Strava Segments / How to copy non ebike segments?

Knobby

Patreon
Jun 13, 2018
Hampshire, UK
Hello,

Hope this hasn't been covered already..

So in my area loads of local riders have created many segments over the years with non ebikes. Ebike segments are non existent in the area apart from the different ones I have created. Just trying to do my bike to stop the ebike haters..

I would like to copy the current non ebike segements and create them as ebike segments. I have found this tool Create GPX file from a Strava segment which allows you to export the tool to GPX but can now see no way of importing back into Strava to create the segment.

Any ideas?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Good question, hopefully you’ll get an answer, there’s loads of segments in the FoD that I want to copy as well.

Knobby

Patreon
Jun 13, 2018
Hampshire, UK
This tool is really good but also doesn’t do what we need

Strava segments

It appears that strava let’s you search cycling and running segments but nothing else. You can’t search ebike segments it doesn’t appear. Seems like minimal support for ebike users.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Maybe log a ticket with Strava and see if you can get them to add this to their list of feature to dos? It would be a huge job for members to do manually, but probably not hard for them to duplicate every segment with an ebike flag as a backend script ran overnight.

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
I suspect Strava will be reticent to do this as there are trail access issues in the US and porting over trails that are not for e-bikes would cause a huge drama! Doubt they would do the programming required for certain markets only. I am seriously thinking of just logging my rides as bike rides and seting them to private so they don't appear on leaderboards but I still get the segments.

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
In my first week of e-bike riding it was immediately clear that I had to make my Strava rides private as I was getting KOM's on climbs that I could never even dream of on a normal bike. It's a pity as my downhill times are pretty similar between e and normal. I have to admit that I enjoyed the "competition" in Strava :)

But one of my riding buddies has left his Strava open since he got his e-bike and has not re-named his ride. It's definately causing lot's of friction inside and also outside our group..... thinking Gollum here :)

Reactions: Bis

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
This post raises a good point, I've stopped logging my rides as Ebike ones now as was frustrated at the lack of segments on tracks I've ridden for years on non-Ebikes. To avoid bagging KOMs that I don't justify (or even want!), I specify each ride to be excluded from the leaderboards. So I get the segment detail without worrying about getting flagged or abused by others!

Knobby

Patreon
Jun 13, 2018
Hampshire, UK
Sure but that’s just a work around.

If Strava did more then they could have two leaderboards and having more ebike segments meant people would record them correctly.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I log every ride as ebike and I create my own segments. A few of them are rough copies of bike segments. Boy do I have lots of KOMs, I'm the only rider on most segments :rolleyes:

If people don't use the ebike category then it's no wonder why Strava don't put more effort into it. I think we should use the "e-bike" category and make our own segments. More content will make more people use it, and it's a good way to find other emtb'ers riding your trails.

Last edited:

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Have tried all of the above, from individually deleting all the climbs to going private and looking ebike too and it looks like most people just log it as private so as to have something to refer back to with some sort of detail. More and more though, I know that a lot of e bikes are just put on as normal bikes.

nickbeeton

Aug 9, 2019
Hobart, Australia
In the absence of Strava doing something on their own, I've written a little javascript user script to automate the process of copying bike segments on a ride to ebike segments. I'm a programmer but not a javascript expert, so sorry for any bugs - it works for me, at least! Don't panic if the script accidentally creates a segment you didn't want - as long as it's yours, you can delete it, or change it from private to public (but NOT the other way). Also keep in mind that Strava limits you to creating 10 new segments a day.

Anyway, to use it, all you need to do is:

1. Download tampermonkey (Tampermonkey for Chrome) or another userscript manager

2. Open this link (https://github.com/nickbeeton/garminstuff/raw/master/Convert bike segments to ebike segments on Strava.user.js)

On tampermonkey at least, it will automatically ask you to install the script, so just click "Install"

3. Open any of your ebike rides on Strava - it should show you a couple new buttons titled "Copy Bike Segments to PUBLIC Ebike Segments" and "Copy Bike Segments to PRIVATE Ebike Segments". If you press one of these buttons, the script will briefly change your ebike ride to a bike ride, look at the list of bike segments on your ride, then change your ride back to ebike and try to create ebike segments with the same names and locations as the bike ride segments. You can open the developer console (Ctrl-Shift-I) to see if it failed for any reason - it will refuse to create an ebike segment that's too similar to one that exists already.

Note: You will need to make sure that popups are enabled for Strava for this to work, and at least in Chrome you'll need to make sure you're using the English version of the browser.

Let me know if it works for you, and what you think!

Last edited:

Madmatt75

Nov 22, 2018
London
I don’t care what others think. I put MapMyRide on and go for a ride on my Triumph. I’ve set some pretty good times!

Reactions: 118

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
This is pretty funny.

Pretty much every off road segment on Strava is user created.
ie. someone recorded a ride went home and sat down and manually created the segment.

Emtbers be like...

:cool:

#Lazybastards

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
So to add to this, e bike segment on a climb. You get kom the next time you ride it. While at work you get notified you’ve lost your kom, how you think as you smashed it in turbo. You check the enemy’s time in great detail and find he’s 35 seconds quicker. Wtf you think........ then you realise .... De-restricted strav hero on e bike.....

These days strava is garbage, leaderboards aren’t a true reflection on times. I get different times between my watch,phone and garmin.

Oh yeah it would be easy if the segments all stayed the same between them both ????

Gigs

May 24, 2019
Australia
who cares about other riders. I use Strava to race myself. Ive got many segments with hundreds of rides on my old clockwork bike and emtb's over the years. Such a great tool to see how you are progressing over time and race yourself. Stuff all the other bitches that use GPS hacks etc to reduce times. Dont get hung up on that.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
who cares about other riders. I use Strava to race myself. Ive got many segments with hundreds of rides on my old clockwork bike and emtb's over the years. Such a great tool to see how you are progressing over time and race yourself. Stuff all the other bitches that use GPS hacks etc to reduce times. Dont get hung up on that.
So true. I use it to assess my progress.

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
I may have misunderstood Stava instructions so please be gentle but as I understand it the privacy settings must be set to " everyone" for an activity to register on a leaderboard
If set to "followers" or "only me" they don't show up on the actual leaderboard but will show in your own segments
So a ride could be recorded as a "Ride" not an "E bike" ride and all your segments would show up inc PBs ,medals and KOMs
but would not affect the actual Strava leaderboard even though your segment appears on your own leaderboard
I've had a play with my settings and that does appear to be correct
So you still get your KOM fix without upsetting the purists as you don't actually take their crown
I don't think " E BIKE" rides would be inc if it's done this way so probably unable to compete with other E bikes using this method at the moment
Would be nice if all segments were duplicated but until then this method could work
I've attached screenshots of Strava instructions on privacy control

Screenshot_2019-08-10-09-02-19.png

Screenshot_2019-08-10-09-00-20.png

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
In the absence of Strava doing something on their own, I've written a little javascript user script to automate the process of copying bike segments on a ride to ebike segments. I'm a programmer but not a javascript expert, so sorry for any bugs - it works for me, at least! Don't panic if the script accidentally creates a segment you didn't want - as long as it's yours, you can delete it, or change it from private to public (but NOT the other way). Also keep in mind that Strava limits you to creating 10 new segments a day.

Anyway, to use it, all you need to do is:

1. Download tampermonkey (Tampermonkey for Chrome) or another userscript manager

2. Open this link (https://github.com/nickbeeton/garminstuff/raw/master/Convert bike segments to ebike segments on Strava.user.js)

On tampermonkey at least, it will automatically ask you to install the script, so just click "Install"

3. Open any of your ebike rides on Strava - it should show you a couple new buttons titled "Copy Bike Segments to PUBLIC Ebike Segments" and "Copy Bike Segments to PRIVATE Ebike Segments". If you press one of these buttons, the script will briefly change your ebike ride to a bike ride, look at the list of bike segments on your ride, then change your ride back to ebike and try to create ebike segments with the same names and locations as the bike ride segments. You can open the developer console (Ctrl-Shift-I) to see if it failed for any reason - it will refuse to create an ebike segment that's too similar to one that exists already.

Let me know if it works for you, and what you think!
Just tried it on one of my local rides, seemed to have worked a treat!
Only problem is as you say, will only replicate the first 10 segments in one day.
So my question is, if I do the same again tomorrow on the same ride, will it miss out the first 10 segments that it's already created and go on to the next 10?
Thanks again though, sure saves a lot of time and may tempt riders to start using the e bike ride category on strava. (y)

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
I love getting KOMs on my ebike. I'll beat a KOM by a minute and then the former KOM holder stews about it all night, puts his spandex on, figures out how to shave a few grams off his bike, leaves his water at home to save weight, heads out the next day in the heat, beats my KOM by a couple of seconds. I let him have the glory for a couple of days and then hit the trail again with a slightly higher power setting. I'm providing a community service.:D:LOL:. They need me to make their life more meaningful. Ha.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I love getting KOMs on my ebike. I'll beat a KOM by a minute and then the former KOM holder stews about it all night, puts his spandex on, figures out how to shave a few grams off his bike, leaves his water at home to save weight, heads out the next day in the heat, beats my KOM by a couple of seconds. I let him have the glory for a couple of days and then hit the trail again with a slightly higher power setting. I'm providing a community service.:D:LOL:. They need me to make their life more meaningful. Ha.

Or you should try to be a bit more mature..........I think your attitude is disgusting and people like you is the culprit as to why there is a lot of resistance towards EMTB's!

Karsten

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
Strava is a tool used by bikers to "race" on multi use trails. If old timey bikes don't want to use the latest equipment to get KOMs then that is their problem. My bike is governed to 17 mph. Some trails are next to impossible to get a KOM with an ebike because the old timey bikes are much faster. I get passed all the time by road bikers, mountain bikers, and fat bikers (in the snow). The ebike is just another facet of biking and Strava users need to get over themselves. I've had Stravaholes yell "trail" at me many times. I can do a 20 mile ride and cover 50 segments. What the heck is up with that? If a segment isn't at least a mile it should be deleted. IMHO

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
The purpose is the "segment" is to race other users. The op wants to import segments for ebike use and I'm the tool. Ha

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles