Levo Gen 2 Strange Software/Ant+ Bug my Levo developed

NoPro

Aug 2, 2019
Austria
Hi all,

I have this strange Software Bug my Levo (2020 Comp) developed that I was able to capture by acident on my last ride.
I normaly record all my rides with my Garmin Fenix Watch mounted to the handlebar and I have seen this bug now and than but a reboot of the bike ususaly solves it and I didnt think of it. What happens is that the speed sensor constantly sends 26,9kph even if you stop.

So on my last ride we wanted to ride a tour I got as GPX and since I am having a hard time following routes on the tiny display of the Garmin watch I decidet to mount my phone running Blevo and use the map feature there (works great btw) while keeping the watch on my arm and record as usual. When we came home and stoped the activity I was suprised that the Garmin congratulated me on a new record. So when reviewing the data I found that this strange bug hit once more and the Garmin also recordet a distance that did not match the route.

Investigating further I imported the GPX from Blevo into garmin, here are some screen shots of the same ride:
GARMIN.png

BLEVO.png

My first thought was that the problem lies with Garmin but than I looked at the Battery Monitor in Blevo and it now shows a difference in "km" and "real km"

Batterymonitor.png

In fact I could not care less what bugs me is that it now looks like I have tampered with the bike and the speed restriction and how it will affect warranty,
and yes the battery has 74 charge cycles this is the 3rd Motor the bike itself has 4800km on it.

any suggestions/ideas

NoPro

Aug 2, 2019
Austria
To follow up on myself, went for a ride and it did it again (this time without Blevo), also my statement in the first post that it shows it even if you stop is not correct it just feels like it. When you stop it takes 5-10sec to drop to 0 and when you start pedalling again it immediately is back at 26kph
LevoBug.png

Red part zoomed in:
LevoBugZoom.png

While I am aware that only specialized will be able to help with this "special" problem I keep posting here because it is easier to link to this tread other than descibing the problem on the phone to my lbs.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I confirm sometimes I get similar behaviour (speed freezes on a random value, and goes to 0 when stopped) using Garmin Fenix 6x or Garmin Edge 530 with 2020 Levo, it goes to normal if Levo is restarted, will try to find affected activity and post screenshot here later ...

NoPro

Aug 2, 2019
Austria
I confirm sometimes I get similar behaviour (speed freezes on a random value, and goes to 0 when stopped) using Garmin Fenix 6x or Garmin Edge 530 with 2020 Levo, it goes to normal if Levo is restarted, will try to find affected activity and post screenshot here later ...

My watch is also a Fenix 6x but as I said before I dont think the issue lies with Garmin, if you happen to have Blevo it would be interesting to know what your Battery monitor says about "km" and "real km". Also I started to click through my old activitys and found at least 3 more with this bug all of them show values between 25 and 27 kph so right after the motor cuts out. It also seems that the problem started with my 2nd Motor so Iam narrowing it down to the speedsensor or TCU.

Reactions: HDC

NoPro

Aug 2, 2019
Austria
Found it, speed frozen at 27,2 km/h:

thank you, yea that looks familiar I realy appreciate you looking into it! It always makes you feel better to know that you are not the only one with a problem like that. Do you run the latest firmware? because I dont.

jonasdig

May 18, 2020
Norway
Did anyone find a solution to this? I got the same problem with a 2019 Turbo Levo and Garmin 945. Bike and clock has the latest firmware.

I tried to find a way to force the clock to use GPS speed but haven´t found any.

Sep 21, 2021
UK
Hi. This is happening on my brand new '22 Turbo Levo Expert. Happens each time after a couple of hours of riding. Speed freezes at 16mph (which is close to 27kph).
Not tried turning the TCU on and off - good to know that might work. Using Garmin 830.
Would love to get to th bottom of this.
@Specialized Rider Care

Sep 21, 2021
UK
@Zimmerframe - you are a prolific commentator on the forums, and I hold you in high esteem (apologies for the sycophancy). You also own a Turbo Levo Gen 3, so just wandering if you have come across this problem before/can direct me to the right thread/can offer advice etc...
Thank you in advance..

Sep 21, 2021
UK
To add further colour to the issue - using a Garmin 830, and have downloaded the Garmin IQ Bike field - which I am wandering has something to do with it. Have added additional screens/data fields to the TCU, without issue. The problem seems to happen "after a while" into the ride. The speed on the Garmin freezes at 16mph, and consequently the power assistance - in any mode - seems to drop/behave strangely. Def a software not a hardware problem....

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@Zimmerframe - you are a prolific commentator on the forums, and I hold you in high esteem (apologies for the sycophancy). You also own a Turbo Levo Gen 3, so just wandering if you have come across this problem before/can direct me to the right thread/can offer advice etc...
Thank you in advance..
Hi ! Sorry, missed this one some how.

I'm a prolific something .. but I'm not sure what ! :)

Yours is possibly a bit different to the previous reports as you're on the Mastermind TCU (Gen3), where as everyone else is Gen2 - old TCU.

You also won't be using Blevo as it's sadly not compatible with the Mastermind (They locked it down rather than working with Paolo), so we can't use that in parallel to get more information.

The speed on the Garmin freezes at 16mph, and consequently the power assistance - in any mode - seems to drop/behave strangely. Def a software not a hardware problem....
It's basically thinking it's hit the limit and pulsing the power to give you minimum assistance. You'd think if it was a software bug, more people with the mastermind would have raised it (KSL's/Levo Gen3's), but then if it was a faulty speed sensor, you wouldn't expect it to be consistently sending a signal which would represent a steady speed.

Does it do it if you don't have the Garmin connected ?

@PaoloBLEvo Not sure if you've seen this thread ? @sebastian holdfast's problem obviously isn't Blevo related, but you might have seen the problem mentioned earlier in the thread previously ?

Sep 21, 2021
UK
@Zimmerframe thank you for your thoughts. Not tried it without the Garmin, which I will do. Also loaded a couple more TCU screens with additional stats (partly to cover not having all the bike info displayed on the Garmin, and partly to see if the speed on the TCU matches the Garmin). Hoping to get to the bottom of it, although it's a first world problem. Thanks again.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Also not sure why Spesh should be interested given that neither Blevo or Garmin are their products. I would guess what you describe is a blutooth comms issue and running more than one blutooth device is certaily likely to lead to transmission interference.

NoPro

Aug 2, 2019
Austria
Also not sure why Spesh should be interested given that neither Blevo or Garmin are their products. I would guess what you describe is a blutooth comms issue and running more than one blutooth device is certaily likely to lead to transmission interference.

the bike is connected via ant+ and I almost never ride with blevo I just cought it that one time because I wanted to use the map.

On another note I just looked back at my Garmin activities and it seems to have only happend with one (the 3rd) of my 4 motors. First time recorded 2 days after motor change and the last time on the ride before it died. On the plus side that motor did 5429,8km and was the longest lasting :rolleyes: till now (knocks on wood).
That beeing said maybe the TCU was not bound to the motor correctly, I mean software wise, after the change?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
the bike is connected via ant+ and I almost never ride with blevo I just cought it that one time because I wanted to use the map.

On another note I just looked back at my Garmin activities and it seems to have only happend with one (the 3rd) of my 4 motors. First time recorded 2 days after motor change and the last time on the ride before it died. On the plus side that motor did 5429,8km and was the longest lasting :rolleyes: till now (knocks on wood).
That beeing said maybe the TCU was not bound to the motor correctly, I mean software wise, after the change?
........same congested 2.4khz frequency band! Compared to bt ant+is also shorter range and much lower bit rate. Its really designed for things like heart monitors etc where the data transfer is small. Maybe the data you are asking it to capture and store is overload??

NoPro

Aug 2, 2019
Austria
........same congested 2.4khz frequency band! Compared to bt ant+is also shorter range and much lower bit rate. Its really designed for things like heart monitors etc where the data transfer is small. Maybe the data you are asking it to capture and store is overload??
True it is the same frequency but as far as I know ant+ is designed to have up to 8 devices connected simulaneously. I may have something to do with the way specialized integrated it since the speed/cadence sensor shows up as one when you connect it.

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese
Hi ! Sorry, missed this one some how.

I'm a prolific something .. but I'm not sure what ! :)

Yours is possibly a bit different to the previous reports as you're on the Mastermind TCU (Gen3), where as everyone else is Gen2 - old TCU.

You also won't be using Blevo as it's sadly not compatible with the Mastermind (They locked it down rather than working with Paolo), so we can't use that in parallel to get more information.

It's basically thinking it's hit the limit and pulsing the power to give you minimum assistance. You'd think if it was a software bug, more people with the mastermind would have raised it (KSL's/Levo Gen3's), but then if it was a faulty speed sensor, you wouldn't expect it to be consistently sending a signal which would represent a steady speed.

Does it do it if you don't have the Garmin connected ?

@PaoloBLEvo Not sure if you've seen this thread ? @sebastian holdfast's problem obviously isn't Blevo related, but you might have seen the problem mentioned earlier in the thread previously ?
In the Garmin Connect I saw that when the data is not present in the FIT file, is it considered the latest value. So it seems that the speed is not updated.. this is very strange... it seems a bug in the Garmin device...
BLEvo is configured to record the data with GPS or with Bike sensor?

Sep 21, 2021
UK
Hi Paolo - I don't have BLEvo installed - as @Zimmerframe said in an earlier post, I have a Gen 3 Turbo Levo, with a TCU, which I don't think supports BLEvo. So I have the Garmin 830 paired to the TCU, and I have downloaded/added the eBike screen from the Garmin IQ store. I will disconnect the Garmin and see what that does. And report back. Thanks for all the posts.

JohnnyP

May 26, 2019
France
I have this speed freeze with my 2019 levo an Garmin Edge 1000. I believe it to be a bike speed signal issue because; if I disable the speed/cadence sensor from the bike on the Garmin sensors page and then fit my Garmin speed sensor on the front hub and use that for speed/distance recording on the Garmin, the problem goes away. Strangely I still get a cadence reading on the Garmin with the bike speed/cadence disabled? Beats the shit out of me so I'll just continue using the Garmin speed sensor and hope that the next firmware update fixes it.

Sep 21, 2021
UK
Quick update. Got speed freeze again today, on the Garmin. Turned the Levo off and on again - problem solved. Minor inconvenience while I figure out the real cause (which I strongly suspect is the eBike Screen app on Garmin IQ)

HDC

Jul 11, 2021
France
Hi ! Same bug here. I have a Garmin Epix watch and the Garmin Edge recording speed/ cad from my turbo levo expert. They both report the speed freeze at the same time/ same random value (probably the last being sent). I think the tcu stop broadcasting the speed for some reason… after shut/ start of the tcu, speed value comes back…

Hopefully Spez will fix this bug in next release. Annoying…

Thx

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles