sTOOD uP

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Hey everyone, stupid question Friday! I've just watched a bike review where they were talking about the bike getting "stood up" in tight corners. Can anyone please explain exactly what this means?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
They mean that the bike doesnt want to be leaned over, ie it feels like it wants to come back up to vertical when you try and lean it over.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
What causes would they be talking about? I would have thought it would be all body position & foot pressure not necessarily the bike?

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
What causes would they be talking about? I would have thought it would be all body position & foot pressure not necessarily the bike?
Yes, that's an interesting question! I think they're referring to how the bike's geo affects body position and handling. I've seen this term used before, but it was a review on our beloved (or not) Rail that led me to ask the question. They're talking about feeling a bit perched on top of rather than being inside the bike. I definitely had that "perched on top of" feeling on my 27.5 Remedy, not so much on the Rail. Here's the review if you're curious:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
To me it means ...as Gary said....you have to brake....or crash....because for one reason or another the bike will not make the turn at the speed you enter. It could be geo, tyres , suspension or technique but assuming an experienced and competent rider is aboard the blame will be put on bike design.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Braking in a turn causes ALL bikes to stand up.
blame lies entirely with the rider.
Coming from a moto background getting stood up was always due to taking the gas off halfway through a turn that's why I couldn't understand how a mtb could get stood up unless as you say they throw the anchor out.
I also understand Phils comment re being perched on top rather than in the bike - I def felt that 1st time I rode the Rail compared to my analogue bike.
Edit- just watched the video. They can throw a bike around pretty well. I'd be interested to see how they'd find the cornering with some better tyres

Last edited:

Madmatt75

Nov 22, 2018
London
It’s probably the same as motorcycles. The bike will try to stand up in a corner if your heavy with the front brake, if you use some rear brake the bike will pull into the turn. Just don’t use too much rear brake, as that can skid the rear out.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
getting stood up was always due to taking the gas off halfway through a turn that's why I couldn't understand how a mtb could get stood up unless as you say they throw the anchor out.
Engine braking is still braking.
It's not just throwing the anchor out. Dragging your brake slightly is enough to make an mtb stand up in a corner. Dont worry too much about it. Your body naturally counters the bike standing up and most beginners don't even know they're doing anything wrong.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Yeah, you're all pretty close. I think I have it, I had to think about it; haven't had it happen for 20 years or so. Why doesn't it happen more often in corners? Coming up to a corner too hot and grabbing handfuls of brake will keep the bike going in a straight line - that's more common. Most good motorcycle riders on the road will trail brake through a corner - that is apply a bit of front brake (generally) while keeping up some revs. It's a kind of gradual process through the corner, tapering off near the apex, then gradually laying on more revs through the apex and out. This levels out the suspension (braking moves weight to the front, revs move weight to the rear). Not something to do in the wet, especially because most of us trail brake with the front - if you're really leaned over you're hanging off the inside of the bike and your inside foot only has the toe on top of the peg for better clearance, so you can't use the rear brake on rights. On mtb I imagine most of us use the rear brake for trail braking because both brake levers are on the bar. The other huge advantage, which does translate to mtb (the suspension leveling obviously can't because generally we can't pedal through corners), is if you're part way through a corner, leaned over, and the corner is turning in harder than you anticipated, you can actually apply a bit more brake (if you're already trail braking), and the bike will drop in more. If you don't trail brake, go into the corner then decide "ooh ooh, this is turning in too hard", grab some brake, the bike will stand up and go straight (or slide). With mtb I am guilty of trail braking into berms, corners etc more than I should. I imagine a good rider who lets off their brakes, leans the bike down for a berm or corner, misjudges then grabs some brake - if it doesn't slide out it will stand up. As Gary said, you can't blame that on the bike.

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Ride your bike MOAR.
Stop thinking about motorbikes.
You'll get there.
?
It was all stuff I'd mostly forgotten about. I don't think any of it is really applicable to mtb because of traction, other than trail braking for slow manoeuvring etc. Who's heard of standing an mtb up mid corner? I can't imagine it happening :LOL: Now, braking hard before a corner and going straight :oops:, I'm guessing that happens a fair bit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles