motors is available

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
lt worked fine on my STEPs E8000

Has anyone actually tried updating the firmware again after changing the settings.

So, downgraded from 4.9 to 4.8
Change wheel circumference and set to US maximum speed
Then re installed the later 4.9 firmware?

I believe the new settings are retained (although you can no longer modify them) when you do this, but l wanted confirmation from someone who has actually done it on the STEPS 8000

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l don't know to be honest. Maybe someone who has upgraded to the latest FW can tell me if there are any improvements

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
l don't know to be honest. Maybe someone who has upgraded to the latest FW can tell me if there are any improvements

Just wondered why people rush to 'upgrade'? I don't, at least not intentionally, unless I know it's improving or remedying something of importance.

If it is working well, whatever it is, just leave it alone.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
lt's alright except the initial power delivery in "TURBO" is not smooth, when you start pedalling.
Sometimes FW updates cure this kind of thing.

Keith77

Nov 14, 2019
Scotland
You can use the App with any motor.
Hi Vadll, I've bought a new motor to replace one that has a persistent E010 error, do I need to purchase a license again, or can I connect my app to the new motor as it is? so I can set up the correct wheel circumference, etc?

Is that the only thing I need to change on a new motor? I have no idea what the standard settings of a new motor are.

Thanks

Keith

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
You may be better to send a PM, as posting on here relies on the recipient generally browsing the forum to see your message, unless they have notifications turned on.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Hi Vadll, I've bought a new motor to replace one that has a persistent E010 error, do I need to purchase a license again, or can I connect my app to the new motor as it is? so I can set up the correct wheel circumference, etc?

Is that the only thing I need to change on a new motor? I have no idea what the standard settings of a new motor are.

Thanks

Keith

If you want to see the standard settings, use E-Tube.

RE: licensing for the premium features - moving to a new motor is just a matter of changing the licensing to the new motor serial and disabling the old license, if he's okay with it. Send the PM to him and ask.

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
Hi
Been using STunlocker as could not get Shinao app to work, neither could suppling dealer.
Motor now dislpaying E010 error and will not switch on. Dealer ran diagnostic which shows motor has been tampered with. They will not send motor to Shimano/Madison as they say using STunlocker has invalidated the warranty.
Has anyone esle had similar experience, is there a way round this?
Thanks

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
1. What a bike?
2. What did you change using STUnlocker?
3. How long did you ride your bike before you got E010?
4. Why did you say to your dealer that you use STUnlocker?

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
1. What a bike?
2. What did you change using STUnlocker?
3. How long did you ride your bike before you got E010?
4. Why did you say to your dealer that you use STUnlocker?
  1. Focus Jam2
  2. reduced assistance levels
  3. about 1 year
  4. They asked due to diagnostic report showing motor had been tampered with.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
  1. Focus Jam2
  2. reduced assistance levels
  3. about 1 year
  4. They asked due to diagnostic report showing motor had been tampered with.
E8000 motor? Anyway, they asked because they found that assist levels were not the same as Shimano default presets. Change assist levels to default and find another dealer. As sad as it may sound, you yourself confessed to them. And yes, the fact that you lowered the assist settings did not affect the life of the motor in any way. It's just because shimano / dealers are such freaks. They must prove to you the reason for the failure of the motor.

p.s. E010 can be related with a bad electrical connection between battery and motor. Check all connectors first (battery holder and etc)

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow
Yes e8000
Finding another dealer willing to work on it may not be easy. Most shops in my area are currently only working on bikes they originally supplied.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Hi
Been using STunlocker as could not get Shinao app to work, neither could suppling dealer.
Motor now dislpaying E010 error and will not switch on. Dealer ran diagnostic which shows motor has been tampered with. They will not send motor to Shimano/Madison as they say using STunlocker has invalidated the warranty.
Has anyone esle had similar experience, is there a way round this?
Thanks

Sounds like the dealer is making an excuse, Stunlocker is no different to the Shimano app (l've got both) unless you've paid the £30 for the premium version and changed the wheel circumference to something like 24"

Changing the assist limit to 20mph should make no difference to motor life because in the USA the same motor has that limit set as standard.

Did you have the standard version of Stunlocker or the £30 premium version?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles