STOLEN

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
We reach a point in life when we can afford the bikes of our dreams due to years of hard work and then some spiteful low life scum helps themselves to it. The loss of my bike put me in debt and I also had to spend a lot of money beefing up home security. As my garage is not actually attached to my house it's just seen as theft and not burglary. The thieves must know this and I bet the law is a lot more lenient with them Due to this. You get caught stealing a bike from a garage, I bet the punishment is feck all.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I installed a GPS chip in my mountain bike
I considered that for mine, even though it's fully insured. Decided against it in the end because:
  • I'm too much of a wus to confront a bunch of bike thieves
  • I'd have to be sure that the police would do something useful with the information in a timely manner
  • What state would my bike be in by the time I got it back?

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I considered that for mine, even though it's fully insured. Decided against it in the end because:
  • I'm too much of a wus to confront a bunch of bike thieves
  • I'd have to be sure that the police would do something useful with the information in a timely manner
  • What state would my bike be in by the time I got it back?

If the police wont help, then I'm sure you can collect help from this forum.
+200 members /will/ take down any bike thieves.

If your bike is harmed....don't get it back, but wait for the insurance payment.
But it's important to stop the thieves (it's hard to steal bikes, when your arms has been disabled :) )

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Lucky i ride a Giant, thieves pass me by for my neighbours exotica! I see posters go for blame, that its your own fault! must be Strava must be social media. Dont blame yourself, you must be gutted. But it just goes to show what thieves are capable of. Reminds me to keep good insurance. Its quite cheap too.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
A guy I knew back in the day got caught red handed robbing a house. The police put him in their police car, he said he needed the toilet (so he could run off), they said no. He successfully sued them for breaching his human rights and got to keep the stolen goods as well as a tidy tax payer funded payout!

Justice system in this country (UK) is just bizarre...

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
A friend of mine had an idea the other day..... what about using a Blevo or Mission Control setting of 0% for all the modes to when you park up your bike after a ride. Then if it gets stolen they will not be able to get working properly without taking it to a shop. Obviously you would need to remove the pin number from the TCU so that they can't access the motor/TCU by just downloading the BLEVO or MC app.
Yes they would still be able to ride it without motor assistance but soon get fed up with that. I think the PIN access is only on 2019 onward bikes and I'm not sure BLEVO even asks for the PIN when you first connect a new bike? If not maybe this is something Paolo could add in to the app.

Would this work? Please give feedback on this possible disabling idea.

Last edited:

congerball

Jun 3, 2019
Yorkshire UK
A guy I knew back in the day got caught red handed robbing a house. The police put him in their police car, he said he needed the toilet (so he could run off), they said no. He successfully sued them for breaching his human rights and got to keep the stolen goods as well as a tidy tax payer funded payout!

Justice system in this country (UK) is just bizarre...
Sounds like a right c*#t.

Last edited by a moderator:

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
My new Levo Expert last night. Professional targeted job- they drilled out the garage door lock then used an angle grinder to cut through the ground anchor. Didn’t hear a thing (neither did the dog!). Absolutely gutted ?
Utter scumbags....no doubt will be shipped abroad. Hope the police catch up with these ratbags.

Makende

Nov 15, 2018
Malvern Hills
Hi all - the best way to stop these vermin (and this sounds obvious) is to prevent them getting to the bike in the first place. Make your garage too much of a pain in the arse to attempt a break in - sadly this means they’ll go somewhere else, but that’s how the world works. Top tips:
1. Lights - check your sensors every night - scum will often move the sensor the night before they visit so as not to set the light off.
2. Door hinges - if the fixings are exposed use coach bolts that go through the door. Use dog bolted hinges if you can.
3. Side doors/windows - put up window bars (preferably inside - they’re FM ugly) and use widow bars that have horizontal stiffeners. If you have to fit them on the outside use once only fasteners or spoil the heads.
4. Padlocks - generally crap - if you have to use them try to protect the shackle from cutting/levering by shrouding it and padlock from the inside if you have that as an option.

could go on but you get the gist. For the same money you spend out on a fancy camera you could do a half decent job of securing your ebike - that way you’ll still have an ebike rather than an utterly useless video of the vermin that stole your pride and joy!!!

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
See sense air have a gizmo that fits to your bike in an unobtrusive place and you get alerts when it’s moved, I know it’s not much help for you mate but if you get your bike back it’s a possible option, I’m getting it for my bike like really soon, I just hope the scumbags have a nasty end who stole it ?
Agreed. May the fleas of a thousand camels infect the armpits and pubes of the p.o.s. who stole the bike.

MadDash

Oct 24, 2019
Connecticut USA
It's a Damn shame.
Hello Specialized...there's a market here.
Have yet to see a practical tech solution to geofencing and tracking a bike.
It sounds like you guys have it rough over there.
All the great bike ideas come from Europe, someone will eventually cash in on a deliverable solution.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Fit a >150db alarm! Standard ear protection wont even be able to help the scum bags. Anything over 150db doesnt just cause hearing loss but affects most of your internal organs! Crank it up to over 170db and the majority of application specific ear defenders wont cope either.

Just dont let your wife/kids/pets/friends near it accidentally.

Either that or build an infrasound generator. We used derivatives of those to disable targets a few years back. Essentially if implemented correctly, theyll trigger ‘being scared’ type feelings within humans causing the majority to run away. Those who dont, crank up the power and watch them collapse helplessly to the ground ?

Last edited:

Johnny

Jan 20, 2019
Wheels05
Don’t forget that thieves have been known to return at a later date to steal the replacement.

The extremely loud alarm is a good idea, we’ve got one in our garage and occasionally I’m a bit slow entering the pin and it goes off. It’s so loud it makes my eardrums crackle and is extremely unpleasant. The only thing kept in our garage though is a car.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
few years back some assholes stole my wifes trekking bike. Found the bike via monitoring of second hand sites across Europe. After 3,5 months I got a hit. Bike was in Poland. Called police did nothing, then called the police in Poland. They went with man/women with excuse to buy a bike. Saw my wife's bike arrested the bastard and eventually they uncovered a wide ranging criminal gang operating over several countries.
Got in my car drove to Poland, had a nice talk with local police, gave them a present and drove drove back with my wife's bike :). Police there were so surprised I would drive all the way up there to collect a bike. I actually got a tour from a local police officer around the city and country side. So nice.
Ohh yeah.....I F*cking hate thieves ....
**changed polen to poland

Last edited:

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
OP do you have a pic of the bike?
I saw a post on Southampton police fb page looking for the owner of a grey Specialized (not sure if levo/kenevo) ebike they had recovered.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
A curse on you dogs . I think I better update my insurance. My bike is a bit under insured. When I lived in Africa. There was a guy who had his car stolen like twice . So he bought another car and left poison jack Daniels bottle in the car . They later found his car with two dead policemen inside . Now I don't think its ok to kill car thieves . But bike thieves ... um yes for shore .
This is gutting as anyone who's had it happen to them knows.
Sadly in UK you can be prosecuted if you intentionally inflict harm on thieves. Tony Martin Even if they accidentally injure themselves on your property, you are liable. It is why so many business premises have warning signs up. We can only use " reasonable force" to defend ourselves.
The only advice is up your security even more ie more and better doors and locks, cameras, alarms and minimise the window of opportunity they have. Jewlers fit something like this https://www.thealarmingman.co.uk/products/inferno-sound-barrier/ with strobe lights and smoke dispensers. They can't steal what they can't see.
One more thing I think we can all do is ask for the providence of anything we buy second hand. ie ask sufficient questions for proof the seller bought it.

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
Sadly in UK you can be prosecuted if you intentionally inflict harm on thieves. Tony Martin Even if they accidentally injure themselves on your property, you are liable. It is why so many business premises have warning signs up. We can only use " reasonable force" to defend ourselves.
The only advice is up your security even more ie more and better doors and locks, cameras, alarms and minimise the window of opportunity they have. Jewlers fit something like this Inferno Sound Barrier - The Alarming Man with strobe lights and smoke dispensers. They can't steal what they can't see.
One more thing I think we can all do is ask for the providence of anything we buy second hand. ie ask sufficient questions for proof the seller bought it.

The law does seem to be on the side of the crim, thanks to Guardian reading snow flake woke brigade.
I've always said if they break into my property, they'll need ambulance for them & a police car for me.
I do actually have a baseball bat next to my bed & I WILL use it. My Rottweiler also sleeps in my room.
If don't believe me.... Have a go.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
The only advice is up your security even more ie more and better doors and locks, cameras, alarms and minimise the window of opportunity they have. Jewlers fit something like this Inferno Sound Barrier - The Alarming Man with strobe lights and smoke dispensers. They can't steal what they can't see.
Reasonable force means just that , you can’t chop someone’s hands off for stealing !
I do agree about the 2nd hand market , people only steal what sells !
About 10 years ago we had 2 mx bikes nicked , one thief crashed just down the road and hit a walk which was fatal . If only he’d stolen one of the many helmets we had !

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
The law does seem to be on the side of the crim, thanks to Guardian reading snow flake woke brigade.
I've always said if they break into my property, they'll need ambulance for them & a police car for me.
I do actually have a baseball bat next to my bed & I WILL use it. My Rottweiler also sleeps in my room.
If don't believe me.... Have a go.
No good having your Rottweiler in the bed mate unless that’s what you call the mrs ??

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles