STUnlocker Android App for Shimano motors is available

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I apologise if this question has been asked before, if it has I missed it, but will Vadll be working his magic on the new EP8 motor? If not, I will be sticking with my old E8000 motors whilst ever they work.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
I just read this whole thread, it appears you clearly wanna be the one with the last laugh :p
You go to a restaurant, pay for a glass of wine, after you only take a few sips, you drop it down and break it.
The barman only sell the wine not the glass, i hope he gets you a new glass full of wine for free?
To me it's just customer caring. ;)

I "clearly wanna be the one with the last laugh?" Who are you? You don't know me lol :LOL:
I will say this though - at least you read the whole thread. If other people did that there would be fewer repeat posts of the same 2 questions that have been answered over and over and over.:rolleyes:

BTW Your wine analogy makes no sense... what are you talking about "customer caring"?

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
I apologise if this question has been asked before, if it has I missed it, but will Vadll be working his magic on the new EP8 motor? If not, I will be sticking with my old E8000 motors whilst ever they work.

Not sure if that can be done... the EP8 (and maybe future E8000 firmware) is whole new ballgame.
From Rob's video, he said:

[Shimano] also talk a bit about anti-tuning and anti-tampering. Any attempts to alter or trick the cut-off speed will be stored in the motor. The dealers will see this flag in their software. If this happens, the warranty will be void and they cannot service the motor.

Also if you didn't notice, even with the E8000 system, the new E-Tube 4.0 software requires the user to select region + register motor to Shimano.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
"Also if you didn't notice, even with the E8000 system, the new E-Tube 4.0 software requires the user to select region + register motor to Shimano."

No, I didn't notice but now I have both my bikes working sweetly I go nowhere near E-Tube.

The future is looking pretty shit, Covid looks like being with us for years and then no doubt something else will come along and now we look like being stuck with 15 mph on your e-mtb here in Europe. (it's okay for you over in the States).

Thank goodness I'm 70 and looking at joining the local bridge club instead. :D

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Not sure if that can be done... the EP8 (and maybe future E8000 firmware) is whole new ballgame.
From Rob's video, he said:

[Shimano] also talk a bit about anti-tuning and anti-tampering. Any attempts to alter or trick the cut-off speed will be stored in the motor. The dealers will see this flag in their software. If this happens, the warranty will be void and they cannot service the motor.

Also if you didn't notice, even with the E8000 system, the new E-Tube 4.0 software requires the user to select region + register motor to Shimano.
Glad I didn't update

EDYM

Jul 6, 2020
Igny
I "clearly wanna be the one with the last laugh?" Who are you? You don't know me lol :LOL:
I will say this though - at least you read the whole thread. If other people did that there would be fewer repeat posts of the same 2 questions that have been answered over and over and over.:rolleyes:

BTW Your wine analogy makes no sense... what are you talking about "customer caring"?
I certainly don't know you, what i said was my impression after reading this whole thread.
That's it.

I'm Eric by the way, cheers. ??

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
The app keeps stalling when trying to connect to the bike at 24%, and tben says the connection was interupted. I've tried it after playing with the phones bluetooth to make sure there isnt anything else connected at the same time which may be interfering.

Anyone have any ideas?

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
[/QUOTE]
The app keeps stalling when trying to connect to the bike at 24%, and tben says the connection was interupted. I've tried it after playing with the phones bluetooth to make sure there isnt anything else connected at the same time which may be interfering.

Anyone have any ideas?

Did you change your PIN on the bike from default? If so you have to enter it in STUnlocker settings first, before trying to connect

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK

Did you change your PIN on the bike from default? If so you have to enter it in STUnlocker settings first, before trying to connect
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I should have clarified. I've been using the app regularly, its just this week it's stopped working. Not made any changes to the bike or app between it working and not.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
OMG i not read exactly ... i just wanted updated today to 4.8.0... and not checked new firmware 4.9.0 since yesterday ... cannot change anything now ... stunlocker needs update ... PLEASE vadll HELP ... many thanks

What do you mean "needs' update? You made the mistake (accidental or not) of updating FW, not vadll's fault.
Anyway - at this point, you're just going to have to wait if ST Unlocker gets updated, or manually downgrade your FW.
Did you try using the E-Tube app to see if you can connect?

Yesterday at 11:28 PM
Yesterday Shimano releases new updates for E8000/E7000/E6100. It looks like something was changed related to derestriction.
Well, as usual: don't update FW until you are sure that it is compatible with the features you need.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania

The etube software pre update, also made it look as though you had to go online and check for updates. I didn't, of course, and I was still able to connect and do all I wanted. I think the average user would have just followed instruction thinking they had no choice.

When you say "requires", is this a similar thing? Are you able to just bypass this and continue on with whatever you want, and not register the motor? That degree of attempted control by shimano is the sort of thing that I really don't like. Android (g00gle), ms, apple, FB - they all try it.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
The etube software pre update, also made it look as though you had to go online and check for updates. I didn't, of course, and I was still able to connect and do all I wanted. I think the average user would have just followed instruction thinking they had no choice.

When you say "requires", is this a similar thing? Are you able to just bypass this and continue on with whatever you want, and not register the motor? That degree of attempted control by shimano is the sort of thing that I really don't like. Android (g00gle), ms, apple, FB - they all try it.

If I remember right, there's no way to continue through the app without registering. You may not like it, but it is what it is.
Even the previous E-Tube didn't require you to check for updates. Like you said, it might have "made it look as though you had to" but you really didn't if you just paid attention to the interface. With 4.0 there's an auto firmware check/download that pops up when you start the app... but there's also a "skip" option at the bottom if you just pay attention (I think whoever above who had their eMTB install yesterday's FW update wasn't paying attention)

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
All my contact details are known. If you need help - just email to me...

Yes it was my mistake ... not vadll's fault
I wanted 4.8.0 and didn't notice that there is a completely new firmware 4.9.0.
E-Tube still works, STUNLOCKER IOS app works also but no changes (wheel circumference, market) are saved.

how can i downgrade to 4.8.0 ?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Finally. Requires first initial FW (4.0.2), it's possible to downgrade from the latest 4.1.1
1605875017146.png

Pepemurcia

Nov 21, 2020
España
El miedo de esta app es que afecte a la garantía del motor

"The fear of this app is that it affects the engine warranty"

Last edited by a moderator:

Pepemurcia

Nov 21, 2020
España
[QUOTE = "vadII, publicación: 234459, miembro: 2926"]
¿Es tu pregunta? ¿O es esta su declaración de una persona bien informada a la que se le negó una garantía porque la bicicleta fue anulada?
[/CITAR].Es una pregunta. Por cierto ya la tengo descargada y esta muy biem, enhorabuena

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
New App's features for EP8 owners.
EP8 collects some statistics and the App displays them. Moreover, EP8 has "regulation log", so all changes of Market/Circumferences are stored...

added: I thought the system does it automatically, and I couldn't check it as I didn't get my EP8 yet, but those "smart" guys from Shimano made an extra command to add an entry to the log. So, if you change the region in STUnlocker, no entries are added to the log.
Screenshot_1608633338.png Screenshot_1608633349.png

Last edited:

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Just purchased a second e8000 bike. Do I need to a separate license for it. The app will sync to my first bike, but not the second. Original pin that I use will not work for the second,. I will gladly pay for another license, love this app. Thank you.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles