Strava Segments / How to copy non ebike segments?

nickbeeton

Aug 9, 2019
Hobart, Australia
Just tried it on one of my local rides, seemed to have worked a treat!
Only problem is as you say, will only replicate the first 10 segments in one day.
So my question is, if I do the same again tomorrow on the same ride, will it miss out the first 10 segments that it's already created and go on to the next 10?
Thanks again though, sure saves a lot of time and may tempt riders to start using the e bike ride category on strava. (y)

Yep, should do! Glad it worked for you :) feel free to share it around if you know others it'd be useful for, I mainly made this for myself ? and I don't know many other ebike riders.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Can’t we just leave Strava for the Lycra wearing high seat post, dropped stem’d flat bar brigade?
I mean really, it’s an ebike ffs. And you want ebike segment everywhere you ride choking the Strava boards with meaningless cock measuring KOM’s and PR’s that don’t mean squat cause they are just myth in the real world.
I use Strava, and all it’s really good for is measuring distance and a bit of banter between friends and followers.
Segments are just a shit storm, of meaningless crap and I was glad they did not show at my local when I switched to an ebike. I just flag the ones that pop up now as dangerous. Ffs it’s an ebike ya flog,... ride, enjoy and flip the bird to the Strava clowns.

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Strava is a tool used by bikers to "race" on multi use trails. If old timey bikes don't want to use the latest equipment to get KOMs then that is their problem. My bike is governed to 17 mph. Some trails are next to impossible to get a KOM with an ebike because the old timey bikes are much faster. I get passed all the time by road bikers, mountain bikers, and fat bikers (in the snow). The ebike is just another facet of biking and Strava users need to get over themselves. I've had Stravaholes yell "trail" at me many times. I can do a 20 mile ride and cover 50 segments. What the heck is up with that? If a segment isn't at least a mile it should be deleted. IMHO

Latest equipment, erm, our bikes have motors ?

I always have the eBike selected as the activity unless I’m at a bike park. I’m not particularly fussed about segment times on my local trails, I just like getting out on my bike and trying to do at least 80km per week in the summer months.

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
This year I've been seeing a boat load of CX bikes on the trail. Do regular strava users know that CX bikers are trying to steal their KOMs? LOL

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
This year I've been seeing a boat load of CX bikes on the trail. Do regular strava users know that CX bikers are trying to steal their KOMs? LOL

All is fair so long as you don’t have a motor ?

Just select eBike mode or don’t make your segments available on public leaderboards. Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition and what you’re doing kind of ruins that in my opinion. Fake News!! ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Strava has never been an entirely fair playing field.
And it's full of KOM hunters. Folk will travel specifically to a segment to try for a PR/KOM because of the conditions.
eg.
Most off road descent KOMs will be set in prime conditions
Most flat road KOMs will have been set either in a group (drafting) or tail wind.
loads of the flater smoother non technical off road KOMs around here are held by roadies on gravel/CX bikes.
The fairest segments on STRAVA are long non technical climbs (on or off road). Using a motor to set a KOM is clearly taking the piss.

@Utah Rider - Do you have ANY non assisted KOMs ?

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Strava has never been an entirely fair playing field.
And it's full of KOM hunters. Folk will travel specifically to a segment to try for a PR/KOM because of the conditions.
eg.
Most off road descent KOMs will be set in prime conditions
Most flat road KOMs will have been set either in a group (drafting) or tail wind.
loads of the flater smoother non technical off road KOMs around here are held by roadies on gravel/CX bikes.
The fairest segments on STRAVA are long non technical climbs (on or off road). Using a motor to set a KOM is clearly taking the piss.

@Utah Rider - Do you have ANY non assisted KOMs ?

Most of the roadie KOM’s around my part are set by people in cars. Some of the off-road segments are set by motorbikes.
Brapp brapp ding ding ?

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Strava on an ebike, one day you could do a segment on no power, then eco, then trial, then boost not exactly a measure of performance.

I do every ride in private mode and subscribe to VeloViewer , for £10 a year I can see milage per year and all of my data, i'm only interested in my total smile miles per year.

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
So just to be clear, for me to get a KOM on an ebike is all in good fun. I don't care about the little ridiculous 25s segments. I am after the 1hr balls to the wall segments. The locals here are really possessive of their KOMs and any victory is quickly flagged and short lived so their is no need to get all upset that an ebiker is getting KOMs. Some KOMs are really old and the trail has been rebuilt with tall water bars or actually rerouted so the trail is not no longer in the original condition that the KOM was first set.
I look at it like I am doing these guys a favor by bringing some competition to an otherwise stale segment. It should be a feather in their cap that they can beat an ebike and they can have bragging rights. So my bike is 52 lbs, I usually carry an extra battery in a Camelbak Hawg with supplies so we are talking around 16 lbs plus a riding weight around 200 lbs. That is a total weight around 270 lbs/122 kg on a low powered/governed ebike. Ebikes have no benefit on the downhill and the regular mtn bike can outpace me on the flats so I have to try and make up time loss on the climb. It is just a different way to race for the KOM.
A regular old timey KOM holder is going to show up at a segment well rested, no extra gear, no water and tipping a buck fifty on the scales. They should welcome the competition from what would be classified as a Clyde! I also have 5 screws and a plate in my right ankle. Not that I want special treatment but that the traditional KOMie (see what I did there) should embrace the competition from ebikes and use it to improve their skills for a real race. Sure it is not going to happen but hey, I tried. LOL
Not long ago I got a KOM on a technical single track moto trail that goes straight up the mountain. The next day I got an email that I had lost the KOM by a minute by the former KOM holder. I don't know if the guy was riding a regular bike, an ebike, or a moto. It doesn't matter to me. It's all in good fun. I can't wait to go back and see if I can beat him. Cheers

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
So just to be clear, for me to get a KOM on an ebike is all in good fun. I don't care about the little ridiculous 25s segments. I am after the 1hr balls to the wall segments. The locals here are really possessive of their KOMs and any victory is quickly flagged and short lived so their is no need to get all upset that an ebiker is getting KOMs. Some KOMs are really old and the trail has been rebuilt with tall water bars or actually rerouted so the trail is not no longer in the original condition that the KOM was first set.
I look at it like I am doing these guys a favor by bringing some competition to an otherwise stale segment. It should be a feather in their cap that they can beat an ebike and they can have bragging rights. So my bike is 52 lbs, I usually carry an extra battery in a Camelbak Hawg with supplies so we are talking around 16 lbs plus a riding weight around 200 lbs. That is a total weight around 270 lbs/122 kg on a low powered/governed ebike. Ebikes have no benefit on the downhill and the regular mtn bike can outpace me on the flats so I have to try and make up time loss on the climb. It is just a different way to race for the KOM.
A regular old timey KOM holder is going to show up at a segment well rested, no extra gear, no water and tipping a buck fifty on the scales. They should welcome the competition from what would be classified as a Clyde! I also have 5 screws and a plate in my right ankle. Not that I want special treatment but that the traditional KOMie (see what I did there) should embrace the competition from ebikes and use it to improve their skills for a real race. Sure it is not going to happen but hey, I tried. LOL
Not long ago I got a KOM on a technical single track moto trail that goes straight up the mountain. The next day I got an email that I had lost the KOM by a minute by the former KOM holder. I don't know if the guy was riding a regular bike, an ebike, or a moto. It doesn't matter to me. It's all in good fun. I can't wait to go back and see if I can beat him. Cheers

Just because somebody else cheat does not give you permission to do the same...... I think that your attitude is outright pathetic and if there are many of your breed with that same stupid attitude I better understand why emtb's have a such a hard time in USA. If you are riding an emtb you flag it as an ebike ride or you are nothing but a poor cheater that can't even get close to KOM without a 750 watts engine giving support.....

Karsten

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
So, we created a solution that's a bit of a hack but seems to work. Nick Beeton did the original work and I tweaked it a bit to address some minor issues. There are, however, limitations on how many segments it will create at a time (due to Strava API limitations/throttling). Check it out here:

Duplicate Cycling Segments for Ebike Segments

caterhamnut

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
South West
Just because somebody else cheat does not give you permission to do the same...... I think that your attitude is outright pathetic and if there are many of your breed with that same stupid attitude I better understand why emtb's have a such a hard time in USA. If you are riding an emtb you flag it as an ebike ride or you are nothing but a poor cheater that can't even get close to KOM without a 750 watts engine giving support.....

Karsten

Karsten mate - maybe a bit of an over-reaction? I really don't think this is anything to do with getting emtb's a hard time in the States - many other real-world issues and misunderstandings do that - not an app...

I'm a leisure user (probably like 95% of people on this forum) who likes to use Strava as a way to measure myself (as someone mentioned above) - it's a bit of fun to see if I can go quicker on a certain section - in fact it is most useful as an 'automated' stopwatch....start-and-forget.
I used it tonight on the Quantocks for a run I like, and can compare previous runs of the same trail to show I am getting better (probably just 'knowledge' of the trail itself) - and yes, it is fun trying to break into that 'top 10' list - but my runs are always logged as 'e-bike' - I cannot tell you how excited I got when I was one above Rob H ;) (who has probably only done the run once on a visit, and blind - so a hollow victory lol ) - all it is doing is adding another dimension to my ride - all a bit of fun.

Taking 'our hobby' too seriously is probably what causes more 'damage' to any reputation than anything else...

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I th
Or you should try to be a bit more mature..........I think your attitude is disgusting and people like you is the culprit as to why there is a lot of resistance towards EMTB's!

Karsten

I think he was putting a light hearted spin on the thread. In saying that if people measure their lives by there accomplishments and KOM's on Strava then I reckon they're missing some other important aspects in their lives...sad really!

Last edited:

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
Cheers to Nick Beeton & Rick efforts, had to allow the stop my popup blocker from blocking the new windows that open, but seems to work really well for me. 1st ten segments copied/created!
Many thanks!

Gigs

May 24, 2019
Australia
In the absence of Strava doing something on their own, I've written a little javascript user script to automate the process of copying bike segments on a ride to ebike segments. I'm a programmer but not a javascript expert, so sorry for any bugs - it works for me, at least! Don't panic if the script accidentally creates a segment you didn't want - as long as it's yours, you can delete it, or change it from private to public (but NOT the other way). Also keep in mind that Strava limits you to creating 10 new segments a day.

Anyway, to use it, all you need to do is:

1. Download tampermonkey (Tampermonkey for Chrome) or another userscript manager

2. Open this link (https://github.com/nickbeeton/garminstuff/raw/master/Convert bike segments to ebike segments on Strava.user.js)

On tampermonkey at least, it will automatically ask you to install the script, so just click "Install"

3. Open any of your ebike rides on Strava - it should show you a couple new buttons titled "Copy Bike Segments to PUBLIC Ebike Segments" and "Copy Bike Segments to PRIVATE Ebike Segments". If you press one of these buttons, the script will briefly change your ebike ride to a bike ride, look at the list of bike segments on your ride, then change your ride back to ebike and try to create ebike segments with the same names and locations as the bike ride segments. You can open the developer console (Ctrl-Shift-I) to see if it failed for any reason - it will refuse to create an ebike segment that's too similar to one that exists already.

Let me know if it works for you, and what you think!

OK been playing with your script a bit nick and I have had no luck until I made the segments as private first then changed them to public. If I copied straight to public they would fail as only MTB segments and not eMTB segments.

Thanks for your work on this!

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I always have a bit of a chuckle at how serious some of the lycra brigade get with KOMs. I have seen groups of guys turn up at a segmant, stop and have a decent stretch them roll back 400-500m, turn around then do a full-on attack. Stop and have another stretch then cruise on to the next segment.
Working out of town one day, a couple hours after I observed a sustained attack at one segment an old guy that looked about 80 came along - had his wife on a scooter tow him up to about 50kph then he dropped the tow and attaked the segment. Have also seen 20 something riders being moto-paced by either a Brinco or a Sur-Ron with a big plywood shield attached to the back :LOL:

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
The way I look at is even golf has a handi cap. My KOMs are really inconsequential though because everyone in Salt Lake knows who the big dogs are and they quickly flag anyone that breaks through to the KOM that isn't well known. LOL. I do have some KOMs from Moab and every now and then I get an email that my ebike KOM has been dethroned. Ha!

Zoltan

Sep 21, 2019
Hungary
In the absence of Strava doing something on their own, I've written a little javascript user script to automate the process of copying bike segments on a ride to ebike segments. I'm a programmer but not a javascript expert, so sorry for any bugs - it works for me, at least! Don't panic if the script accidentally creates a segment you didn't want - as long as it's yours, you can delete it, or change it from private to public (but NOT the other way). Also keep in mind that Strava limits you to creating 10 new segments a day.

Anyway, to use it, all you need to do is:

1. Download tampermonkey (Tampermonkey for Chrome) or another userscript manager

2. Open this link (https://github.com/nickbeeton/garminstuff/raw/master/Convert bike segments to ebike segments on Strava.user.js)

On tampermonkey at least, it will automatically ask you to install the script, so just click "Install"

3. Open any of your ebike rides on Strava - it should show you a couple new buttons titled "Copy Bike Segments to PUBLIC Ebike Segments" and "Copy Bike Segments to PRIVATE Ebike Segments". If you press one of these buttons, the script will briefly change your ebike ride to a bike ride, look at the list of bike segments on your ride, then change your ride back to ebike and try to create ebike segments with the same names and locations as the bike ride segments. You can open the developer console (Ctrl-Shift-I) to see if it failed for any reason - it will refuse to create an ebike segment that's too similar to one that exists already.

Let me know if it works for you, and what you think!

Hi Nick,

thank you for your effort.
Could you make a short youtube video about it? it doesn't work for me.

Best Regards,
Zoltan

nickbeeton

Aug 9, 2019
Hobart, Australia
@nickbeeton - Cool - thanks Nick!

Hi Robin et al. The script unfortunately stopped working once Strava updated their webpage. I think/hope I've fixed it now - if you go to Tampermonkey and click on "Check for userscript updates" it should update it automatically. To make sure, go to installed userscripts and make sure it's at least version 0.5.2. Let me know how it goes - I'm not actually much of a javascript programmer so I'm sure there are still bugs!

Levo Laland

Nov 27, 2019
Surrey UK
If your save your ride as an Ebike ride when you create a segment from that ride it will automatically be created as a new Ebike segment. If you declare your ride an Ebike ride it will only appear in Ebike leaderboards.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles