STUnlocker Android App for Shimano motors is available

Linkman

Jul 14, 2020
Hungary
Well just have to wait and see what vadll says about it.

I have wrote email to Vadll and he reply this:
"You can do as you want to." :ROFLMAO:

But I have changed the "Market Setting" to US under 4.3.4 fw and it accepted and 25 km/h limit raised to 32 km/h succesfully without any error code. ( I have tried it by short biking)

So I think Markus Schlegel the eMax developer was wrong when wrote me that market setting changing works only from 4.5.1 FW version.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Vadll must be on holiday....I had problems with my first license request due to an error on my part, so on 7-13-2020 I paid again and still waiting to receive it. I hope he is OK...
I'm online and don't have any unanswered questions on my email. What is your problem?

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
I paid for new license on the July 13 and have not received it yet.

Buddy, I suggest you send PM (or use the "get license" link in the app) to vadll with your real name/email/Paypal transaction#, this should be a private conversation for security purposes.

Feb 27, 2020
home
So I think Markus Schlegel the eMax developer was wrong when wrote me that market setting changing works only from 4.5.1 FW version.
Updated from 4.7.1 to 4.8.0 without any problem. The "Market Setting" remained at US although there is a new eMax in Google Play but I did not need it to change the "Market Setting".

paalkr

Jun 18, 2020
Norway
Hi. I have previously downgraded my bike to 4.3.2 FW using the renamed FW files (5.3.2). Is it possible go back to the stock 4.7.1 FW using the eTube android app?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Hi. I have previously downgraded my bike to 4.3.2 FW using the renamed FW files (5.3.2). Is it possible go back to the stock 4.7.1 FW using the eTube android app?
Yes. Just delete 5.3.2 files from the phone's memory

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Does the motor store a log of changes made to it? I know the risks to warrenty by making any changes, but they are obviously increased if there is a record / log which can be read back by the dealer.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I'm sure there are a few on here who have the dealer software? Wondering if they knew?

Would be nice to change the wheel circomference as its over reading at the moment, but dont want to provide an excuse for refusing a replacement if the motor was to go wrong. Please note, I understand the only surefire way to avoid warewnty issues is not to touch it, but trying to quantify the risk.

Has anyone had a claim rejected when they have set the region to US?

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
I understand the only surefire way to avoid warranty issues is not to touch it, but trying to quantify the risk.

There's nothing to "quantify" here, you're just overthinking it (like many before you).
It's pretty clear cut what adjustments you can do with the app and what risk is involved with each setting you change.
Just don't do anything stupid with the app and you should be fine.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
The question can be answered objectively. It would be nice to know what information re this is available via dealer software. For example, will it be known if st unlocker was used or if the firmware was modified by 3rd party software? These are expensive bikes with most of us probably having to make use of warranty for a replacement motor or some other e related problem. I wouldn't buy one of these bikes without a warranty.

Sure it can: go ask Shimano. They're the only ones who can answer your question objectively.

But they don't have to.

I'll tell you this though, the current dealer/consumer software doesn't read all of the data being logged. It's already confirmed that there is a lot of data being logged; some can be decyphered but a lot can't.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Just a head's up for people using ST Unlocker if you're having trouble getting the new E-Tube app (v4.0.0) to work:

Not sure if this was just me or if it will happen to others - but the new E-Tube app, it's a total redesign. It looks really good visually as well. However when I first tried using it, initially it would say there was a connection error when I went into the "Assist" page. I disconnected the new app, then used the previous version E-Tube app v3.4.4 (which I had on another device) to connect and set the assist levels to "factory" settings.

After that I could connect with the new E-Tube 4.0.0 app and use all the regular E-Tube features with no problems (regardless of if assist settings were factory or if I had my custom ST Unlocker settings in the drive unit.) Note: this seems to happen with some iOS and some Android devices, but not the others, so it might not happen to you.

Also an interesting tidbit related to everyone who's concerned about warranty, from the recent EP8 article:

"They [Shimano] also talk a bit about anti-tuning and anti-tampering. Any attempts to alter or trick the cut-off speed will be stored in the motor. The dealers will see this flag in their software. If this happens, the warranty will be void and they cannot service the motor."

Makes me wonder if this is motor-only or if it's integrated in the EP8 firmware. If it's firmware there is a possibility they can add it to future DUE-8000 firmware, so those of you using ST Unlocker with DUE-8000 should stick to 4.3.2 or 4.8.0 for now (y)

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Quick question - can two bikes be run off the same app? I cant find the info, basically I use th app with one bike a the moment, and want to use it with another aswell (understanding I will have to purchase another license), but will the app automatically recognise each bike or do I need to use two different devices with the app loaded on to them?

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Quick question - can two bikes be run off the same app? I cant find the info, basically I use th app with one bike a the moment, and want to use it with another aswell (understanding I will have to purchase another license), but will the app automatically recognise each bike or do I need to use two different devices with the app loaded on to them?

Short answer: yes.

Ex. a couple months ago I had to use the ST Unlocker app on my old eMTB (licensed) and my new eMTB (not yet licensed) it worked just fine. Remember, each bike has it's own Bluetooth "ID" (essentially the bike's Bluetooth interface is a Bluetooth "Device") so the app knows what bike it's connecting to. Also, the app pulls the assist and other settings from the bike when you first connect, not the other way around.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Just a head's up for people using ST Unlocker and having trouble getting the new E-Tube app (v4.0.0) to work:

Not sure if this was just me or if it will happen to others - but the new E-Tube app, it's a total redesign. It looks really goof visually as well. However when I first tried using it, initially it would say there was a connection error when I went into the "Assist" page. I disconnected the new app, then used the previous version E-Tube app v3.4.4 (which I had on another device) to connect and set the assist levels to "factory" settings. After that I could connect with the new E-Tube 4.0.0 app and use all the regular E-Tube features with no problems (regardless of if assist settings were factory or if I had my custom ST Unlocker settings in the drive unit.) Note: this is with the iOS version. I did not try testing the Android version of the new E-Tube app.

Also an interesting tidbit related to everyone who's concerned about warranty, from the recent EP8 article:

"They [Shimano] also talk a bit about anti-tuning and anti-tampering. Any attempts to alter or trick the cut-off speed will be stored in the motor. The dealers will see this flag in their software. If this happens, the warranty will be void and they cannot service the motor."

Makes me wonder if this is motor-only or if it's integrated in the EP8 firmware. If it's firmware there is a possibility they can add it to future DUE-8000 firmware, so those of you using ST Unlocker with DUE-8000 should stick to 4.3.2 or 4.8.0 for now (y)
I'd already decided not to mod mine until it's out of warranty. Right now, regardless of firmware versions, we don't know what changes are recorded / what can be seen by dealer etc. See post # 375 above.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Personal experience here.
I have a Spectral On and a Focus Jam. Both have been Vadlled with the same device with no problem.
My Focus had a new motor fitted under warranty (torque sensor issues). I just set everything back to factory before taking it to the dealer.
I do only change the market usage though.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Thanks both for the responses, I had assumed it works the same way as the OEM app, but just wanted to check

Mauko

Jul 16, 2019
Finland
Now that Shimano requires a login to the etube app, I’m wondering how easy it would be for them to crossreference the market setting on a bike to the user home location. Just my two cents...

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Now that Shimano requires a login to the etube app, I’m wondering how easy it would be for them to crossreference the market setting on a bike to the user home location. Just my two cents...

LOL considering you have to input location when registering, it's pretty obvious how easy it would be ?

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Easy answer is not to use the Etube app? STunlocker does everything and more, with the exception firmware update. But I dont see any need to do that as the motor works fine as is.

HiGer

Sep 16, 2020
Germany
Is the downgrade of the FW still possible with the new E-Tube app (v4.0.0 and newer) with the old process? It does create the known folder structure on the phone. But has anyone tried yet?

EDYM

Jul 6, 2020
Igny
Explain how exactly it is "unfair" - it's not.
Your friend paid for one license for one motor.
Change motor? you should pay for a new license. It's simple.

...or do you go to a restaurant and buy a drink and pay for it once, then expect that you don't have to pay again when you want another drink later? :p
I just read this whole thread, it appears you clearly wanna be the one with the last laugh :p
You go to a restaurant, pay for a glass of wine, after you only take a few sips, you drop it down and break it.
The barman only sell the wine not the glass, i hope he gets you a new glass full of wine for free?
To me it's just customer caring. ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles