• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
True enough, and US market 19.5mph would probably do me too. You pay your money and take your chances I guess. Good to know it's working on EP8 though. 1000-miles on my E8000 with no issues. Will probably see if I can try and live with the restriction at first when the new bike comes, but I suspect I can't..

I'm finding 32 km/h just good enough and I believe I'm in the safe side in case of a warranty claim.

I will never understand the reason for the 25 km/h limitation in Europe, is just does not make sense .

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Supported for a what? All non-premium features are 100% supported for 4.9.0.
4.9.0 was released by Shimano to avoid derestriction, it's only one goal. So it's not possible to derestrict motor with 4.9.0 via Bluetooth

[mention]vadII [/mention]
Will I be able to change market setting from EU to US with 4.9.0?

I don’t want to mess with circumference anyway. Max 32km/h is perfectly fine for eMTB, where I ride.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
For EP8 owners:
Confirmed! EP8 has a log of "regulation changes". The motor stores date/time and new settings each time when region/market or circumference was changed
1608128958060.png

These changes was made by a dealer/distributor for USA market

MTBJay

Jul 20, 2020
UK
On Focus Jam2 I’m using the app which is saying the max power output is 500w , is this right as the spec of the unit is 250w , do I need to turn it down to 250 on the assist settings ?

DAA4065E-A24A-422E-AE18-8553E660A080.png

tumi

Jun 15, 2019
Finland
Having the possession of Can..:eek:n 9 and Tunturi Emax with e8000 motors + Paralene2 9.8 with Fazua (probably by mistake;), I actually hate road runners/driving) I have been wondering what kind of feature is the assist start modification advertised in the Shimano (E-TUBE PROJECT | E-TUBE) Youtube video at 0,59? Is it something to do with the motor angle or is it really something useful I have not seen with Mr Vadll's reply's as well not as with Stepsunlocker or Stunlocker, both of them acquired? Asking someone with problems with the snow several sometimes exceeding 100 centimeters/winter.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
I have been asking on numerous occasions if the ST-U app will be able to change market settings on f/w 4.9.0

It appears that it doesn’t. If you only bothered to answer my question, I wouldn’t waste my time upgrading and now having to downgrade.

IMG_6749.jpg

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I have been asking on numerous occasions if the ST-U app will be able to change market settings on f/w 4.9.0
Latest FWs (4.9.0-E8000, 4.6.0-E7000/E6100, 4.4.2-E5000, 4.1.1-EP8) do not have "derestriction" features via Bluetooth. There is nothing to support.

Cbmojo

May 20, 2020
USA
Anybody using the STunlocker app on the ep8 rs motor? I dont care about "de-restriction" but I see you can actually move the sliders around the power and torque of the motor (to push the 60nm limit up)...I have connected and used the app for data but have not tried to change the parameters of the motor. thoughts?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
You can change TQ, but it's restricted by 60Nm (because of RS motor). PM me if you want to test increasing limits on your RS.

Anybody using the STunlocker app on the ep8 rs motor? I dont care about "de-restriction" but I see you can actually move the sliders around the power and torque of the motor (to push the 60nm limit up)...I have connected and used the app for data but have not tried to change the parameters of the motor. thoughts?

Motohawk75

Dec 30, 2020
U.K.
Like a few others wanting to change the EP8 location to US I have asked several times on how to down grade the firmware explaining the reason (not great on a computer)

I have paid for licence and have been sent instruction BUT there not easy or clear to follow as it’s been led to believe (maybe they are if your good on your pc) but I like many others am not.

I’ve asked for help and a better / simple explanation to get it done to be told to “find someone else to help” .....

Not great really is it .....?‍♀️

H3NN0

Jan 10, 2021
Belgium
Hi , I’m doing something wrong with the connection to the st Unlocker app on ios

motor ep8 - screen sc-e7000
Bike Merida e one sixty

I downloaded the app, followed the instructions but the app can’t find the bike :s

when I use the E-TUBE app it finds the bike almost directly.

I can’t wait to try / use the St Unlocker app. But I fail at the first step. Can someone point me out what I do wrong or how I do it properly.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I can’t wait to try / use the St Unlocker app. But I fail at the first step. Can someone point me out what I do wrong or how I do it properly.
It fails or didn't find your bike? Did you read the "Troubleshooting" section of the App's manual

Motohawk75

Dec 30, 2020
U.K.
Spoke to my lbs who made a call to shimano U.K. regarding changing location there response was very clear, it will void your warranty regardless of the motor issue and if it relates to the changes that have been made. They were very short and to the point about it.
I think that’s ridiculous personally but there you go.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Spoke to my lbs who made a call to shimano U.K. regarding changing location there response was very clear, it will void your warranty regardless of the motor issue and if it relates to the changes that have been made. They were very short and to the point about it.
I think that’s ridiculous personally but there you go.
I wonder what did you expect at all? You thought that they would tell you: - change whatever you want?

1. Only EP8 motor has a regulation log (log of region/circumference changes). I have not heard of a single case where the dealer could provide evidence that the motor was used as "derestricted". And there seems to be no way to prove it if all settings were changed back to stock.

2. Even for EP8, I have met several cases when an American dealer / importer himself changed the region using dealers version of E-Tube project. Who can prove that the dealer did it and not the owner himself?

In any case, while there are only questions about ep8 warranty. There is nothing to worry about other motors.

Motohawk75

Dec 30, 2020
U.K.
I wonder what did you expect at all? You thought that they would tell you: - change whatever you want?

1. Only EP8 motor has a regulation log (log of region/circumference changes). I have not heard of a single case where the dealer could provide evidence that the motor was used as "derestricted". And there seems to be no way to prove it if all settings were changed back to stock.

2. Even for EP8, I have met several cases when an American dealer / importer himself changed the region using dealers version of E-Tube project. Who can prove that the dealer did it and not the owner himself?

In any case, while there are only questions about ep8 warranty. There is nothing to worry about other motors.

I find your attitude towards your customers hard to understand at times.
I like many others ask for your help after purchasing your product and you either don’t reply or when you do its been less than helpful which I just don’t get ?

I asked the boys to call Shimano and ask them what the situation was regarding changing the location as it’s a big deal to those of us who have spent £8000 on a new bike. As much as I want mine to have the higher speed I also want to know the score regards warranty as this ultimately is my choice and there for risk.
They said if the motor was seen to be modified to change the location then hey would not honour the warranty.
This obviously is not an issue if you could change back to standard in the case of a claim or the firmware change was not logged but if it is then I think it’s pretty fair that we know the score. ..... for the record I don’t agree with there answer what so ever and it’s crap as the motor is obviously designed to run at the higher cut off speed.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
I agree with MH75 on three accounts:
1 vadll attitude is rather unfortunate and his lack of decent feedback cost me dearly
2 it is our risk / decision
3 Shimano is built for higher speed or it would not have this option, or there would be large number of warranty returns in the US, leading to upgrade/redesign.

moulder211

Jan 12, 2021
Uk
I tried asking vadll for help today also and my response was sharp and rude and he was no help at all.
One unhappy potential customer will go elsewhere along with the big group of ebike riders I ride with.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I tried asking vadll for help today also and my response was sharp and rude and he was no help at all.
One unhappy potential customer will go elsewhere along with the big group of ebike riders I ride with.
Who are you? Did you really ask a help?

moulder211

Jan 12, 2021
Uk
It's not there, tried it on my partners phone and she didn't have it either, is there not any other way to do it?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
It's not there, tried it on my partners phone and she didn't have it either, is there not any other way to do it?
Look, Android system can't work without this folder (Android/Data). This folder contains data of all App's, including system ones . It looks like you use wrong App for exploring your phone's memory.
BTW, the downgrade manual has another option for Android system - to use a PC.

Last edited:

Motohawk75

Dec 30, 2020
U.K.
Look, Android system can't work without this folder. It's not possible at all. It looks like you use wrong App for exploriring your phone's memory, or you and your partner have unique Android phones with unique Android system that I don't know exists.
BTW, the downgrade manual has another option for Android system - to use a PC.

P.S. Guys, I'm not the company, I'm not Shimano. I'm a man who made the App for Shimano bikes. It's my hobby project. I don't have PR managers, marketing department and etc. I'm a straight person. I do not accept hypocrisy. If you don't like my anwers - don't use my App. It's simple. I have neither the time nor the energy to answer hundreds of the same questions every day. Thank you

I think there’s just perhaps a lack of communication and a break down in understanding between your self and some of less computer minded people ....

What I think would really help would be a clearer / slower explanation / instruction on how to down grade or upgrade the firmware allowing the app to work (especially on the ep8)
I know you think the instructions you send are clear but to those who are not familiar with this kind of computer work they really are not.
The video link would be a great idea if you slowed it down giving enough time for the user to copy what’s on the screen and either subtitles or a voice over as trying to follow the curser on screen in silence at your speed is just to difficult.

Otherwise unfortunately for my self and others that have purchased the licence it’s going to be a wasted exercise.

Cheers ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles