• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

Astom22

Jan 11, 2020
Celina, TX
Fix it with no lights
Hello vadll,
I am using stepsunlocker and if I want to use stunlocker do i have to pay again for a license?
I was hesitant to buy the license, bugged vadll with too many questions, which he answered. My only regret is not doing it sooner. Does everything the stock app does only better, but also allows you to set up your bikes wheel circumference and not have to visit a shop for that.

Bramoss

Feb 10, 2020
Netherlands
As above, I can't increase anything but 'Assist' from around 191% to 200%.
Whoopie doo.

I have the same problem it seems to be a e6100 problem.
I can increase the assistance up from 191% to maximum 238% and the torque up to 60nm. And it works.
But as soon as i disconnect the battery everything goes back to default settings.

Fortunately the speedrestricion from eu to usa setting stays in the memory.

bossebil

Feb 12, 2020
sweden
Hey vadll
Does Stunlocker support following spec ? :
Shimano STEPS DU-E-5000
Shimano Steps FC-E5000 170mm Chain Arm Set
Shimano STEPS BT-E6010

Cheers!

Sknyrch01

Feb 14, 2020
CA
I just got this app on my iPhone and can’t login. I need to take my bike to dealer and have pin reset. Once I’ve done this and buy the license, will I be able to raise the speed limiter to 25+mph? I’m in the US market and already have it at 19.9mph. Is the only way to raise the max speed by changing the wheel size and having a bad speedo reading? Does the app also adjust power settings differently than the factory app?

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
I just got this app on my iPhone and can’t login. I need to take my bike to dealer and have pin reset. Once I’ve done this and buy the license, will I be able to raise the speed limiter to 25+mph? I’m in the US market and already have it at 19.9mph. Is the only way to raise the max speed by changing the wheel size and having a bad speedo reading? Does the app also adjust power settings differently than the factory app?

The deal with STUnlocker is to NOT update the firmware..
Infact, I understand it that to unlock all the features you have mentioned, you may need to reverse the firmware updates to older versions to get the access you want- once this is in effect, you have total control over the settings....
Im sure someone with more experience will set me straight if I got that wrong. None of it affects the speedo/data readout. One of the things I liked about it. And the price.. Equivalent boxes seem pricey in comparison for something that basically halves the pulse rate...!

Astom22

Jan 11, 2020
Celina, TX

Infact, I understand it that to unlock all the features you have mentioned, you may need to reverse the firmware updates to older versions to get the access you want- once this is in effect, you have total control over the settings....
Im sure someone with more experience will set me straight if I got that wrong. None of it affects the speedo/data readout. One of the things I liked about it. And the price.. Equivalent boxes seem pricey in comparison for something that basically halves the pulse rate...!
I didn't have to downgrade anything on mine and can do all the things listed. I set my region to US, where I live, and adjusted my circumference to what it should have been the whole time.

SPott

Feb 17, 2020
Norway
perfect! Should I upgrade the firmwares of
DU-E5000 / SC-E6100
Firmware ver: 4.1.0 / 4.0.5 to 4.2.1 / 4.0.5 (thats what e-tube want to upgrade to)
I updated my E5000 to the latest firmware before I knew about STUnlocker. Set my bike to US region this weekend, without problems. 32km/t seems like a very reasonable speed for everyday E-bike use.

Coopers

Dec 31, 2019
Australia
I updated my E5000 to the latest firmware before I knew about STUnlocker. Set my bike to US region this weekend, without problems. 32km/t seems like a very reasonable speed for everyday E-bike use.

And don't forget you can change the wheel diameter if you want more than 32. But I agree. 32 seems fine for commuting.

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC

I think it's only for E8000 motors that you need to downgrade the firmware, and only if you want the display to show the correct speed (otherwise you can adjust the wheel circumference to fake it, on at least some of the more recent firmwares).

Can Steps Unlocker set different top speeds for each PAS? I want different top speeds for Eco, Trail, and Boost.

AZRickD

Jan 21, 2020
Arizona
I just bought the 99-cent version of STUNLOCKER for my 2020 Santa Cruz Heckler (e8000 motor and 7000 display).

I’ll poke around and read up to see if I want to do the $30 license.

AZRickD

Jan 21, 2020
Arizona
I messed with the app last night and this morning. Being able to adjust by slider the assist % from 1-300+ and torque from X newton-meter to 70nm is handy.

I found that I benefited from dropping *down* the settings in Trail Mode from the full-tilt setting of the eTube app’s “High.”

kptn

Feb 24, 2020
Canberra, Australia
Hi Vadll!

I have the DU-E5000 / SC-E6100 combo, I've bought the licence and changed the region successfully. It's a great app!

I have a question though, I changed the chainring from 38t to 44t, but when I try to change it in the app it jumps to 47t and I'm not able to select 44t. Is there something I'm missing here?

I'm trying to change it because the motor seems to be getting confused and it's not assisting smoothly, even with stock settings.

Thanks!

Fwikiller

Feb 17, 2020
Guadeloupe
Hi vadll,

What is the real max value for the e7000 motor.
Stunlocker set the boost max at 238% but in shimano notice i see 250%.
And why i can only change the power level by 5% up or down ?

Thanks.
Screenshot_20200303_070217.jpg
Screenshot_20200226_161957_com.stunlocker.app.su.jpg

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Shimano set different support depends on FW version. Latest version has 238%. You can try to downgrade to 4.3.x if you need more support

rsea

Feb 22, 2020
Icp1978
Stunlocker worked perfectly on my e8000

Changed region and wheel circumference for much better ebike experience

rsea

Last edited:

Fwikiller

Feb 17, 2020
Guadeloupe
Stunlocker worked perfectly on my e7000

Changed region and wheel circumference for much better ebike experience

FWIKILLER - I noticed my assist ration is currently set to 300%. After reading the above I'm concerned this is too high

rsea

Could you take à screenshot of your settings ?
What is your firmware ?
Your bike work normally with 300%?

rsea

Feb 22, 2020
Icp1978
Out of interest should I be cautious of setting the wheel circumference too small ?
How small is too small ? Actual wheels are 29"

rsea

Feb 22, 2020
Icp1978
I noticed on the emax manual you can go as low as 1300 on the circumference. Surely this would negatively impact the motor in time

rsea

Feb 22, 2020
Icp1978
Why do you think that?
It’s doubling the max speed the motor will push to. I guess this wouldn’t exert any greater torque demands but on the average ride it’ll be assisting almost 100% of the time. Whereas on my normal commute I’d estimate it assists about 20% of the time

Peterg

Apr 26, 2019
Uk
Phone won't connect to bike?? Help.
So been using Steps unlocked with no problems. But I have changed my phone, still on Android, but when trying to connect app to steps unlocked, it gets to 6% then asks me to reenter pin. I tried the default 000000 and what I thought was my pin, neither one will let me connect.
Never had this issue with my last phone, which also was still android..

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
You forgot your bike's PIN. Read "Troubleshooting" section of the App's manual

Phone won't connect to bike?? Help.
So been using Steps unlocked with no problems. But I have changed my phone, still on Android, but when trying to connect app to steps unlocked, it gets to 6% then asks me to reenter pin. I tried the default 000000 and what I thought was my pin, neither one will let me connect.
Never had this issue with my last phone, which also was still android..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles