• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Unable to download the windows application. The link which is sent says it is invalid.

Can you post a direct link

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
Perfect, thank you.

I have just changed to a larger chain ring so i have updated the size setting. Do you know what effect this setting has?

mdtansel

Sep 9, 2019
Turkey
Review from Turkey,
Hi, I am new in this forum. I joined this forum to write a review about Steps-Unlocker.
I bought a bike equipped with Shimano e7000 last week. Searched to unlock speed limits of motor and your forum is the most sited web resource.
Chip solutions are not for me because of guarantee issues. So I looked for software versions. Steps-Unlocker is the most sited solution so I looked for reviews and YouTube videos.
In the apple store app cost like one dollar, but without a license, all you can do is to review bikes info.
There is a license link in the app. After you click it app opens an email to [email protected] and want to send info of the bike Model/ Firmware/Serial. After sending an email I immediately get a link to pay for a license. I paid 33$ (approx. 30euros) to license and immediately get an email for a license. When you click in the link at the email it opens the app (StepsUnlocker) in the phone and new sections appear in the program to unlock speed.
First I changed my region to US and the speed limit changed from 25 to 32km/h. Then I changed tire size from 27.5 to smaller diameter. By doing this you can trick the bike that while it is going like 40-50 the speed reading on the bike is lower. “Speed setting” section in the app doesn’t work with e7000. But as I told earlier I don’t need this because I can increase the speed limit view region and tire size.
My bike has 10 gears at the rear wheel and doesn’t have front gear. So by even changing the region my bike reached its max speed and cannot go faster because of the lack of enough gears.
After I tried to change assist settings. This part is a little confusing I have to get in touch with vadll and he helps me. I learned that in my situation (IOS 12.4/ Du-E7000 / SC-E7000 / 4.4.0 / 4.0.6) maximum assist level is limited to %250 at any torque. If you select anything above 250 the bike doesn’t save your request. As I don’t want to be too hard to the motor I don’t need to assist over %250 and it is not a problem for me.
I want to thank Vadll for this app. Keep going.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Hi vadll, is there any chance of a new feature to adjust the power output for the walk function? Many thanks for the awesome product
It's not changeable by unknown reasons. I've released version before, but no one was able to change it

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I picked up the license for this yesterday and it works just as described by other users. I'm running FW ver 4.6 on E8000 motor and by changing wheel circumference to 1500mm was able to take the motor close to 28 MPH before it cut out, effectively making it "Class 3". Of course I did my test on private land and while tempting to use on trails, I think the normal 20 MPH limit (~2200mm 27.5 rear) is more than enough for most standard MTB single track. For a couple places I ride (private woods loops made for dirt bikes) with undulating terrain the speed boost could be fantastic, just will have to be wary of the huge ruts ;)

One thing I did notice in trail and boost is that the acceleration seems to be quicker, anyone else agree with that assessment?

What others may find useful is that the difference between 2200mm and 1500mm circumference approximately represents a 7-8 MPH top speed variance, lower circumference = higher top speed. You need to download the app on your phone, connect with BT and then send for license. ~$33 USD and then the circumference becomes editable.

Use a Garmin or other GPS device to monitor true speed as the shimano display/sensor is being tricked into reading a lower speed thus the gain.

Lawson

Mar 11, 2019
UK
I did this yesterday and it works fantastically, but the diagnostics worried me a bit.
I haven't ridden it very much at all, but my battery health percentage is really low. Does this mean anything or am I worrying about nothing?

Screenshot_20190915_215206_com.stepsunlocker.app.stepsunlockerr.jpg

BackHol3

Aug 26, 2019
Finland
I bought this Steps Unlocker app for my Focus Jam2 9.6 Plus 2019(shimano e8000, firmware 4.7), everything works. I changed the EU to US and wheel size 2.9" ==> 2.6". Bike is now what it should been in first place! Stupid ass Eu restrictions. Thanks OP for great app!

Tuplis

Mar 16, 2019
Finland
Out of interest, have you found that your range is still accurate? Cheers Mike

This might be offtopic, but if you mean range in the display, it's accurate when you learn how it works. I'd say that range is accurate(ish) when you pedal moderatly at current mode what youre using. Roughly when I go "full throttle", I count half of display reading as my actual range.

25-65km is my typical actual range at single tracks using eco/trail mode.

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
I used the ios Steps Unlocker to roll back my firmware back to 4.6 from 4.7. I sent my license request and on the licence reply that tells you what buying the license will enable you to do. Mine says that I would be able to change the speeds once I downgraded the firmware. It did not say anything about being able to change to the US market speed, which is what I would like to do. Would I have to bring my firmware back to 4.7 to do this first. Thank you.

robert

Dec 12, 2018
scotland
Why do you have the e7000 display on your bike?

Yes, that is similar to eMax's limitations. Shimano have made changes to their firmware so it's harder to hack. Firmware 4.3.2 or earlier can be completely unrestricted but above this the only method is to change region to USA 32kph and/or change the wheel circumference.

I've not wanted to downgrade my firmware so I've swapped mine to USA 32kph and I've reduced the wheel circumference by 10%. This effectively moves the limit from 25kph to 35kph. On the trails, 25kph was frustrating and left me wanting a little more I'm happy with this for now, it's a decent increase and my speed/trip metre are only slighly altered by the 10% change.

I am interested to try the power limit changes. After speaking with the creator of eMax he doesn't allow this in their app yet as they say it's detectable and voids warranty. Eplus flash unlocks the power limit to 550w. I am unsure if this is a "safe" limit they decided on? Though i would assume if Shimano have the option to turn it up to 600w the drive unit should be capable but they have probably limited it to 500w for longevity.

If the e8000 power can be lifted to 550 or 600w that's a cool 10 or 20% increase.

robert

Dec 12, 2018
scotland
So, I have tested the STEPSUnlocker - thanks a lot to Vadll for the great program and sending a free valid licence key!
I had 4.6.1 firmware and modified to US version (32km/h) and increased power in Boost mode to 600W yesterday which worked perfectly on the first run.
This morning I had a long test ride with the bike and after approx. 30 minutes in hard terrain, my motor stopped working and the display switched off in middle of riding the bike.
The motor was quite hot at this time, so I waited some minutes.
I tried to restart and the display then only showed the initial "Shimano steps".
Also additional attempts failed...
After walking quite a long way home with the bike, I then tried to access with STEPSunlocker which failed.
Then I tried to connect with eTube from Shimano and this program detected a broken drive unit (DU) and also could not connect to the motor - all other components were shown (derailleur, display, switches)
So I went to my dealer and he asked me quite suddenly if I had made "any modification" on my bike. Because I know my dealer quite well I told him that I used the tuningtool and he told me that the motor maybe could get broken due to the higher power limit.
Unfortunately we could not reset the power limit back to the old, original value, because we could not connect any more to the system.
So my dealer tries to get a new motor from Shimano and the motor is aready dismounted from the bike and on the way to Shimano, but for sure this is not the thing we expected.
So I hope that I will get a repaiered or new motor (on warranty?) and hopefully not have to wait that long...
Hope this does not happen to somebody else...

robert

Dec 12, 2018
scotland
Software works perfect for me. I would say it's easier to use than emax/freemax/minimax which is annoyingly split into 3 different programs you have to download.

All the parameters work and are easy to change. Did 28km of trails yesterday and tested the motor out with the 500w limit increased which provided a nice little boost in power. Battery range great, and with the bike in trail mode it's still very smooth and easy to control.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Link is OK, currently I have some issues with a host (DNS related). Anyway, old site is still active (don't know how long it will be)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles