Strange Specialized Butcher tire.

Kim

Apr 27, 2019
Norway
I got new Butcher tires from my dealer, but I cant find any info on them online. Sidewalls say Butcher Gripton 2Bliss.

Lokks like the same tire as standard Butcher, but with extra knobs.

Do anyone have this tire?
20190712_170340.jpg

Reactions: Dax

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Came on my Levo Comp. Replaced ASAP with Minion DHF and Agressor so I could have some confidence in the off-cambers and corners.
I found the Butchers uncertain through transition. Good traction in most circumstances and not too bad once in the corner but I like a bit more feel as I turn in.

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
I got new Butcher tires from my dealer, but I cant find any info on them online. Sidewalls say Butcher Gripton 2Bliss.

Lokks like the same tire as standard Butcher, but with extra knobs.

Do anyone have this tire? View attachment 16133

That’s different. I hope that it’s an improvement; I’ve been using Butcher tires for several years now and they are just about perfect for my local trails. Maybe the extra knobs would give a slightly better transition from braking to turning???

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Well here is a comparison of a Spesh Butcher and a Spesh eliminator.
I don’t know what you have there... maybe it’s a short run or pre production run. Maybe they tested that before bringing out the eliminators. ???

FA5F111F-78DF-4242-BBC4-CF7F4D5556B2.jpeg

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Butcher Gripton 2Bliss
The latest generation of the World-Cup-proven intermediate tyre, the Butcher GRID 2Bliss Ready, receives sawtooth faces on the tread blocks to increase stability under load and provide additional biting edges. This in turn improves rolling speed as well as control under hard braking and cornering. Meanwhile, our proprietary GRIPTON compound improves high frequency damping, attaching the tyre to the ground better on both small bumps and rough sections. The low frequencies of the rolling tyre deflections pass through unfiltered, leaving no energy absorbed, keeping speed high. Once you ride this new Butcher, you will never want another tyre for your gravity excursions. We recommend GRID tyres for anyone seeking the utmost in flat and sidewall protection or additional stability.

Kim

Apr 27, 2019
Norway
Butcher Gripton 2Bliss
The latest generation of the World-Cup-proven intermediate tyre, the Butcher GRID 2Bliss Ready, receives sawtooth faces on the tread blocks to increase stability under load and provide additional biting edges. This in turn improves rolling speed as well as control under hard braking and cornering. Meanwhile, our proprietary GRIPTON compound improves high frequency damping, attaching the tyre to the ground better on both small bumps and rough sections. The low frequencies of the rolling tyre deflections pass through unfiltered, leaving no energy absorbed, keeping speed high. Once you ride this new Butcher, you will never want another tyre for your gravity excursions. We recommend GRID tyres for anyone seeking the utmost in flat and sidewall protection or additional stability.
I think that is from when they released the normal Butcher tire (left on picture above).

Maybe Specialized re-designed the pattern for 2.8 size tires.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
They look pretty good.

Personally can't fault the butchers for my usual mix of dirt, roots and rock, usually damp or wet. Not loving the minions, they dont inspire confidence on wet clay or dusty hard pack, and seem prone to pinches.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I think that is from when they released the normal Butcher tire (left on picture above).

Maybe Specialized re-designed the pattern for 2.8 size tires.

Is the current Butcher Grid as on my 2019 Levo Comp purchased last month.

Kim

Apr 27, 2019
Norway
Is the current Butcher Grid as on my 2019 Levo Comp purchased last month.
Are you sure? Just looked at your bike thread(awsome bike btw) and it looks like your tires are the same as listed on the Specialized website.

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
@Kim has purchased new Butcher tyres with a never seen before tread pattern in size 27.5 x 2.8 shown in post #1

@Rusty has a new 2019 Levo Comp, he thinks has the same tread pattern.

We know 2019 Levo comes with Butchers tyres in size 29 x 2.6 -- normally with the tread pattern shown in post #6 (left on picture).

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Are you sure? Just looked at your bike thread(awsome bike btw) and it looks like your tires are the same as listed on the Specialized website.
Different markets I think - We only get the Expert Carbon down here and none of them come with Fox forks.

These are what is on it and are different from the Butcher GRID on the 2018 models.
FRONT TYRE
Butcher, GRID casing, GRIPTON® compound, 2Bliss Ready, 29x2.6"
REAR TYRE
Butcher, GRID casing, GRIPTON® compound, 2Bliss Ready, 29x2.6"

tabrat

Sep 29, 2019
Ventura CA
hate Butchers. Went down 5 x hard in 2 weeks. Switched to Maxxis Assegai and Agressor and fixed that problem.
i wouldn’t put them on my bike if they were free.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The Butcher has been upgraded and the newer one is called the Butcher Trail. The later one has the additional knobs between the centre and edge knobs so the Butcher is no longer a channel design. The extra transition knobs should resolve the scary drift you get when cornering if you do not lean the bike fully into the turn ( bike/rider separation) . Ps if you like the original design they have been at half price for ages on the Specialized site....maybe all sold now!)

Peko

Sep 23, 2018
Germany
I’ve gone from Butchers to Maxxis and back to Butchers (Black Diamond).

So did I.
After a few wet November rides with my 2020 Kenevo, I changed the 27,5 x 2,6 Butchers to the Maxxis Assegai 27,5 x 2,6 and was happy with them.

Just for fun I gave the butchers a second chance on my Levo two months ago and compared them directly on the same trail. The only difference is the rim width of the wheel-sets. Levo=35mm, Kenevo=28mm.

And I was totally surprised ... They are playing in another league at dry and hard conditions then the Assegai's.
Don't know, if the width makes such a big difference, but the Butchers are my favorite for now in summer.

And who knows... If it should ever rain again here someday?, I will make a new compare in wet conditions, too.

Peko

Sep 23, 2018
Germany
Not mine.
The 2017 Levo originally has 38mm wheelsets. But I built my ones with the DT Swiss HX581 Rims. 35mm are correct then. ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles