• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

Ergon_the_saddler

Feb 1, 2024
Denmark
Hi Vadll,

Do you know how the "Regulation change history" for a DU-EP800 works?

I had a user report with a red warning.
Then after reseting to default settings its no longer marked red but there is a timestamp for a regulation change.

Is this all the information the DU stores, that a change has taken place only, or dose it store more information?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Hi Vadll,

Do you know how the "Regulation change history" for a DU-EP800 works?

I had a user report with a red warning.
Then after reseting to default settings its no longer marked red but there is a timestamp for a regulation change.

Is this all the information the DU stores, that a change has taken place only, or dose it store more information?
This is not STRide related question. Anyway, STUnlocker informs you which settings are not default and you HAVE TO change all settings back to default/stock before visiting dealer/shop center.

Ergon_the_saddler

Feb 1, 2024
Denmark
This is not STRide related question. Anyway, STUnlocker informs you which settings are not default and you HAVE TO change all settings back to default/stock before visiting dealer/shop center.
Right, my mistake. I just jumped into an active conversation with you in it. Should have been more active in choosing the right thread.

Still, do you have any knowledge about what happens on the Shimano side of things and how permanent/visible they will be?

Ergon_the_saddler

Feb 1, 2024
Denmark
I understand that the full accountability lies with me as a user, i am not questioning that and i understand your apprehensive reaction to my question. I am in no way waving my own total responsibility for using the software. I am only here asking for information that you may or may not possess about how shimano's "Regulation change history" works. Call it academy curiosity i you will :)

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
You can see the "regulation log" in the STUnlocker. STUnlocker does not write into the log any data. Regulation log is used by Shimano to compare current settings of the motor with the factory settings. If you change settings to default you'll not see any warnings in Shimano software and Shimano will not understand if your bike was derestricted or not.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
EP801/EP6 overall Torque/Power settings are now adjustable in then new 1.18 version
So it's possible to make EP801/EP6 RS into the full power motor via Bluetooth

Big07

Aug 23, 2020
Australia
Can a EP8-RS be derestricted via bluetooth? Or can this only be done via the pc interface? Also does the motor need to be on a specific firmware version to be derestricted? thx

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Can a EP8-RS be derestricted via bluetooth? Or can this only be done via the pc interface? Also does the motor need to be on a specific firmware version to be derestricted? thx
yes, as the normal EP8. For Bluetooth you need downgrade to 4.0.2 for the speed derestriction and then update to the actual firmware. With PCE interface the downgrade is not required.

Big07

Aug 23, 2020
Australia
yes, as the normal EP8. For Bluetooth you need downgrade to 4.0.2 for the speed derestriction and then update to the actual firmware. With PCE interface the downgrade is not required.
Sorry, what do you mnean by "then update to the actual firmware"? I used stunlocker with an ep8 on a different bike. That time I just downgraded the firmware and have never updated the firmware since.
With the EP8-RS, do I downgrade the firmware, edit the cirfumference/region,etc.. and then afterwards upgrade the firmware? When upgrading do I use e-tube? or upgrade back to a specific version?
Also if I downgrade the motor firmware I could still edit the power/assist levels on the ep8-rs, right?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Sorry, what do you mnean by "then update to the actual firmware"? I used stunlocker with an ep8 on a different bike. That time I just downgraded the firmware and have never updated the firmware since.
Why? The downgrade instruction tells that you have to update to the actual firmware, because 4.0.2 is too old and has many issues.

With the EP8-RS, do I downgrade the firmware, edit the cirfumference/region,etc.. and then afterwards upgrade the firmware?
Yes, exactly
When upgrading do I use e-tube? or upgrade back to a specific version?
Yes. To any, including the latest
Also if I downgrade the motor firmware I could still edit the power/assist levels on the ep8-rs, right?
No. 4.0.2 does not have PW/TQ settings. This firmware does not even know about RS version. 4.0.2 is required for the changing settings via Bluetooth only.

Big07

Aug 23, 2020
Australia
Why? The downgrade instruction tells that you have to update to the actual firmware, because 4.0.2 is too old and has many issues.

Yes, exactly

Yes. To any, including the latest

No. 4.0.2 does not have PW/TQ settings. This firmware does not even know about RS version. 4.0.2 is required for the changing settings via Bluetooth only.
Ok, thank you so much. I wasn't aware that updating the firmware still allowed you to keep the modified speed settings in place.

Big07

Aug 23, 2020
Australia
Question about derestricting a EP8.
A few months ago I downgraded the firmware on my ep8 and have adjusted the wheel size, etc.. However I have just left the motor running the lower firmware version.
Should I now update the firmware on the motor? If so do I just use the shimano e-tube app to update to the latest version?
I assume that if I update the firmware and then want to adjust the wheel size, etc.. I'll need to downgrade the firmware again, is that correct?
Just wondering if it's worth upgrading. I've heard that the older firmware has some "issues" but I've never seen any description of what those issues actually are.

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia
I have PCE cable so I can change Shimano EP800 RS to full power 85Nm directly???

dcpatters

Mar 11, 2021
Southern California
Can someone suggest a fully functional file manager app which allows copying FW files across to the /Android/data/..... file systems for Android 12? Previously, I have successfully used "Cx File Explorer" but it seems Android no longer allows 3rd party access. Cheers.

webman

Apr 13, 2022
Sydney
Any should work. You just need to enable access in the settings. Normally the app (file explorer) will pop up a notification and ask you to change the settings. I use root explorer

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
@vadII - mate's bike needs to go back for warranty on the motor. Can I just change everything back to default settings on Stunlocker and then connect to Etube and let it update everything to the latest firmware without a flag being set or similar?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles