• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Hi @vadII

Hoping you can maybe help with this one, I have the Merida EOne Sixty 5000 with the Shimano steps E7000 / 60kn motor.
Recently downloaded licence for St Unlocker and all went well.
However when I change the destination from UK to USA it goes through the approx. 7 steps and then when I apply, for some reason reverts back to the UK setting of 25km (I’m obviously after the 32km setting

My partner has the FW 4.8 and my friend the FW 4.4 both of which have worked fine with the USA destination.

I have 4.6 FW, is this material?
Any ideas please???
It's because 4.6.0 is not supported and the App informed you about that. Downgrade to 4.5.0 or 4.4.0

kazujama

Oct 24, 2020
Poland
Anyone knows whether changing the region and reducing the wheel circumference work with this new firmware?

@vadII Can you answer ?

Screenshot_20201024-004727_E-TUBE.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020
home
According to the stated versions on the StUnlocker homepage its not included.
The eMax competition states about 4.9.0: However, currently it is not possible to process these modifications with our eMaxMobileApp. So please do not update to the newest motor firmware if you intend to optimize your bike via Bluetooth.
eMax has a working Windows version but that requires a Shimano SM-PCE1/02 instead of a smart phone.
The Eplus competition states: Compatibility of the Eplus Tutor Pro with Shimano 4.9 version is being verified.

Who will solve the problem first: StUnlocker, eMax or Eplus ?

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
According to the stated versions on the StUnlocker homepage its not included.
The eMax competition states about 4.9.0: However, currently it is not possible to process these modifications with our eMaxMobileApp. So please do not update to the newest motor firmware if you intend to optimize your bike via Bluetooth.
eMax has a working Windows version but that requires a Shimano SM-PCE1/02 instead of a smart phone.
The Eplus competition states: Compatibility of the Eplus Tutor Pro with Shimano 4.9 version is being verified.

Who will solve the problem first: StUnlocker, eMax or Eplus ?
I don't think the problem is what will work with that firmware - I see the problem now as losing your warranty with this firmware and all future firmware. This seems to be where shimano firmware, especially the latest version, is headed. It seems that 4.9 does exactly that - with previous versions we just don't know. It could be that shimano has been looking the other way previously? All we can do is guess, apparently.

Last edited:

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
So, @vadil, any info is there some problem if I buy a licence with 4.9.0?
No. 4.9.0 is 100% supported, except derestiction features. If you want to derestrict it - downgrade -> derestrict -> update back to 4.9.0 (but it's not worth it)

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
I am riding on 4.8.0 with all the features I need. Am I missing anything important by not upgrading to 4.9.0 or latter? Release notes are rather cryptic

My e-tube app is insisting that I upgrade to the latest version — by not allowing me to check/change assistance level — but I am concerned with losing ability to change markets and customise assistance settings.

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
Anyone have any real world experience of using this with the EP8 yet?

I do ... one week with it , no problems at all .

I didn't change the circumference, only change the market to "us" ... this way I don't believe shimano can give me any problems in case I need to warranty the motor.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Just upgraded my E8000 and SC7000 to latest version and now can't connect to ST Unlocker. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or do I just need to wait for the next release of ST Unlocker?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Just upgraded my E8000 and SC7000 to latest version and now can't connect to ST Unlocker. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or do I just need to wait for the next release of ST Unlocker?
STUnlocker supports all FWs, including latest ones

Tim Jewitt

Oct 9, 2020
Exeter
I do ... one week with it , no problems at all .

I didn't change the circumference, only change the market to "us" ... this way I don't believe shimano can give me any problems in case I need to warranty the motor.

Good news, nice one. Yeah, be interested to know if Shimano are actually able to tell whether STunlocker's been used if you put it back to standard prior to a warranty claim..

Spagnol

May 2, 2019
Italy
Good news, nice one. Yeah, be interested to know if Shimano are actually able to tell whether STunlocker's been used if you put it back to standard prior to a warranty claim..

Probably they do ... but they can not tell me the engine is broken because the market is different... and the command used was available trough Bluetooth.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
STUnlocker supports all FWs, including latest ones
Ok, I got it working. I actually updated using Shimano E Tube on my iPhone, and then tried to connect with ST Unlocker on my Android, which is the phone I normally use. I ended up installing E Tube on the android and connecting, then I could connect with ST Unlocker. Strange, but all is good again.

Tim Jewitt

Oct 9, 2020
Exeter
Probably they do ... but they can not tell me the engine is broken because the market is different... and the command used was available trough Bluetooth.

True enough, and US market 19.5mph would probably do me too. You pay your money and take your chances I guess. Good to know it's working on EP8 though. 1000-miles on my E8000 with no issues. Will probably see if I can try and live with the restriction at first when the new bike comes though, be on the safe side..

Last edited:

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Ok, I got it working. I actually updated using Shimano E Tube on my iPhone, and then tried to connect with ST Unlocker on my Android, which is the phone I normally use. I ended up installing E Tube on the android and connecting, then I could connect with ST Unlocker. Strange, but all is good again.
STUnlocker doesn't require ETube App installed.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
The documentation suggested it
This is because many users who are unable to connect their bikes for whatever reasons state that this is a STUnlocker issue and submit their 1* ratings to Google Play / AppStore. So, in the manual we suggest to install 100% original Shimano ETube App and try it before blame STUnlocker

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Hi @vadII ,
can yout tell me when the firmware version 4.9.0 will be supported?
Supported for a what? All non-premium features are 100% supported for 4.9.0.
4.9.0 was released by Shimano to avoid derestriction, it's only one goal. So it's not possible to derestrict motor with 4.9.0 via Bluetooth

kgoran79

Apr 9, 2020
Hungary
Supported for a what? All non-premium features are 100% supported for 4.9.0.
4.9.0 was released by Shimano to avoid derestriction, it's only one goal. So it's not possible to derestrict motor with 4.9.0 via Bluetooth
To modify the wheel circumference, for example. Then I have to downgrade to 4.8.0 to do that?

Cbmojo

May 20, 2020
USA
Yes, EP8 is supported for derestriction on 4.0.2 (it's possible to downgrade to 4.0.2 easily).

I have no idea. PM me if you have this bike and we will test it
sorry, full de-restriction or just wheel circumference? Currently running 4.1.1

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles